(Topic ID: 318372)

Replace early SS Bally flipper buttons with WMS style?

By insertcoin

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Can the small, early, solid state, Bally flipper buttons be replaced with the newer, standard, Williams-style buttons without redrilling or otherwise altering the cabinet? I love the early Bally games but can't stand those flipper buttons. Thought I once saw a modded machine with lighted, Williams-style buttons. Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

#2 1 year ago

The hole in the side rail is too small. I think starting in 84 when Bally changed to Midway, eg. Spy Hunter, EBD 84 edition, Kings of steel. They started using the larger WMS style buttons and they used the same side rail and made the flipper button hole larger. I have seen this reproduced but I don't know who has any these days. I just looked on Pinball Life and only saw the standard(early)rails.

If you just want to be able to light the buttons, PBL sells translucent and clear button, housings and clear mounting straps so you can make your own light button mod. Zitt also has various colors available. I got teal green for Seawitch.

#3 1 year ago

I just did some measuring. From an 81 version EBD, the flipper button holes in the cab are 1 and 3/8th. Not all the arcade style flipper buttons are the same. I have a pair that I pulled from a HS that are yellow, I don't think they were original, most have translucent red. The yellow button has a smaller diameter under the flange measuring 1 and 3/32 inches and a new button measuring a tad over 1 and 1/8th. If you do this, you may also have to adjust the flipper switches or change the spacing. The hole in the standard rail is 1 1/16th.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks. That's what I found too - they are slightly smaller. I guess I'm amazed at how many times I've seen these buttons converted on the 1981-era machines, considering how much work/cost is likely involved for an otherwise "unnecessary" mod. I guess there are more people out there who dislike the Bally buttons more than I do! Also kinda surprised no one has made a button or kit to retrofit the Bally diameter. If only I could place the Williams buttons OVER TOP of the Bally ones!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-early-ss-bally-flipper-buttons-with-wms-style and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.