6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have a really nice CV that (I think) a family member peeled a spot of backbox side art decal off of. About 3/4 in by 3/4 in. Yea, looks like hell... I am thinking of ordering the backbox decals from Planetary Pinball. My question is, what is the general opinion of the "next-gen" decals in comparison to original. Will they be noticeably different, if I replace only the backbox and not the cabinet? My cabinet has no flaws anywhere, which makes this all the more frustrating for me.
    I notice the original decals have a very slightly textured feeling when I run my hand over them, will the "next-gen" be the same? What are the differences between original and "next-gen"decals?
    Thanks for any opinions....

2 months later
    #2 6 years ago

I'd have to murder my family member, sorry to hear about this. My wife is wanting to have a pinball party and I'm having second thoughts regarding game abuse.

I'm wondering about 2nd generation decals, mainly how to detect them versus original art.

I have had my CV since 2005-2006 and it has near perfect art on it. On the corners under the legs there are numerical colored gauges that look to be for aligning the art, but this game has that very distinct feel of original screen print. I think it's too old to have the new 2nd gen decals, so I always thought it was original. I was wondering what the area under the legs looks like on original art to confirm it.

Again, sorry for your loss.

#3 6 years ago

I have an original CV that also has the alignment guides; this was normal for this era game. MM and MB have it as well.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks!
    It's nice to know it's original.

About three years ago I picked up a bunch of goodies to make it pretty, but we ended up moving and the game has been in pieces ever since. I'm just now getting to it.

I already have a set of green nylon corner leg protectors, but have heard that if you use those protectors the wear area on the cabinet art just gets bigger. And my wife like to shake the shit out of the pins. I'm looking at maybe putting on a set of Stern hidden brackets underneath the legs but am not sure if you can use both types of protectors at the same time.

#5 6 years ago

You only need the metal ones. Once those are on, the plastic ones are not needed.

#6 6 years ago

Was thinking the plastic ones to cover up the existing damage. I do sort of like the look of the plastic.
    Can they work together without mods?

#7 6 years ago

You can use both (I tried to see and it did clear) but use caution that the plastic isn’t touching and that you have the extended bolts/check you have enough thread on existing bolts.

#8 6 years ago

yeah they'll both work fine

#9 6 years ago

I did order the backbox only side art decals from PPS. I can honestly say I am pleasantly surprised at how nice these really are. My machine was in a pool hall location for 4 years. The operator put it in the location only to get all the pool table business. The location owners wife wanted a pinball to play while she was there. When I got it the thing had NEVER been cleaned in any way, nor serviced in any way. Hardly any bulbs were lit , but it was always in a really dark environment, so there was no fading of the cabinet. At the time (2002), I was the parts mgr. of the local amusement games and pinball distributor in New Orleans, where they had absolutely no use for pins. The operator asked if I was interested in it, I made him an offer. The next day he shows up with it. After a LOT of cleaning of everything and replacing every bulb, I found it to be a really nice machine.
    Back to the backbox...I changed the one side decal. The texture is only very slightly coarser, hardly detectable. As far as color match, If I really stare at the cabinet and backbox, I can see come slight variation in the darker green band, but only because I know I changed the decal. My wife can't tell the difference.
    Whoever is making the side art for PPS is doing a great job. I really can't ask for it to be any better than what it is, it's that nice...
    No, I am not connected to PPS in any way...

#10 6 years ago

I believe Classic arcades, just put on next gen decals on my Simpson PBP from Classic arcades and looks better that originals.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacement-backbox-side-decals-for-cirqus-voltaire-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.