(Topic ID: 275294)

Replaced WPC battery now game wont work.

By joekiss

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

85F5A52E-4885-4F09-9E0D-44BC1E2F463A (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200816_125737 (resized).jpg
15976126654453158600897598688888 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200816_124338 (resized).jpg
1591348087.png
IMG_20200816_085340 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200816_085337 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200816_085332 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200816_085328 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Finally got me Demo Man completely working but was getting the factory reset. It has a CR2032 battery in it. Removed it and checked it...it was long dead. Put a new battery in and nothing...absolutely nothing. Lights come on and everything but game wont fire. What did i do?

The battery was really in the holder. Was not easy to get out. If i broke the connection of the battery holder would that matter?

Should the board work just fine without a battery at all?

As always...thanks for the help. I owe certain people here a lot of gratitude for sharing their years of knowledge.

#2 3 years ago
IMG_20200816_085328 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_085328 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago
IMG_20200816_085332 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_085332 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_085337 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_085337 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_085340 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_085340 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Did you bump any of the connectors when removing the battery? Try reseating J210 and J211.

#5 3 years ago

Yes, the game should still work, even without a battery. Usually you can just go into diagnostics and then exit to play a game. You might try gently pushing down on the large chip just to the right of the battery, with power off of course.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

The battery was really in the holder. Was not easy to get out. If i broke the connection of the battery holder would that matter?

Yeah, it would matter. If you are missing the ground, then you would not get the voltage to the RAM that is needed to hold the settings. Actually, I don't think that battery (-) is connected in the right place.

After all that battery damage repair, I believe NVRAM is always the way to go, especially if you can solder. https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Quoted from joekiss:

Should the board work just fine without a battery at all?

Yes, it should boot up fine without battery. What are the state of the 3 red LEDs on the board?

#7 3 years ago

I will check all soon. So this board had battery damage before?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Lights come on and everything but game wont fire. What did i do?

Keep in mind, the free play setting would have defaulted to coin play.

Can you add credits if you press the credit button on the coin door?

Then, close the coin door and try to start a game. Does a game start? Usually, there's an interlock switch that disables the coils when the door is open.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind, the free play setting would have defaulted to coin play.
Can you add credits if you press the credit button on the coin door?
Then, close the coin door and try to start a game. Does a game start? Usually, there's an interlock switch that disables the coils when the door is open.

It doesn't boot at all. No DMD no nothing.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Ok, what do you mean by "lights come on and everything"?

#11 3 years ago

The PF lights come on so it's getting power.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Yes. That is why all the copper area is showing. Normally those areas would be covered with green masking, just like the rest of the board.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Then unplug all the ribbon cables. Does it boot now? A good boot is the middle LED would be blinking fast and the top LED will turn off. If not, press on all the socketed IC chips.

If it boots without all the ribbon cables connected, then reseat all the ribbon cable connections starting at the CPU board, making sure that the ribbon cables are not plugged in one row off.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

The PF lights come on so it's getting power.

Which lights? The inserts, or just the GI?

#15 3 years ago

I'm sorry just GI. It doesn't boot up at all. Seems like it tries to. Was working 100 percent before I removed the battery.

#16 3 years ago

Hard to tell on my phone but R22 looks damaged, possibly cracked and open. I don't have schematics handy so I don't know if that would affect boot up or not but it's worth checking regardless.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

The good news is that the sticker that says "That Pinball Place" most likely means that the previous work was done by John Wart Jr.
He did excellent repair work until personal issues caused him to shut down a couple years ago.

#18 3 years ago

Both John Wart and Chris Hibler have worked on this board. As I said before...it was 100 percent before I removed the battery.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Hard to tell on my phone but R22 looks damaged, possibly cracked and open. I don't have schematics handy so I don't know if that would affect boot up or not but it's worth checking regardless.

Just looked on the schematic and R22 is the pull up for the Power On Reset input, if you cracked that when replacing the battery it would stop the game from booting and there is definitely some damage to that resistor so test it with a meter.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Saw that as well but wasn’t sure. If not that, could the reset generator have been bumped?

Battery orientation looks Ok to me too.

#21 3 years ago

I'm thinking bobukcat is on the right track here. It certainly looks like R22 could have been damaged in the process of removing the battery, especially if it was difficult.

1591348087.png1591348087.png

#22 3 years ago

Seems dead.

IMG_20200816_124338 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_124338 (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago

Will these work? Different percents

15976126654453158600897598688888 (resized).jpg15976126654453158600897598688888 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_125737 (resized).jpgIMG_20200816_125737 (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago

Yes. That one will work. It is guaranteed to be 2%, which is better than the 5% mentioned in the manual.

So it measures open?

#25 3 years ago

Measures nothing. All of the others measure something

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Measures nothing. All of the others measure something

Bust out that desoldering gun and install the new one. Sounds like you found the problem. Resistors don't have a "polarity" so you can install it in either orientation.

#27 3 years ago

That was it!!! thanks as always!!!

#28 3 years ago

This is how all Pinside troubleshooting posts should be. Well described issue with decent pics, some eagle eye recognizes an issue, people confirm this could be the problem. OP fixes problem, fixes game. Reports back to Pinside (this is the one everyone skips), everyone is happy. Well documented for the archives.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

This is how all Pinside troubleshooting posts should be. Well described issue with decent pics, some eagle eye recognizes an issue, people confirm this could be the problem. OP fixes problem, fixes game. Reports back to Pinside (this is the one everyone skips), everyone is happy. Well documented for the archives.

pleasure is mine!!!

#30 3 years ago

When I install the coin batter holders .

I use a flat file to bevel the edges on the side of the holder that faces the resistor and transistor so that you do not damage or even touch the two with the holder.

The Transistor legs can easily be damaged when installing the holder.

You will be amazed how far you can bevel the holder before cutting through.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

When I install the coin batter holders .
I use a flat file to bevel the edges on the side of the holder that faces the resistor and transistor so that you do not damage or even touch the two with the holder.
The Transistor legs can easily be damaged when installing the holder.
You will be amazed how far you can bevel the holder before cutting through.

I wasnt replacing the holder just the battery. it was really in there.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Reports back to Pinside

and marks thread “resolved” so future readers know a solution was found.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

THAT's a good call..

joekiss , go to your original post and click the edit button. That will allow you to edit the title, and place something like ** FIXED ** in the title so future members with your exact same problem know there is a resolution in the thread.

8 months later
#34 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Fingers Crossed this is what just happened to my Judge Dredd when attempting to relocate the battery tray.

Now I just have to find out what part I need.

85F5A52E-4885-4F09-9E0D-44BC1E2F463A (resized).jpeg85F5A52E-4885-4F09-9E0D-44BC1E2F463A (resized).jpeg
#35 2 years ago
Quoted from NewToPinball125:

Now I just have to find out what part I need.

Parts - U16 and U20 have some damage, and maybe other areas below the battery holder area.

LTG : )

#36 2 years ago

LTG is correct. Look at the green corrosion between pins 1 & 2 of the U20 chip (green = copper corrosion).

If you can see this here there is guaranteed to be more UNDER the chips - probably a LOT more.

I think your issue with this board is a lot more serious than the OP's issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 81.95
Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replaced-wpc-battery-now-game-wont-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.