(Topic ID: 269550)

Repairing MDF Rear/Bottom of Classic Bally cabinet ???

By Arcane

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture-3 (resized).JPG
    Picture-2 (resized).JPG
    Figure-1 (resized).JPG
    DSC04661 (resized).JPG
    DSC04659 (resized).JPG
    DSC04658 (resized).JPG
    DSC04655 (resized).JPG
    DSC04653 (resized).JPG
    DSC04646 (resized).JPG
    DSC04645 (resized).JPG
    DSC04644 (resized).JPG
    DSC04643 (resized).JPG
    DSC04642 (resized).JPG
    DSC04641 (resized).JPG
    DSC04640 (resized).JPG
    20191109_104701 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jahkub.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago

I replaced a back cabinet panel recently for a Capt. Fantastic, I just used a table saw to match the miter and rabbet / rebate. It's super helpful to cut the rabbet then the miter. I also replaced the corner glue blocks with some hard maple. A table saw, glue and some long pipe clamps will get you there.
    Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

How did you remove the existing panel without damaging the rest of the cabinet?

It was REALLY swollen and rotten, I seem to remember a couple nails that if needed, could be pushed through the side with a punch and then you'd only be dealing with old glue.

#14 3 years ago

Here's a couple photos, you can see the neck still had damage but the client was mainly concerned with structural integrity.

20191021_113921 (resized).jpg20191021_113921 (resized).jpg20191109_104701 (resized).jpg20191109_104701 (resized).jpg

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

ok. Mine is literally flaking apart at the bottom. I haven't done much with it. Just wondering if I needed to attack it with a stiff flat blade or something like that.

Prying would be tough if the glue is still holding, I'd check all the sides for any give and see if you can work it apart without too much force. I'm not sure if the nails I encountered are factory but I assume so. If you can find them and drive them through the cabinet it should make things easier.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Wasn't there a proper router bit to make that joint?

I'm sure there is but I do have a nice big table saw. It only required changing the blade settings a couple times so it seemed better than spending the time looking for and buying the proper bit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jahkub.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-bottom-of-classic-bally-cabinet-?tu=jahkub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.