Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Drop target link (resized).jpg
PXL_20201007_223837269 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201007_222845630 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Recently purchased a barely functional 1976 Bally Old Chicago and I am working through the process of restoring it. The other night while testing it, the drop targets stopped resetting. Upon further inspection I found the link connecting the drop target solenoid plunger (4) to the reset arm (5) had worn through.
Drop target link (resized).jpg

At some point in the machine's history, the shoulder stud had been replaced by a 2" long flat 1/4" screw and secured with 2 square nuts. There was lots of play in the screw and obviously over time the threads on the screw acted like a file and chewed their way through the end of the link.

I was able to order the shoulder stud (S-458-26) and link (P-1973-337) from Pinball Resource but until the parts arrive, the drop targets are out of commission.

Unable to accept this, I decided to try and repair the link. I took a piece of glass and wiped a very thin layer of light oil on it. I placed the link on the glass, put a few washers on the undamaged end to weight it down and overfilled the the hole on the damaged end with epoxy. I let it cure overnight then trimmed, shaved and sanded the excess epoxy into the shape of the original link. In fact I left a little extra at the bottom of the link to add some extra strength. PXL_20201007_222845630 (resized).jpg

I exchanged the flat screw with a shorter 3/4" long 1/4" pan head screw and reused the two square nuts. Put it all back together and tested it.PXL_20201007_223837269 (resized).jpg

After 20 games and approximately 100 drop target resets the repair seems to be holding. When I get the replacement parts, I plan to install the shoulder stud, but I think I will keep the repaired link in place to see how long it will last before it fails.

There are similar links in the flippers and other solenoids. Is there a source of the link material in larger "boards" that can be cut a shaped as needed? Has anyone considered making "boards" using fiberglass/kevlar/carbon fiber and resin to make a more durable link?

#2 3 months ago

Well done on the repair. The Pinball Resource also sells pieces of the fiber link material I believe. Other materials can be used to make links too although when other materials are used as flipper links many players will notice the difference.

/Mark

#3 3 months ago

Pinball Resource sells the link material.

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html#Material

Scroll down to "MAT-LINK".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, CA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 49.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 81.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 0.10
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Stuff
$ 39.95
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 219.99
Lighting - Interactive
Medisinyl Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
ArcadeArts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside