• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by UCSBrandon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi,
I ordered a replacement dome motor for High Speed a month or so ago. That motor when installed would repeatedly stick and stop turning. If I manually rotated it a bit, it would unstick and be ok for a few cycles but would always eventually stop and stick again.

I am at my wits end with this because I got a replacement motor and it does the same exact thing!
Motors are from Marco specialties, was good customer service to replace my motor in less than a week of contact with them.
Has anyone else seen this behavior? anybody else replace a motor with one of Marcos?

I have checked and triple checked my connections, I just cant figure out why this happens. Its very disappointing.

Any help would be appreciated. I would love to get verification that I have it wired correctly from someone that has a working HS.

Thank you!

#2 6 years ago

Sometimes its the metal cover on the motor that is rubbing (internally). Make sure its attached straight or if you can pop it off try it. Mine was loose and making a grinding noise until I straightened it out. My friends fell off his game in the back box ( HS2 ).

The beacon motor is AC so it does not have a lot of torque to start turning.

#3 6 years ago

My whole assembly was missing, so I opted for just getting a 12vdc beacon from amazon to shove inside the red dome. The power going out of the cabinet IS 24VAC so you have to covert it to run a 12vdc automotive beacon. Here's a thread about doing so:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternatives-to-beacon-topper-on-high-speed

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Sometimes its the metal cover on the motor that is rubbing (internally). Make sure its attached straight or if you can pop it off try it. Mine was loose and making a grinding noise until I straightened it out. My friends fell off his game in the back box ( HS2 ).
The beacon motor is AC so it does not have a lot of torque to start turning.

Thanks for the tip.

#5 6 years ago

Back when I first got the game. I got three bad motors in a row from Williams.

4th one worked.

You sure yours is sticking or a bad bunch of motors ?

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

The lamp reflector on my HS2 was catching on the mount. I had to bend it a little to get it to spin freely. May be your problem, might be something else.

#7 6 years ago

You should be able to rotate the beacon smoothly with no binding. Try running the motor exterior of the beacon to see if it's working smoothly and rotate the beacon by hand to look for binding

#8 6 years ago

I have the exact same problem. Same motor, from Marco.

It's neanderthal, but I find giving the pin a little nudge always gets it spinning. Go right, though, same direction as the rotation. Like giving it a little kickstart.

When I get some time this summer I'll take it apart and check if anything is blocking the spin. It always seems to stick in the exact same place.

#9 6 years ago

If nothing else...this is therapy because at least I am not experiencing a unique problem

Ya know I may be dealing with a bad bunch of motors, especially considering that brewmanager is having the same problem from the same vendor, and I am on my second motor from marco.

It will spin if I give it a push...but that sucks, it should come on every time reliably. At this point I think I will try taking a look at the actual motor, make sure gears are all lined up etc.

Thanks again

#10 6 years ago

Guess I lucked out. Picked up the motor from Marcos not too long ago and works perfect. (Hopin it stays that way and I didn't just give it the kiss of death.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sandusky, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside