Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-10-29 20.21.21.jpg
2013-10-29 20.21.36.jpg
2013-10-29 20.16.29S.jpg
Volley 1000-8.jpg
2013-10-28 10.38.53.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Has anyone attempted to dye or somehow color new inserts to old inserts. I picked up some from PBR and they are very different in color and would like to bring them closer to the aged originals. Not so because they don't match the ones that are in there now which I'm replacing anyway but more so the white/grey looks awful when placed in the aged playfield.

Not sure what to use yet to dye them but there must be something simple that would work.

2013-10-28 10.38.53.jpg2013-10-28 10.38.53.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Hot tea?

RM

#3 10 years ago

Some kind of varnish?
Some plastics dont really enjoy various matte or gloss varnish and become a yellowed colour.
Of course that would mean testing...

#4 10 years ago

idk tbh. you might have better luck trying to retr0brite the old ones to like new condition.
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/‎

#5 10 years ago

Ya, I popped the new ones in and they looked awful. Just don't look good for the overall tone of the playfield.

#6 10 years ago

Don't worry about tinting the plastic, tint the clearcoat. Mostly, that is what has gone yellow anyway. Use a universal tint and your favorite clear. I use acrylic lacquer. Tint it the color you like and airbrush it on until you get the darkness you are looking for.
Volley 1000-8.jpgVolley 1000-8.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Will you be using waterslide decals to add the numbers to them? If so, then maybe pick up the color as part of the decal (just speculating).

#8 10 years ago

So....why did you put new ones in anyway? The old ones look fine. The artwork can easily be fixed.

#9 10 years ago

This playfield was missing 12 inserts when I got it. They all popped out and ran away during it's 25 years in barn. Don't blame them really, it wasn't the best living conditions.

Hey Dirt yep I'm going to use waterslide decals but was hoping not to get into too much coloring with them but that is an idea none the less.

The entire playfield needs to be clearcoated because the paint is about to fall off as well, basically this is a salvage project to avoid it from ending up into the landfill. The playfield will never be great because of the paints condition so all I want is the inserts to not look horrendously out of place within it.

#10 10 years ago

Look around in the bottom, under the apron, under the relay board - all that. Usually they don't actually go anywhwere, but maybe you just got unlucky.

#11 10 years ago

Way past that my friend, found a few but still missing 12.

#12 10 years ago

What game? Ship Ahoy?

#13 10 years ago

Buccaneer

Here are some pics to show exactly what I'm looking at.

This one is of the Original Buc Inserts, then some Scuba inserts, then Scuba inserts sanded, then the new ones.

2013-10-29 20.16.29S.jpg2013-10-29 20.16.29S.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Here is one of the new inserts placed in the playfield, keep in mind nothing else is actually white on this playfield.

2013-10-29 20.21.36.jpg2013-10-29 20.21.36.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Another with flash just to show the difference.

2013-10-29 20.21.21.jpg2013-10-29 20.21.21.jpg

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

What game? Ship Ahoy?

How did you guess that.... impressive.

#17 10 years ago

Wonder how'd they do with a coating of lacquer and sitting in the sun for awhile (ideally something less than 30 years). Or maybe something like Bulls Eye shellac, which likes to yellow more like the aged look of the playfield. Worst case, could be sanded back off.

#18 10 years ago

I've done some searching and tea or vegetable dye doesn't hold. I've read about Rit Dyes, apparently they're pretty good but I'm afraid they may be too strong.

Your coating idea may work, Ron suggested maybe using a UV light.

Whatever I use needs to be compatible with my SprayMax or Varathane clear.

#19 10 years ago

'How did you guess that?'
Don't know too many other games that have numbered inserts that go to at least 11 (12 in this case).I totally agree that the new ones are way too 'cool' white. I wish Steve could warm up a lot of those type parts. I'm in the school of 'yellow is better' posts as well. I have put new ones on a game, but only when they were really, really discolored.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-insert-color-matching and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.