You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CN21 (resized).jpg
LaserWar-CN21 (resized).png
EQTOlNJO (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm going to be travelling to a buddy's place to help him get his machine fixed up, particularly replacing some old coils on the flippers. While I'm at it, I'd like to help him, as it appears that he's broken off a pin on his main board (a Laser War machine) going to the sound board (CN21).

Is it possible to just desolder a single (broken) pin and replace just that pin, without having to replace the whole connector? If so, where would be a good spot to source replacement pins (GPE, Mouser?)?

EQTOlNJO (resized).jpgEQTOlNJO (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Possible, but not always the easiest option. Especially if sheared off with nothing left to grab on to. A little heat applied will help it get through the plastic - again, if you can grab it. With that one sheared off like that, I would probably remove all the solder on the reverse side and use a pair of side cutters with a light grip to pull it back through. I think the easiest source for a pin is a scrap board, I've never ordered the pins themselves, so I can't tell you much about that.

#3 6 years ago

You might be able to cut the last two off including the plastic and then desolder them separately. Are you sure they snapped it off and it's not just keyed like that?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Are you sure they snapped it off and it's not just keyed like that?

Ditto!

No other pin is missing?

#5 6 years ago

Ribbon cables aren't USUALLY keyed on the edge like that...usually in the middle....but...look at this schematic. Pin 20 goes to NOWHERE? Also, the pin below looks bent. It's probably best to just carefully clip the plastic and replace both of those at the same time, but I dunno... if those are .100 pins, might be difficult to find a 2x1. Likely would need to buy a bigger one and cut to size. When in doubt, look at the ribbon cable itself. If it's keyed, that hole will be plugged or not even there on the connector, so that's an easy answer.

LaserWar-CN21 (resized).pngLaserWar-CN21 (resized).png

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Ditto!
No other pin is missing?

That's pin 1, and it is ground so it is needed. If it had been pin 20 on the opposite side it wouldn't matter, as pin 20 is N/C.

in the time we've talked about it the whole header could have been replaced.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That's pin 1, and it is ground so it is needed. If it had been pin 20 on the opposite side it wouldn't matter, as pin 20 is N/C.

Thanks for clarifying that too. I wasn't exactly sure how that connector was numbered. These schematics/manuals are so godawful compared to Williams Sys11/WPC. Ugh.

Can't really fault the guy for wanting to do LESS board work if he doesn't feel particularly comfortable with it? That's better than doing the whole thing and blowing out 10 traces..

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Can't really fault the guy for wanting to do LESS board work if he doesn't feel particularly comfortable with it? That's better than doing the whole thing and blowing out 10 traces..

True, but we all know that sometimes cutting corners backfires, and you end up having to do it right in the first place.

#9 6 years ago

Unfortunately, that is actually pin 1 that is broken.
You can see a "19" and "20" to the left of the connector in that photo. That means pins 1 and 2 are at the opposite end of the header.
There is a nice diagram showing pin numbering and signals in the user manual as shown here:

CN21 (resized).jpgCN21 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-broken-pin-on-pin-header and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.