• Latest reply 6 years ago by guilds100
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0437 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I replaced the 30000uf cap in my williams world cup to try and get rid of the lamp dimming when hitting the flippers and now the field lamps are coming on erratically and flashing at idle and while the game is playing. The game plays all right and scores correctly no matter which lights are lit. I did put all new #44s and have 3 455s in the field. I measured the voltage across the cap and it is 18 volts. This picture was taken just after turning the machine on at idle. Any thoughts?

100_0437 (resized).JPG100_0437 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

New capacitor connected correctly? They are polarized.

By chance is the new capacitor defective? It does happen.

#3 6 years ago

I put the old cap back in , and now all the lights are strobing like my gorgar in attract mode and theres an audible hum that goes with the strobe . Game plays and lights go out when targets are hit. I read that the driver board strobes the voltage down to feed it to the lights. Could I have damaged the driver board?

#4 6 years ago

Symptoms changing... I would guess a loose connector.

#5 6 years ago

This morning I took the driver board out and put it in my gorgar and it has lamps staying on so I think I goofed something up when I put in the new lamps in world cup. And then I foolishly put the gorgar driver board in world cup and turned it on and the no lamps were stuck on. Upon putting the gorgar board back in gorgar it now has 3 lamps stuck on. Now I have 2 boards to fix. Since it went out that quick, does it sound like I have something grounded out in the lamps?

#6 6 years ago

I got it fixed. The bulbs in the 1-18 bonus are mounted on a disc. The lamps columns 5 and 6 control most of the disc and run around it as a bare wire. When i put the disc back on I grounded out column 6 to the disc. I pulled that wire off the disc and those lamps went out. I believe column 4 was also grounded out but I cant be sure as moving those wires kept the lights on. When I tested the column 4 output on the driver board it was at 15+ volts. Tip42 for that line was stuck on. I had a parts driver board and pulled a tip42 and everything is back to normal. Also took care of gorgar with the same parts board. That was my first and second board repairs. I must say replacing that cap gave me the end results I wanted. When I flip the flippers those field lights are on solid and don't flinch at all, no matter what is activated on the field.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-big-blue-cap-now-lamps-are-erratic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.