(Topic ID: 163806)

Repinning double sided IDC connectors - how hard is it?

By Topher5000

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

It time for me to repin the harness between the MPU & driver board on my Raven. I ordered trifurcon Molex crimps, 08-52-0113.
It's been a pain getting the old IDC connectors out of single-sided housings. I push the pin down with a small screwdriver & then have to pry the connector out with a small set of pliers. Pulling never works.
Are double-sided connectors a PITA too? Any tips for getting them out easily? I've been holding off doing these because I don't want to damage the housing.

#2 7 years ago

Another question: if need be, how hard is it to remove trifurcon crimps from the IDC housings?

#3 7 years ago

With housings costing about 3cents per position - why reuse an IDC plug?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

With housings costing about 3cents per position - why reuse an IDC plug?

Plus, nevermind the fact that, well, eventually you'll have to re-pin it *again*..

#5 7 years ago

I'll take a look at the connectors & do a count of the pins I need. Shipping may be the limiting factor though.

#6 7 years ago

I must be missing something.
Ed, you have two kits with crimps on your site at $9 & $10 each. What housings do you mean?

#7 7 years ago

Housing = empty plug.. not contacts.

#8 7 years ago

I read a guide at http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/ that mentioned to buy lots of the trifurcons, but Ken Layton pointed out to me that the trifurcon crimps are for games that use pin connections, like Ballys, not edge connectors like Gottlieb. Darn. I also found an old thread that mentions that too. The bifurcated crimps are no longer available, so the standard crimps, 08-52-0072, are what to use. Something to keep in mind for beginners like me.
On a side note, if there's anyone local who needs the trifurcons, let me know

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repinning-double-sided-idc-connectors-how-hard-is-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.