• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone,
I have a 1974 Williams Star Pool. Recently the solenoid on the score motor burst into flames! Bit of a short-circuit I think.
I have removed the motor and counted the windings off the solenoid (340!) so that I can try to hand wind a new solenoid.

Has anyone tried this before? Any recommendations on the wire gauge? Source of wiring in the UK? I can not see an easy way to disassemble the motor so will have to make a bobbin and hand wind the solenoid 'in place'. Any other suggestions?

Score motor spec is #7884
Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Easier to buy another one.
Should be quite a lot of these motors around.

#3 6 years ago

Pinball Resource rebuilds those motors. They could even sell you the replacement coil for the motor if you wanted to swap out the bad one yourself.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Pinball Resource rebuilds those motors. They could even sell you the replacement coil for the motor if you wanted to swap out the bad one yourself.

I would like to look at that. Does anyone know how to disassemble the motor to be able to be able to fit a new coil? I could easily make a new coil but can't work out how to fit it?

Thanks

#5 6 years ago

I believe the coil is attached by two tubular rivets that you drill out. Then replace the destroyed rivets with brass nut and brass bolt.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.98
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!