Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170316_180307 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I've found a few threads on repairing cracked ramps, but they're all a couple of years old. Has anything come up in the meantime that's better? Any suggestions for repairing this ramp?
    20170316_180307 (resized).jpg20170316_180307 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I would think if you aren't really worried so much about cosmetics, you could probably use a clear 2 part epoxy to repair and build up the back to prevent further breakout. I have not done this, just my thoughts. See what others advise.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I would think if you aren't really worried so much about cosmetics, you could probably use a clear 2 part epoxy to repair and build up the back to prevent further breakout. I have not done this, just my thoughts. See what others advise.

Given the location, it would be very hard for the player to see any repair so cosmetics matter a little less than strength. I have some "crystal clear" two part epoxy along with some self adhesive drywall joining tape that I was thinking might help give it a bit more rigidity?

#6 7 years ago

Just saw this thread after answering in your restoration thread so I'll repeat here.

The problem with all clear ramp repairs is the stronger the repair the more obvious the repair.

For the crack along the bend in the ramp I would first glue it together with Weld-On. This solution works well when you have a crack that will fit tightly back together. The glue wicks into the small gap and melts the plastic. More info in the following link.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-solvent-to-repair-pinball-ramps-and-plasticsend-of-story

The next step if you want to strengthen the joint would be clear epoxy. Lightly sand the inside curve to give the glue some tooth. Only sand a narrow area like 1/4" since it will show unless covered by epoxy. Then apply 3M Instant Adhesive Primer (AC77) to the area you just sanded. This will help promote adhesion between the epoxy and the plastic. Use a clear epoxy like Epoxy 330--optically clear--or Devcon 2 Ton clear. Apply a small bead in the corner and smooth out.

That should give you a pretty good looking repair and good strength.

It's always a good idea to practice on a scrap piece of plastic since there is some technique involved (especially with the Weld-On, where less is better).

Note: Weld-On (or other solvents like Ambroid) provide a much stronger bond than Crazy Glue, Bondic, etc. since they actually melt and fuse the plastic back together.

#7 7 years ago

I've used the weld-on, and it works well, just takes some time to learn the correct way to do it.

#8 7 years ago

jb weld clearweld, 5 minute epoxy works great and dries clear.

#9 7 years ago

Isn't that a Whitewater? Buy a new Ramp.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Isn't that a Whitewater? Buy a new Ramp.

It's the top left ramp from Radical!, so this crack runs up along the outside of the entrance. I didn't tag the game on the thread because I didn't think it was game specific.

#11 7 years ago

Sorry. I'm sure you can't buy that one. I was going to say that it would look a lot better just buying the ramp and if for some reason you didn't want to or couldn't, I have a full set of good used ramps for WH20. But, since it isnoff a radical I can't help you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-cracked-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.