View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
Teardown.png
Damage.png
201412-FP-ouch.jpg
jmrepair.jpg
screwdamage.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have been working on my new addition, JM. The playfield is good, with one defect. At some point in the past, some dingaling drove one of the screws that holds the left flipper mounting plate up through the surface of the playfield. This left some cracking and a small bit of paint loss in a pretty high traffic area. The damage is slightly raised, but just barely and not so much that I think it would affect gameplay. I don't think the offending screw is there anymore. It has either been pulled back or replaced with the correct one.

I'm interested to know what the consensus is for repairing this or, more likely for me, just preventing it from becoming worse. I do have a mylar circle I could put over it, but I worry that someday when that mylar comes off, it will further pull off the compromised paint. Any other thoughts on ways to prevent this from wearing further? Thanks all - I appreciate your advice!

screwdamage.jpgscrewdamage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Hopeful bump for sage advice, oh great pinside!

#3 10 years ago

I have had the same question, hard to find any good direction though. Hopefully someone with some experience can chime in. Maybe you should label your thread "Metallica sucks", at least you would get more views and maybe some advise...
Good luck!

#4 10 years ago

amazing how many idiots put a screw thru like that! I am a victim of the same!

#5 10 years ago

I would use an exacto blade to cut away what's sticking up,fill with epoxy putty,& repaint red. I had to do it on a Space Jam & came out pretty nice.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

amazing how many idiots put a screw thru like that! I am a victim of the same!

it has to be a scenario that after fixing something, they grab the wrong screw and continue to drive it in without looking (3/8" vs. 1/2" long)

I think that's the sole reason why b/w used yellow zinc plated screws for all of their 3/8" long #6 screws. this way people didn't confuse and run the screws through the topside of the playfields (like what has apparently happened here).

the 3/8" long screws are used to secure thin metal brackets like lamp brackets and the 1/2" long ones are used *only* with thicker metal brackets for things like coil assemblies and pop bumpers.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Barrythick:

I have had the same question, hard to find any good direction though. Hopefully someone with some experience can chime in. Maybe you should label your thread "Metallica sucks", at least you would get more views and maybe some advise...
Good luck!

"A Hypothetical Review of Metallica Based on Pure Speculation (Repairing or preventing wear on playfield with screw damage)." Could work!

Right now this area isn't terribly noticeable though its annoying, you know? I feel like if I go in there and start cutting paint out and then repainting and refinishing that area... I might end up with something that's REALLY noticeable. Maybe I'll just ignore it. Heh. I'd love to see some pictures of some of these sort of repairs since it seems (unfortunately) somewhat common.

#8 10 years ago

Easy fix.

Using a dome faced punch, gently tap it back slightly under the surface of the playfield.

Touch up with paint.

Fill dent with 1/2 drop of 2 part auto clear

#9 10 years ago

I used a block of wood and a tap to push it down...then the lazy way is to put a round mylar disc over it.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Easy fix.
Using a dome faced punch, gently tap it back slightly under the surface of the playfield.
Touch up with paint.

You are the man.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, guys! I sure hope 2 part clear coat comes in a trial size?

If it turns out well, I'll post an after picture. If it doesn't I'll retreat to a dark corner and weep.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Easy fix.
Touch up with paint.

This man speaks from experiance

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I would use an exacto blade to cut away what's sticking up,fill with epoxy putty,& repaint red. I had to do it on a Space Jam & came out pretty nice.

Red is one of the hardest colors to match exact.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from WOLF:

Red is one of the hardest colors to match exact.

True, one method is to prime it white first, then pain it red, it will come out more even than if you just try to touch it up with red only.

5 months later
#15 10 years ago

Didn't come out perfectly, but came out pretty well for my first repair of this type. I used a dome punch lightly back and forth over it until it was more or less smooth, did a layer of white paint, then red, then a couple drops of 2 part clear coat as suggested by vid. Overall, much improved, and I think it will wear much better now. Thanks pinside!

jmrepair.jpgjmrepair.jpg
#16 10 years ago

What did you end up doing for the clear?

