(Topic ID: 102184)

replace 50s and 60s era relays with modern ones?

By minektur

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been staring at the guts of my cover-girl trying to figure out why some of the higher duty relays - the ones that are on for long periods - are humming. I'm talking about the hold relay, series relay, and an 'alternating' relay that depending on whether the game score is even or odd, changes some game features...

Many of the relays on this system - e.g. the ones on the main bank - rely on physical location, size, mechanical ties to other relays, or have many, varied and complicated sets of switches.

But the three I care about are single-pole, single or double-throw relays that are mounted by themselves near the score motor, or on the underside of the playfield, by themselves. For these wouldn't some kind of modern replacement relay work? Even a solid state relay?

In the case of gottlieb EMs - the "coil" operating voltage is in the 25 to 30 VAC range, so wouldn't something like this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CXE240A5/CC1333-ND/555040

work to replace a few of my always-humming, old, slightly crispy looking nearly-always-on relays? at least the hold relay that is SPST?

edit: or even something like this: http://amazon.com/HH54P-Electromagnetic-Power-Relay-DYF14A/dp/B00DN34JC6

Post edited by minektur: another example

#2 9 years ago

The SSR only offers a single normally open contact. So, it will only serve to replace one "make" switch and would require more than one if there were more NO switches on the relay stack. It could not replace make/brake (SPDT) switch. I certainly wouldn't bother.

Usually, the sound can be dampened with resurfacing the coil slug, armature, or just replacing the relay coil.

Also, for "always on" relays, Clay on Pinrepair.com discusses converting these relays into DC by changing the coil, and adding a diode and cap just like Gottlieb did at the very end of EMs.

As most Series relays are paired in the ohm rating with other relay coils, it would be difficult to replace it with anything but the original coil.

The second relay you link to would probably work. This would be the better choice over the SSR. But it would be considered a really bad hack. However, it is YOUR game and you can do what you want with it.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from minektur:

replace a few of my always-humming, old, slightly crispy looking nearly-always-on relays? at least the hold relay

How about this solution from Clay-
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#continuous

#4 9 years ago

I think the best solution is the original equipment. The relay contacts are usually very easy to access when servicing is required. A lot can be said to the basic design of any device lasting more than a century, and the nominal service life of +5 decades. I personally prefer the time tested and proven durability of an open relay versus a sealed or SS unit.

#5 9 years ago

I'll have to try either Clay's dc-conversion for just a couple coils or maybe just replace the coils and plungers to see if a new one will be quieter...

Thanks for all the good advice.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from minektur:

I'll have to try either Clay's dc-conversion for just a couple coils or maybe just replace the coils and plungers to see if a new one will be quieter...
Thanks for all the good advice.

Don't expect the Series relay to ever be quiet. They buzz on all games I have played. I feel it is kind of the charm in playing one of the 60's Gottliebs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replace-50s-and-60s-era-relays-with-modern-ones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.