Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a Space Shuttle with a pop bumper that will only fire if I press very firmly on the skirt in a specific spot. If I open up the game, hitting the switch manually triggers the bumper each time, so I think the mechanism itself is still working fine. It was suggested to me to replace the spoon that hits the switch as often times these can be worn down. I guess my questions are:

1. I saw the full rebuild guide, but is there an easy way to just replace the spoon?
2. Does this seem like the most likely root cause given that the switch works consistently? Anything else worth checking?

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

The point where the skirt touches the spoon may have worn down the plastic, and as a result could be shorter than it should be.

Loosen the screws on the switch stack and try readjusting the position of the spoon so that the skirt hits the center.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The point where the skirt touches the spoon may have worn down the plastic, and as a result could be shorter than it should be.
Loosen the screws on the switch stack and try readjusting the position of the spoon so that the skirt hits the center.

That's the screws that hold the switch assembly to the playfield.

The stem of the skirt should rest dead center of the spoon. Loosen the above mentioned screws and position the assembly with the stem in the center of the spoon. A flashlight is useful here to create a stem shadow on the spoon plastic to help guide you to the center. Then press on the edge of the skirt and make sure it doesn't stick in any position of the clock.

Make sure everything is tightly secured.

Clean the contacts thoroughly.

Adjust the spoon switch for about 1/16" gap. I wouldn't replace the spoon unless the stem has worn a hole through it.

Better or worse?

#4 8 years ago

I've never, ever had to replace a spoon unless it was broken. Two things to look for:

1. Dirt or gunk buildup inside the spoon from someone lubing parts or just accumulation of dirt over time. Clean the inside of the spoon and the tip of the skirt point.

2. Make sure the skirt tip is centered in the spoon. If not, loosen the switch stack screws, into the playfield, and move slightly until it is centered. Then tighten the screws.

After that is done, clean the switch contact surfaces of any dirt and adjust the switches so there is about 1/16" gap between.

#5 8 years ago

I once had to replace a spoon that had somehow heated up and bent down, only allowing the saucer to activate the switch in one direction. Wasn't apparent until removing the entire switch stack and looking at it. New one was easy to put back in!

#6 8 years ago

Spoons DO wear out. Bally's from the 70's had a hole worn through the center most of the time as they were played the heck out of.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Spoons DO wear out. Bally's from the 70's had a hole worn through the center most of the time as they were played the heck out of.

Agreed, I've replaced several on location for this exact problem. Eight Ball, Star Trek, Lost World, Paragon & Playboy were the ones I recall doing this on.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

A flashlight is useful here to create a stem shadow on the spoon plastic to help guide you to the center.

What would be useful is if the manufacturers would make the spoon of clear plastic. Then you could just eyeball it to center.

#9 8 years ago

I just press the spoon onto the skirt stem. If the stem moves, adjust until pressing on the spoon produces no movement. Viola! Centered.

#10 8 years ago

Awesome! I'll try the "screw" adjustment method and centering tomorrow before going down the road of replacing it. Sounds like I could be over complicating things. I'll start there and report back! Thanks all!

#11 8 years ago

Whoops...double post!

#12 8 years ago

DE spoons are also different from W/BLY spoons as well, and are a little deeper. I have had games where the wrong spoons were in the game, and provided less action. (Capcom spoons were also not the same in terms of depth.)

#13 8 years ago

On some games the pops only can get hit on a certain side, rather than the normal 360*.

These pops are VERY susceptible to a groove being worn into the spoon. This makes the switch unresponsive to hits from certain directions.

#14 8 years ago

While we're on the subject, the skirts that Pinball Resource sells are like 1/16" longer than originals. This tiny bit of extra length on the stem allows it to hang on the top edge of the spoon. I've had to cut all the new ones I've used for a couple of years now. I snip off the nub, trim the sharp angles left from snipping, then hold it over a lighter for a couple of seconds to round it up and smooth it over.

Just FYI...

#15 8 years ago

Well, after about an hour of cleaning the spoon, moving the switch stack around, cleaning the contacts, and slightly bending the switches to ensure good contact (all basically with a flashlight in my mouth), we are back in business! I really can't thank everyone enough for their help. This is my first pin, but I really want to learn how they work and how to work on them, so people here taking the time to answer these basic (to most seasoned people I'd imagine) questions is greatly appreciated. Feels good to have done it myself and have it back 100%. Thanks all!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-pop-bumper-spoon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.