Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-231.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I posted this a while back, but feel the need to do it again...

These brand new accounts posting stuff in the marketplace is just getting silly.
    This morning we now have a free CV being offered.

If you make new accounts have a ten day waiting period before posting into the marketplace I think it would really be a big improvement....

#2 9 years ago

Yeah saw that too. A bit ridiculous.

#4 9 years ago

You just want the free CV for yourself.

Actually, the 10-day waiting period seems reasonable.

#5 9 years ago

It would be good for the troll forum poster duplicate accounts also.

I do understand the idea to try and be as open and inviting to all new memebers but maybe a way to have a current user vouch for a new account and that gives them normal privligaes right away (I have seen this on other hobby forums).

#6 9 years ago

Most of the other forums I belong to require a 30 day waiting period before you can post and sometimes even view, the classified section.

#7 9 years ago

What would the waiting period accomplish exactly? Would it scare them off?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

What would the waiting period accomplish exactly? Would it scare them off?

It might keep someone from opening a new account just to troll a current topic.

#10 9 years ago

HEY! I'm trying to get pictures for the $2900 Addams. Don't c#%& block me!

#11 9 years ago

Plus give the abusers a cool off period from whatever emotional issues they are going through prompting them to post / scam / troll / derail.....
    100% for a waiting period

#12 9 years ago

Clearly something needs to be done with these chronic abusers!
    Here is a PM I recieved from Hondanut/galagamaster dude yesterday. He is pissed at me for calling him out every time he makes a new ID. Normally I would never post a PM, but I am making an exception in this case.

image-231.jpgimage-231.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Can't the mods do some sort of IP ban on that jerk?

#14 9 years ago

I agree 100% with Gecko, there needs to be a better method for screening new accounts. I think a waiting period would stop a large percent of those who abuse multiple accounts just to troll threads here, but I'm not sure how effective it would be in the Marketplace against scammers. They are more motivated than the trolls and may be willing to figure the clearing time as part of the scam setup. Seems there could be a higher requirement to qualify for posting in the market, not sure what, maybe CC on file or valid proof of ID of some sort?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

I agree 100% with Gecko, there needs to be a better method for screening new accounts. I think a waiting period would stop a large percent of those who abuse multiple accounts just to troll threads here, but I'm not sure how effective it would be in the Marketplace against scammers. They are more motivated than the trolls and may be willing to figure the clearing time as part of the scam setup. Seems there could be a higher requirement to qualify for posting in the market, not sure what, maybe CC on file or valid proof of ID of some sort?

Hopefully a solution is found because the system in place is broken. I don't even bother going to the marketplace now. It's worse than the mr. Pinball classifieds. The scammers have found us and they have unfettered access to posting ads. Someone is going to get burned bad. Sooner rather than later.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Clearly something needs to be done with these chronic abusers!
    Here is a PM I recieved from Hondanut/galagamaster dude yesterday. He is pissed at me for calling him out every time he makes a new ID. Normally I would never post a PM, but I am making an exception in this case.

image-231.jpg 43 KB

That sucks

#17 9 years ago

May get slammed for this, but what about restricting marketplace ads to those who have donated to the site?

#18 9 years ago

Pretty bad idea if you ask me. Forcing someone to wait 10 days to post here might result in losing prospective members. We live in a pretty instant-gratification era. People might start an account to get involved in a thread, and never come back when they are finally approved.

Most of us can see through scam for sale/marketplace posts quickly. There's probably a better way of getting rid of those - maybe make marketplace ads be approved by mods. Surely most of them would fail the sniff test.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Surely most of them would fail the sniff test.

...and they smell like?

#20 9 years ago

Yeah, 10 days might kill a lot of perspective new members.

Many people's first post is a tech question post, or a "what is this worth" post.

--

Report crazy PMs as spam and let the mods delete the user.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Here is a PM I recieved from Hondanut/galagamaster dude yesterday

wow, he has "all the A list machines that nobody else does". LMAO

FAIL

#22 9 years ago

10 day waiting period before posting in the marketplace seems reasonable. 10 days to post and/or view forums wouldn't be a good idea, it would certainly chase people away.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty bad idea if you ask me. Forcing someone to wait 10 days to post here might result in losing prospective members. We live in a pretty instant-gratification era. People might start an account to get involved in a thread, and never come back when they are finally approved.

