Dpplaypj19 (resized).jpg
canon07i082017 001 (resized).JPG
canon08082017 003 (resized).JPG
canon03082017 006 (resized).JPG
oldchic3 (resized).jpg
oldchic2 (resized).jpg
oldchic1 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm looking at a Bally Old Chicago locally. However, the cabinet has some significant damage around the bottom of the front panel that extends a little to the side panels. I've been told the legs can still be safely attached. Just looks like some of the layers have come loose from the wood. Any suggestions or strategies as to how to fix this? Is the front panel easy to remove? I don't really want to rebuild the entire cabinet but at the same time I want the repair to look good. Patching/preservation is the route I'd like to take.

oldchic1 (resized).jpgoldchic1 (resized).jpgoldchic2 (resized).jpgoldchic2 (resized).jpgoldchic3 (resized).jpgoldchic3 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

If you haven't seen it, I'm sure you will find what you need in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

#3 2 years ago

Strohz thanks for the link but I did see that thread. Lot of great info there. Only thing is, he doesn't really cover anything that's similar to the issues on this cab. Most of what Vid covered in there dealt with separating corners and big, solid chunks missing. I didn't really see anything about delaminating/missing layers. Great info on what type of wood to use, how to router the edges, etc.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from shadetree77:

I've been told the legs can still be safely attached.... Any suggestions or strategies as to how to fix this? Is the front panel easy to remove? I don't really want to rebuild the entire cabinet but at the same time I want the repair to look good. Patching/preservation is the route I'd like to take.

Hard to say if the legs are safe to attach. The block of wood glued into the corner with the threaded brackets could be compromised and attaching legs could do more damage to the cabinet. The front panel may or may not be easy to remove. Depends on how much damage is on the joints. They could be separated and it could come off with a little prying here and there. Or, it could a PITA. If, and only if, you have carpentry skills to replace the front panel and maybe part of the sides would I mess with it. It’s possible to cut away the bad areas and add in new solid wood, but this requires a fair bit of work. How much are they asking?

#5 2 years ago

Spyro, I have some carpentry skills. Emphasis on SOME. Lol. I've built a few arcade control panels, tables, shelves, etc. Not a master carpenter by far but I feel like I might be able to make a new front panel if I absolutely had to. Like I was saying though, I'd really rather leave as much of the original panel as possible and do some kind of patch work. They're asking $600. Which I feel is a bit high but the playfield, back glass, and everything else looks great. And they said that it is 90% functional. Needs some work on a relay and possibly a new flipper assembly. With the recent hike in prices on these old pins and the fact that I honestly just really want it, I think I'd be willing to lay down the $600 to get it. Only thing I'm unsure of is the cab repair thus my reason for this post. Kind of trying to gather info and repair strategies from people that have done similar work.

#6 2 years ago

It sounds like you have enough skills to do the work if you need to. Its entirely possible that its still structurally sound, but have to see it in person to find out. If everything else is really nice, and you really want this particular machine, then I would at least try to get it for $500. There are plenty of people on this forum that can help get it up and running. If you get it, I would recommend going through and cleaning every switch in the game before trying to play it. If a switch is open, it should close, if its closed, it should open when activated. This also helps make it more reliable. Let us know what you end up doing!

#7 2 years ago

That kind of de lamination of the plywood is very hard to repair since it is not just the top veneer, but multiple layers. Remember, in the factory plywood layers are made under intense heat and pressure, which is hard to do on a built cabinet.

I would plan on replacing the front completely - for the sides, you may be able to re laminate each plywood layer by injecting glue/epoxy between the layers and clamping (easier with the front off) and after filling in the missing material with fiberglass/epoxy . Alternatively and harder to do, you can cut back the de laminated/missing sections and make a scarf joint using a quality epoxy and new wood material.

#8 2 years ago

That cabinet has spent some time on the ground wicking up moisture to have that much damage. IMO, that front is beyond any cosmetic repair and should be replaced. The sides could be filled with bondo. Personally, for an Old Chicago, and assuming everything else is in good shape, I would offer $300 and be more than happy to walk away if he balks at it. But like they say, it's worth whatever you are willing to pay and it also depends a lot on where you live.

#9 2 years ago

I would have no hesitation in attempting to repair that damage including ensuring the structural integrity of the cabinet.
The key is to install some underlying bracing material to give integrity to the bondo finish. If you have issues with the leg integrity replace the triangular leg supports within the cabinet.

canon03082017 006 (resized).JPGcanon03082017 006 (resized).JPG

canon08082017 003 (resized).JPGcanon08082017 003 (resized).JPG

Dpplaypj19 (resized).jpgDpplaypj19 (resized).jpg

canon07i082017 001 (resized).JPGcanon07i082017 001 (resized).JPG

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from shadetree77:

I've been told the legs can still be safely attached.

Told by the person who will make money if you believe that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-cabinet-damage?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.