#17 10 years ago

Nice color match!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

What did you end up doing for the clear?

I used Nason Selectclear 2K and Select Activator 2K that I bought at Napa. The only downside is that I now have 99.9999% of a quart left. But hey, who knows what will get clearcoated next around the house!

#19 10 years ago

I'm going to have to deal with this eventually. My Black Knight 2000 has had something like this since I bought it-- when someone put the light for the W in WIN back in, they used too long of a wood screw so the tip sticks up through the playfield. I haven't gotten around to fixing it because it's in the one spot where it would least affect gameplay.

1 year later
#20 9 years ago

My friend had some bad luck with his drill bits and a brand new CPR playfield, and something unspeakable happened. I'd like to take a stab at repairing it.

I'd like to prep the right tools:

* wood epoxy
* 2-part auto clear
* black acrylic paint
* tiny paint brush
* eye dropper
* wood punch

Anything else I'll need?
This will be my first time, so I'm open to practicing on a beater PF if needed. (I have one)

-mof

201412-FP-ouch.jpg201412-FP-ouch.jpg

#21 9 years ago

You could even paint the patched hole white and it would probably stand out less than a mismatched black.

Good place for a repair, far from the player's eye.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You could even paint the patched hole white and it would probably stand out less than a mismatched black.
Good place for a repair, far from the player's eye.

Yes, great idea.
Will I need any other tools? I just want to start with stocking up on the right tools.
-mof

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You could even paint the patched hole white

great idea indeed. Why didn't i think of that

or
if you could find a white body filler and use a white hardener you may not have to paint at all

4 months later
#24 8 years ago

Resurrecting this thread due to relevance in what I'm doing now.

I'm working on a WCS. I didn't realize this during teardown but someone had stripped out the post to the left of the playfield and elected to screw in two new star posts instead of fixing the stripped hole.

Teardown photo:

Teardown.pngTeardown.png

I fixed the post by purchasing a bolt from the hardware store but I'm left with two screw holes in the playfield. The holes will be covered by a plastic so I doubt they'll be all that visible. I'm not so worried about matching the white but a little worried about matching the teal. Here's where I'm at:

Damage.pngDamage.png

Several ignorant questions -

1) Will the screw holes potentially get worse if I don't address this?

2) I'm assuming it's suggested I use something like this to tap the holes down:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/30763028?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227020708315&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52469961375&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=79546037295&veh=sem

3) I have a stack of Army Painter paints I use for modeling. Will that be sufficient for this type of touchup? Any tips for color matching that teal? I planned to mix blue and white on a palette to see how close I could get. At least it won't be too visible.

4) Can someone link me good clear to use? Lots of links. I have young kids and repair in an unfinished basement. I'm a little concerned over all of the hazard warnings.

Thanks in advance for the info.

#25 8 years ago

Those wooden punches would probably work. I used metal ones like ebay.com link: 12 pc Metal Dapping Punches Set Jewelry Making Tool .
You can find some cheap sets on ebay (though they might come from China).

Sometimes with paint there's no way to make a specific color by mixing alone. Teal is one of those colors. You might need to find a teal paint that's close to what you want and then go from there.

I wouldn't worry about the clearcoat fumes. You can mix up a small amount of it outside and then bring it in for the few minutes you need to use it. You don't need much.

#26 8 years ago

Also: best way I found to match the color was to put patches of the paints onto a piece of really clear plastic, like a sushi box lid or whatever, and then lay it on the playfield to check.

5 months later
#27 8 years ago

Wtf is all this about? Any idea why someone would drive a screw through the slingshot left of the crate?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#28 8 years ago

Because they're missing the Plastic & don't want the Ball to get stuck in/on there ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-or-preventing-wear-on-playfield-with-screw-damage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.