So what? It's about contributing as much if not more than you take away. The site is supposed to be about people helping people, not good people being scammed or forced to deal with internet trolls

#24 9 years ago

only problem with waiting period is that it will make it rather difficult for the majority of people who join pinside that are not trolls...

dunno about the rest of the forum, but "we" provide a substantial amount of tech support in the em forums (i'd guess it is the same in other areas)...

making someone join and then wait 10 days to ask a question seems a bit harsh...

trolls are a fact of internet life... you can either let them win by getting a rise out of you, or simply ignore them... but making pinside more "exclusive" probably isn't the best solution...

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Most of us can see through scam for sale/marketplace posts quickly. There's probably a better way of getting rid of those - maybe make marketplace ads be approved by mods. Surely most of them would fail the sniff test.

Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, 10 days might kill a lot of perspective new members.
    Many people's first post is a tech question post, or a "what is this worth" post.
    --
    Report crazy PMs as spam and let the mods delete the user.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that they can't post. Just that they can't post to the MARKETPLACE until they have been around for 10 days. Personally I like the "donate to use Marketplace" idea.

Maybe also require at least 10-20 posts in the forum before they can place an add in the marketplace?

#26 9 years ago

Yeah, but the guy with the free CV will ship it free from Nigeria!!

#27 9 years ago

Just to add to my thinking...most of the scammers don't want to wait. They want to make an account, post, and be done with it. The extra step of having to actually wait and return to a site is too much and would slow them down.

It's funny, I'd agree with a ten day wait for posting to the market, and I'd even support a 24 hour wait to post in the forum. I think if you take away instant gratification, it will deter a the bulk of people.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

and I'd even support a 24 hour wait to post in the forum.

Yeah I'd like to see stats on when people post. I know I read for a long time before posting

#29 9 years ago

I waited a few years to post anything. I "lurked" a long while and read up on the current issues before I threw my 2 cents out there. At work when we have trainees no one really cares what they have to say until they prove themselves. Totally in favor of a probationary period for forum posts as well as marketplace ads. New people should read more and type less

#30 9 years ago

I think we need a probationary period on the marketplace, I'm not worried about the forum posts because I usually avoid someone until they have about 200,000 in Karma

#31 9 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas!

I've been working on major changes to the market place for some months now. Features include blocking new members from creating ads until certain parameters are met. I'm also working on ways for Pinsiders to measure other Pinsiders "trustworthiness".

The market sub-forum will be integrated with our marketplace. In other words, posting ads via the forum will no longer be possible, I want one point of entry for all classified ads. A simple checkbox option to have your ad appear on the forum is included, so not an awful lot will change if you chose to select that option.

I'm also adding features like seller feedback and "Pinside verified" members. The first being sort of an Ebay feedback system where the seller always has the option to react to any reviews. The latter is a way to have Pinside verify your identity (securely) and then getting a Pinside verified icon behind your name.

This and more coming soon, stay tuned.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I've been working on major changes to the market place for some months now. Features include blocking new members from creating ads until certain parameters are met. I'm also working on ways for Pinsiders to measure other Pinsiders "trustworthiness".
    The market sub-forum will be integrated with our marketplace. In other words, posting ads via the forum will no longer be possible, I want one point of entry for all classified ads. A simple checkbox option to have your ad appear on the forum is included, so not an awful lot will change if you chose to select that option.
    I'm also adding features like seller feedback and "Pinside verified" members. The first being sort of an Ebay feedback system where the seller always has the option to react to any reviews. The latter is a way to have Pinside verify your identity (securely) and then getting a Pinside verified icon behind your name.

Really, really cool. I love all the ideas. I like that the seller has a chance to react before anything gets posted. Without this, I can see a lot of people arguing about some topic, and one person saying the other Pinsider is not trustworthy.

#33 9 years ago

awesome-sauce!

Yeah, I said it.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Great response robin. Thank you for continuing to make this an outstanding site!

#35 9 years ago

Nice to hear from you Robin and great ideas.

#36 9 years ago

Another one just posted for a Medieval Madness for $2000.00

I think this should be addressed. Keeps happening.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repeat-request-waiting-period-for-new-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.