(Topic ID: 69415)

Repair tools

By FrederikFrost

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B790687.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Hello folks.

Soo, christmas is coming up, and I was wondering if you guys in here have some input as to which tools is required, or at least very handy to have in your pinball toolcase.

I have a multimeter, and a soldering iron, but I'm lacking on standard basic tools.

A comprehensive list of tools would be very appreciated, anything from as basic as it can get to the more technical tools.

I hope you guys can help me out!

Fred

#2 10 years ago

A set of magnetic nut drivers is my favorite purchase so far. So many times, you can't fit a second hand into a crevice to remove or replace a nut, and they're a life saver.
    http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-647M-Magnetic-Driver/dp/B000MKIUYQ/ref=sr_1_2

#4 10 years ago

Thanks guys! Appreciated Sorry, could probably have used the search feature better. I must admit it's just easier to start one, if the first search page doesn't match :I

#5 10 years ago

As far as comprehensive lists, there have been other threads on pinside about the subject. Lists are also available on the repair sites. This one on the Bally early solid state site:

Non-Specialized Tools Required:

Work Light: clamp style lamp
    Screwdrivers: small and medium size, phillips and flat head
    Nut Drivers: 1/4", 5/16", and 11/32"
    Wrenches: 3/8", 9/16", 5/8" required, other sizes suggested
    Allen Wrenches: get an assortment of American sizes
    Needle Nose Pliers
    Hemostat. Handy for holding parts and springs. Best to have both the curved and straight versions if possible.
    Right Angled Screwdriver: both phillips and flat head.

Specialized Tools Required:
    These specialized electronics tools are needed..

Alligator clips and wire.
    Soldering Iron.
    Rosin Core 60/40 Solder.
    De-soldering tool.
    Digital Multi-Meter (DMM).
    Logic Probe.

There are a few tools that seem to almost always come out when I repair besides the DMM and soldering equipment. Number one is my camping LED headlamp - it puts light where I need it. My handheld magnifying glass. A full nutdriver/socket set - you'll use this for leg bolts, backbox bolts, and much more. Another would be my hex head set. Another simple handly tool is a few pieces of plastic flexible tubing. I can't remember which size I.D. it was, but what I use fits snug over the lamps...indispensable for changing out bulbs without breakage.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Allen Wrenches: get an assortment of American sizes

I'd like to expand on this...get a set that has the 9/64 size (like 12 or 13 wrenches, vs. the smaller sets). There are smaller sets that don't include the 9/64 size, and I found myself needing that size.

The tool I use almost every time I open a game up, is a telescoping magnetic pickup tool.

...and a magnetic parts bowl.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

The tool I use almost every time I open a game up, is a telescoping magnetic pickup tool.
    ...and a magnetic parts bowl.

Just a note on this. Coil stops becoming magnetized can be problematic in a game. I don't know if this has ever been caused by a magnetic pickup tool or parts bowl but it is noteworthy, so maybe avoid putting those in contact with the stops.

Another 'tool' to go along with this...I use an old beach towel and lay it in the bottom of the cabinet to catch falling parts, or to put on top of the game when working in the backbox. I find that I often need it the most when I have forgot to use it!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Non-Specialized Tools Required:
    Work Light: clamp style lamp

agreed... My most used and cheapest tool.

B790687.jpgB790687.jpg

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

A set of magnetic nut drivers is my favorite purchase so far.

+1.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks a lot for the tips guys!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-tools and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.