(Topic ID: 66130)

Replace one or both slingshot solenoids?

By Dommer

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by adalogue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

i was tuning up my pinbot and was working on putting new coil sleeves in the slingshot solenoids. one of them was 'swollen' and is too tight to fit in a new sleeve. was wondering if there would be a noticeable between having an old and new coil or if i should just get a new set. also thought i'd see if there were any fixes other than buying new coils.

also, this is my first time working with coils and want to make sure that the swollen coil isn't a sign of any bigger issue. figure it's not, but would like to make sure.

#2 10 years ago

First, see if they are the correct coils for your game (look in the manual).

New coils won't make the game play any better, so just replace the one that overheated.

New sleeves WILL make the game play better, especially if the old ones are worn.

Check the plungers, they should be smooth and shiny.

Check the plunger tips, they should not have a rolled, mushroomed tip.

Check the plunger links, they should not have too much play.

Check the springs, they should not be rusted or broken.

Clean the Switches by drawing a crisp dollar bill between the contacts.

Set the switch gaps, so they fire at the slightest touch. Bang on the playfield and make sure they don't fire from vibration alone.

Of course, replace the slingshot rubber while you are working on them, along with any cracked star posts.

Clean any black carbon dust from the coils, the underside of the plastics and the surrounding area.

Get ready, your rebuilt slings are going to hit hard!

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the very thorough info. The plungers are really nice, only had one that was a little rough that I needed to file down.

#4 10 years ago

Swollen coils happen, if it were me I'd just replace the swollen one. If the other slingshot coil still works and a coil sleeve is easy to insert, I'd just keep using that one - won't notice a difference. Bigger improvements would be noticed by replacing the coil sleeves (as you are doing) and lubricating the metal pivot point (I use Super Lube Teflon Oil, Pin Restore usually sells it for ~$5).

#5 10 years ago

Oops, big delay in typing a posting, vid nailed it all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-one-or-both-slingshot-solenoids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.