(Topic ID: 269550)

Repairing MDF Rear/Bottom of Classic Bally cabinet ???

By Arcane

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture-3 (resized).JPG
    Picture-2 (resized).JPG
    Figure-1 (resized).JPG
    DSC04661 (resized).JPG
    DSC04659 (resized).JPG
    DSC04658 (resized).JPG
    DSC04655 (resized).JPG
    DSC04653 (resized).JPG
    DSC04646 (resized).JPG
    DSC04645 (resized).JPG
    DSC04644 (resized).JPG
    DSC04643 (resized).JPG
    DSC04642 (resized).JPG
    DSC04641 (resized).JPG
    DSC04640 (resized).JPG
    20191109_104701 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I was wondering if there is a thread or any information on how to repair the bottom/rear of a classic Bally cabinet (panel with the four plastic feet). That panel is made of MDF wood particle. That surface/panel gets damaged by water quite often, when the pinball is stored, erected, on concrete or other flood-able surfaces.

Before attempting a repair on my cabinet, I was wondering if there was some tricks or things to be careful about.
    Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Yves

#3 3 years ago

I used Vid's guide for my cabinet rest. Lots of good info there.

IMG_1819 (resized).jpegIMG_1819 (resized).jpeg
    #4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Clnilsen:

I used Vid's guide for my cabinet rest. Lots of good info there.[quoted image]

Beautiful Playboy machine. Which color did you end up using? I like the pink/fuschia color....very intense.

Yves

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Arcane:

Beautiful Playboy machine. Which color did you end up using? I like the pink/fuschia color....very intense.
    Yves

Rustoleum 2x Magenta Satin Spray
    Rustoleum 2x Gloss White Spray
    Rustoleum 2x Gloss Black Spray

#6 3 years ago

That's for the bottom of the bottom of the cabinet. He is talking about the backside panel that has the 4 small sliders on it. That piece take lots of punishment

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That's for the bottom of the bottom of the cabinet. He is talking about the backside panel that has the 4 small sliders on it. That piece take lots of punishment

This post does not go into much detail, since the method is discussed earlier in his topic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide/page/5#post-3731806

#8 3 years ago

I would be interested if someone has a fix for the particle board back panel. If anything, I'll use epoxy to keep the exposed side from continuing to fall apart.

#9 3 years ago

I replaced a back cabinet panel recently for a Capt. Fantastic, I just used a table saw to match the miter and rabbet / rebate. It's super helpful to cut the rabbet then the miter. I also replaced the corner glue blocks with some hard maple. A table saw, glue and some long pipe clamps will get you there.
    Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I would be interested if someone has a fix for the particle board back panel. If anything, I'll use epoxy to keep the exposed side from continuing to fall apart.

I'm guessing that is what vdojaq was asking about, as well as the OP.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jahkub:

I replaced a back cabinet panel recently for a Capt. Fantastic, I just used a table saw to match the miter and rabbet / rebate. It's super helpful to cut the rabbet then the miter. I also replaced the corner glue blocks with some hard maple. A table saw, glue and some long pipe clamps will get you there.

How did you remove the existing panel without damaging the rest of the cabinet?

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I'm guessing that is what vdojaq was asking about, as well as the OP.

Yes, i believe it is. Same with the link that you posted to Vid's guide. I have a Spanish Eyes and this back panel is falling apart at the bottom. I'd like to replace it but not damage the rest of the original cabinet. my wood working skills are like 1.5/10 lol

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

How did you remove the existing panel without damaging the rest of the cabinet?

It was REALLY swollen and rotten, I seem to remember a couple nails that if needed, could be pushed through the side with a punch and then you'd only be dealing with old glue.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jahkub:

It was REALLY swollen and rotten, I seem to remember a couple nails that if needed, could be pushed through the side with a punch and then you'd only be dealing with old glue.

ok. Mine is literally flaking apart at the bottom. I haven't done much with it. Just wondering if I needed to attack it with a stiff flat blade or something like that.

#14 3 years ago

Here's a couple photos, you can see the neck still had damage but the client was mainly concerned with structural integrity.

