(Topic ID: 179546)

Replacement for an obsolete triac BT139-500E?

By gmkalos

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ScreenHunter_235 Jan. 26 13.19 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi can anyone help me find a replacement for an obsolete transistor BT139-500E (9123), It's for my PZ the lower half of the BG led's went out and just today lost the Red PF Leds am I doing something wrong with Coin Taker NG on the PF and CT 4-Led in the BG? Thank you guys

#2 7 years ago

And should I turn off the dimming function when using Leds?

#3 7 years ago

Digikey have nearly 9000 in stock in a TO220 package:

http://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=bt139

#4 7 years ago

I don't see any, all they have is the BT138-600E sensitive gate will that work I was looking at those on ebay?

#5 7 years ago

See new post below

#6 7 years ago

Here they are at Digikey (found them):

ScreenHunter_235 Jan. 26 13.19 (resized).jpgScreenHunter_235 Jan. 26 13.19 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

It seems the BT138-600E has close to the same values of the BT138-500E? Are you sure a BT139X-800 would work?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

I would use it. They really aren't that critical in this application.

Are yoyu sure the original is faulty? They are very robust and reliable. You can't test them the same way as transistors with a meter.

#9 7 years ago

Yes I'm pretty sure none of the fuses are blown, I got the machine with the BG lower half blown and just temporarily jumper-ed the lead (green wire) to the top half lights (purple wire) on the connector, now the red pf lights just went out on me and again the fuses are good. I just wonder if I should turn off the dimming feature?

#10 7 years ago

Tough to find a proper replacement for him. Need to keep an eye out for I-GT values (gate current). Originals were in the 10mA (typ) to 25mA (max) range. Some of the replacements tended to be in the 2x to 3x range or more - especially in the 4th quadrant. Important to keep the gate current low as the higher value parts don't work well. The BT139X parts are in the 22/70mA range which is a bit more than 2x original.

#11 7 years ago

I asked Todd Tuckey and he seems to think the BT139-600E would be the best replacement all the values are the same other than the voltage being 100 volts higher capacity. I'm certainly no engineer but it seems to be the best option for replacing the BT139-500E triac.

#12 7 years ago

Unfortunately, that one may be just as hard to find as the BT139-500E.

#14 7 years ago

Thank you guys very much I just ordered 10 off ebay last ones too! I'm eventually going Rottendog or something the tec is here now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-for-an-obsolete-triac-bt139-500e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.