Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sys7 Test (resized).JPG
Cut Wires (resized).JPG
PXL_20220520_131856491 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220520_131840927 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220520_131845869 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220520_131851229 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hello all. It has been a very very very long time since I have posted. Some of you I missed, some...I am sure we'll get along just fine, ha.

I was working on fixing a bad resistor on my display board for my Time Warp. Some of the segments were out and the resistor was burnt. After having it fail again I started retracing the issue. And that's when it happened.

I 'believe' one of the finger contacts on the main board folded over and bridged the +5v and +100v on the main board. I say this as when I pulled the board the finger pad was loose and looked bridged but I had already pulled it so I hadn't done a continuity check to confirm this. On a side note I believe the burning resistor was due to a similar issue on one of the satellite displays but we'll get to that later.

So as it stands my game has:

Good unregulated 12v (within tolerance)
Good regulated 5v ( I believe 5.02v)
NO +100v, good -100V
Lamp voltage seem higher at 22v
And Sol seem higher at 39v

So again, display 'connected' at the very least. In addition to now non working displays (no +100v) my driver board appears locked up. I get the game to boot, 2 LEDs come on for a moment and then go off, I hear a tone from the sound board, however a few coils will lock on (I have removed the sol power wire for now to prevent blowing), and a few lights lock on.

I had experienced this before with my Gorgar and it was the PIAs so that's my main suspect for now based on the symptoms.

My plan is to re-build the power supply, replace sound caps while I am at it, do some upgrades to the driver board and power supply ( per Vid https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6 ) , and I believe I will replace the PIAs as well again based on the symptoms.

Looking for a second set of eyes, brains, etc to see if there is anything else I should be looking at/looking for.

Your time and attention is appreciated.

PXL_20220520_131840927 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131840927 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131845869 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131845869 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131851229 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131851229 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131856491 (resized).jpgPXL_20220520_131856491 (resized).jpg
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

May be just an odd angle for the picture, but are these wires connected?[quoted image]

Yes those are plugged in. At the moment I only have the display (100v) and the sol (30v) pulled as those are the two sections that are messing up. Should those be pulled as well? From the tests I have done so far the sound board seems good.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Budwin:

You need my bench tester for Sys6 and Sys7 boards. My test boards have Black Knight and Firepower ROMs.
Do you still have Gorgar to do board swaps?
Here is a video from my bench tests a while back. (the iPhone video is pretty low quality) [quoted image]

That bench tester is awesome!!! I have toyed around with making one but at this point I am kinda on hold getting new pins. So I just have the Simpsons Pin Party, Road Kings, and Time Warp for the moment. Blasphemously I shifted over to vids during the pandemic as they were cheaper to get, ha.

So I don't think I'll build a bench tester at the point. I want one but not sure I'll get the use. And as I mentioned I don't have Gorgar anymore unfortunately.

My plan at this point is to get as far as I can with what I have then decide what my best next move will be. On my long term list I want to get a system 3-7 bench, system 11, wpc, as well as a vid bench. Maybe when the kids are out of college. Ha.

#6 1 year ago

Ordered my parts today. Most of them are for the System 6 upgrades. Also rebuilding the PS, HV section, and replacing the PIAs. We'll see next week when I dig in!

2 months later
#8 1 year ago

There is no real activities going on. Just some lights and solenoids locked and static.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

When you say you bridged 5v and 100v on the "main" board - are you referring to the master display board or the CPU board?
Was the game fully working before this event?
No telling what blew if 100V made it to the 5V supply. I would suspect all the logic chips on the master display board. However, that shouldn't cause solenoids to lock on so I agree with you in that you have problems elsewhere.
You say some lights lock on, do the rest cycle normally in attract?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agodfrey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-system-6-driver-power-display-boards?tu=agodfrey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.