20191021_113921 (resized).jpg20191021_113921 (resized).jpg20191109_104701 (resized).jpg20191109_104701 (resized).jpg

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

ok. Mine is literally flaking apart at the bottom. I haven't done much with it. Just wondering if I needed to attack it with a stiff flat blade or something like that.

Prying would be tough if the glue is still holding, I'd check all the sides for any give and see if you can work it apart without too much force. I'm not sure if the nails I encountered are factory but I assume so. If you can find them and drive them through the cabinet it should make things easier.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jahkub:

Wasn't there a proper router bit to make that joint?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Wasn't there a proper router bit to make that joint?

I'm sure there is but I do have a nice big table saw. It only required changing the blade settings a couple times so it seemed better than spending the time looking for and buying the proper bit.

#19 3 years ago

Wrong cabinet, that's for modern Bally/Williams. We are talking classic Bally

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jahkub:

I'm sure there is but I do have a nice big table saw. It only required changing the blade settings a couple times so it seemed better than spending the time looking for and buying the proper bit.

I swear the proper bit for the Bally cabinets had been posted at one time?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Wrong cabinet, that's for modern Bally/Williams. We are talking classic Bally

Likely in that topic however.

1 week later
    #22 3 years ago

I finally fixed the rear panel of my Classic Bally Cabinet. It was actually quite simple and did not require any special bits.
    It may look like an heresy to the purist, but compared to the MDF crappy board that Bally provided, it will be a lot better and sturdier.

The most difficult is to actually remove the old soaked panel: I used a rubber mallet and broke it out, so to speak. The board was so bad, it only took a blow to break it:
    DSC04643 (resized).JPGDSC04643 (resized).JPG
    This is what you get after sanding and priming. The corners holding the legs, will be removed and glued back in place for stronger bonds.
    DSC04640 (resized).JPGDSC04640 (resized).JPG
    Basically, you are left with a square opening of 1/2 inch thick and a 45 degrees angled opening on both horizontal sides.
    DSC04641 (resized).JPGDSC04641 (resized).JPG
    DSC04642 (resized).JPGDSC04642 (resized).JPG
    The idea is to glue in place a piece of 1/2 inch plywood squarely cut of about 19 x 22 inches (measure to make sure it matches your cabinet). The piece is glued and clamped for at least 24 hours. I use Titebond 3 as a glue. That piece of plywood has a little gouge of 1/4 inch, to hold in place the bottom of the cabinet:
    DSC04644 (resized).JPGDSC04644 (resized).JPG
    My cut was a little bit too large and I should have done it smaller (in width).
    DSC04645 (resized).JPGDSC04645 (resized).JPG
    Test fit the board and then glue in place using a few wide clamps.
    DSC04646 (resized).JPGDSC04646 (resized).JPG
    Once the glue is dry, flip the cabinet over and re-install the corners, while adding some more glue for good measure.
    DSC04653 (resized).JPGDSC04653 (resized).JPG
    The, re-create the hols for the leg bolt. I used a round file to finish smoothly the openings, and verified with a bolt that it slides easily:
    DSC04655 (resized).JPGDSC04655 (resized).JPG
    Them a piece of 1/4 inch plywood (approximately 19 x 22) is carefully cut with its two horizontal sides cut at 45 degrees. Make sure that the board fits perfectly:
    DSC04658 (resized).JPGDSC04658 (resized).JPG
    After gluing overnight, the board is ready for sanding, priming and painting.
    DSC04659 (resized).JPGDSC04659 (resized).JPG
    DSC04661 (resized).JPGDSC04661 (resized).JPG
    It may not be perfect for some of you, but when I compare with the original condition, I like my simple and easy modification a lot:
    Figure-1 (resized).JPGFigure-1 (resized).JPG
    Picture-2 (resized).JPGPicture-2 (resized).JPG
    Picture-3 (resized).JPGPicture-3 (resized).JPG

Once painted, I will add four large gliders (not the stupid and useless tiny Bally gliders) that will hopefully protect the bottom of the cabinet from water damage and humidity, when stored erected.

Yves

#23 3 years ago

awesome job

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-bottom-of-classic-bally-cabinet-?hl=atari_daze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.