Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CrocRod
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm not crazy about the knocker in my Gottlieb Surf n Safari. I'm thinking about swapping it out for a bell instead. Just curious for thoughts on this -- good idea/bad idea, anything tricky about doing it, etc? I see The Pinball Resource has a 5" bell assembly that can be fitted with an A-5195 coil. Would this be an easy swap in?

#2 7 years ago

Should be straight forward. Just make sure it's got the diode and hook it up the same way.

#3 7 years ago

You pin, do what you want. Lots of EM knockers were weak. I love early Stern knockers, sounds like it is tearing the cabinet apart. Most EM's....meh. I say switch it to a bell. Like azcaj said , easy swap.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

If anyone is curious, I did go ahead and put in a 5" bell from The Pinball Resource (with A-5195 coil and diode). It was a dead easy swap out, and works well. The bell sound is a tad muffled but, for me, a big improvement over the piercing crack of the knocker. I'm happy with it overall.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-knocker-with-bell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.