(Topic ID: 138920)

Replaced IDC connectors. How can i test??

By joekiss

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Bought the punch tool and just replaced some female connectors. Still think I don't have a good connection. Id there a way to test with a DMM and make sure I have a good "punch" Thanks!!!

#2 8 years ago

Did you replace an IDC connector with another IDC connector?

You should replace them with molex connectors.

In any case, to test, plug in both ends to the board, and do a continuity test from the closest through-holes on the boards to the pins you want to test.

#3 8 years ago

Yes I replaced IDC with IDC.

#4 8 years ago

IDC connectors are generally unreliable.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

IDC connectors are generally unreliable.

No offense, but saying theyre generally unreliable isn't true.

You would test the female end with a continuity setting on your multimeter, but it would be a bit awkward. Just see if the lights/switches the connector is associated with works. That would be a good "test".

You should feel the wire kinda pop down into the slot if you pushed hard enough. I replace IDC with IDC cause I think it's easier and frankly, my pins aren't on a lot. I find using crimps a pita. Others will say otherwise. But to call them unreliable just isn't true.

IDC is totally fine in home setting.

#6 8 years ago

I tested by using the flat metal connector to the top of the wire sticking out. All tested OK. I have no idea how to fix my machine.

#7 8 years ago

What machine and what's the issue joe?

#8 8 years ago

Demolition man. Ive posted before. ALL of the optos quit working. They were on and off now just nothing. Ive switched CPU and power with both dredd and STTNG. same thing and Demo Man boards work fine in those machines. original DM CPU had some corrosion and the connectors had some corrosion. I really hoped that was the prob.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

Demolition Man. Ive posted before. ALL of the optos quit working. They were on and off now just nothing. Ive switched CPU and power with both dredd and STTNG. same thing and Demo Man boards work fine in those machines. original DM CPU had some corrosion and the connectors had some corrosion. I really hoped that was the prob.

Did you replace the male part as well? If not you will need to, especially if there was corrosion. If you did, did you test for continuity? You may have ruined a through hole trace when replacing the male headers.

#10 8 years ago

Yes, answer dsuperbee's question.

Also, on your other Demo Man help thread, you mentioned you thought it was indeed connector related. Have you tried wiggling the associated connectors in the cpu while the pin is on and see if you can simulateously try to get the optos to fire? (I'm trying to see if this is indeed connector related).

#11 8 years ago

As i said ive switched the cpu boards with other games. They work fine.

#12 8 years ago

So when you switched to other cpu boards, the optos DID work?

#13 8 years ago

They did not

#14 8 years ago

So connectors are indeed a possibility but moreso the male ends.

Do what I said: turn pin on. Start a game and while trying to activate an opto, wiggle the connectors in question. See if you can make a connection.

Also: did you just replace female connector ends or the male pins on The boards too?

#15 8 years ago

Ive tried 3 cpus and 3 power boards. All the same and they work fine in other games.

#16 8 years ago

So I would think this isn't an issue w a board then.

Have you tried to track the wiring to the Optos under the pf or looked for a separate opto board under the pf?

#17 8 years ago

As blackbeard said, did you check the opto boards under the playfield? I didn't read your other thread so I don't know if you have checked that or not.

#18 8 years ago

I switched opto boards. Same thing works fine in other games.

#19 8 years ago

Joe: you need to be careful how you're writing things out on here. It's confusing.

So to clarify: you've tried different CPUs and power supplies, but the opto issues persist. You've also swapped opto boards out with working ones, and the Optos still don't work, correct?

I'd think then that the problem is somewhere in the wiring from the Optos to the backbox. We're you working under the pf on something unrelated, and then this started happening?

#20 8 years ago

Ive tried 3 CPUs and 3 power boards as well as switched the opto boards. they all don't work in Demo man and work fine in JD and STTNG. Gotta be a silly connection...

#21 8 years ago

Check to make sure all the wires fort the connectors are on the correct pins. Compare them to the manual.

#22 8 years ago

I'm guessing then that there is a wiring issue from opto board to connectors in backbox. Find the wiring and follow it up.

Did you do any shopping of the pin or changing over to LEDS around the time this all happened?

#23 8 years ago

I did put LEDs in.

#24 8 years ago

Swap the LEDs near those optos for normal bulbs and see what happens. Maybe LED light is interfering with optos?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Swap the LEDs near those optos for normal bulbs and see what happens. Maybe LED light is interfering with optos?

This.

This is where I was going PoMC, although I'd think the leds would just make them activate.

Which optos aren't working?

#26 8 years ago

Its not a problem with the physical optos. they all either work or don't work. Underground opto, upper popper, claw opto, car crash opto, etc.

#27 8 years ago

The playfield opto power feeds from J118 on the power driver board (although since J116-J118 are identical someone may have swapped positions in the past during a repair). It's not uncommon to have a 2-pin inline connector routed from the J118 connections that then feeds the playfield opto power; check real carefully near the bottom left corner of the power driver board to see if perhaps you have a connector unplugged.

#28 8 years ago

Ive swapped j116 and j118. they are the same. Same results.

#29 8 years ago

Have you traced the wiring from J118 to whatever opto board under the playfield? There is probably something loose or not right. This sounds like a break in the wiring somewhere if the boards are good (as tested in other machines), and the opto boards work.

Did you trace the wiring from opto board to J118?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

Ive swapped j116 and j118. they are the same. Same results.

You missed the point of what I said: "It's not uncommon to have a 2-pin inline connector routed from the J118 connection that then feeds the playfield opto power; check real carefully near the bottom left corner of the power driver board to see if perhaps you have a connector unplugged." Follow the wiring (black & gray-yellow) that leads from EACH of the THREE connectors that plug onto J116-J118 to be sure there's no 2-pin inline connector that was disconnected (NOT the 4-pin connector that connects to J116-J118).

2 months later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replaced-idc-connectors-how-can-i-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.