20170917_181957 (resized).jpg
20170917_182527 (resized).jpg
20170918_213915 (resized).jpg
20170918_215200 (resized).jpg
20170917_181904 (resized).jpg
EBD (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello All,

I'm hoping those with more experience than me can mentor me a little bit and check my thinking with a problem I am working through. This is on a Eight Ball Deluxe LE pinball with the -54 rectifier board. I picked this up recently and for some reason, many wires in the game were cut and then twisted back together (usually with electrical tape covering the twist). I repaired as many of these hacks as I could find and traced down any wires that seemed out of place. I then rebuilt every single component on the rectifier board because I found voltages out of spec. Just yesterday I was going through the test menu for the first time trying to find why I wasn't getting sound effects and I stopped on the solenoid test.

The game started doing the solenoid tests and the displays all went out when it reached #3. I did some digging today and discovered that solenoid #3 is for the knocker. So I traced the knocker wires and discovered that the previous owner had removed all traces of the knocker assembly and hacked together the power lead in to another circuit (coin door lockout solenoid). I guess he was thinking that that solenoid wasn't really needed, so firing that off when the knocker went off would be fine. It turns out it wasn't fine. I had missed it while fixing up their hacks. Because of the diode on that coil, the current was forced to flow back in to the rectifier board.

The green wire that the knocker wire was soldered in to went to connector J2 on the rectifier board. So here is where I begin to be unsure and would appreciate input. The current wanted to get to ground and complete the circuit, but it blew a few things along the way. It looks like it tried to cross the varistor and the fuse after going through the bridge rectifier. I'm not sure if the fuse blew because of that current, but regardless the varistor must have shorted and quickly wiped out the fuse. I'm also not sure why it blew this varistor at all, why not just go straight to the ground after going through the rectifier.

So that should cover the damage that was done by their hack (right?). I was thinking of removing that varistor to check if everything is functioning, but I don't fully understand what that varistor is doing, so I figured I should replace it instead of just remove it until the new one comes. I attempted to check the rectifier on that circuit, but I was getting weird readings and don't have a diode test function on my DMM. Based on my understanding of rectifiers, I figured I could check continuity between the negative and two adjacent legs. I wasn't getting any continuity even though I figured I should measuring in that direction. Same thing on both rectifiers, so I wasn't sure how to interpret that.

So thanks for reading. I am attaching an image from the schematic so you don't have to search. If you can, please let me know if I seem to be on the right track. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated also. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

How was the knocker wire hacked into the coin door lockout exactly?

Either way, #1 is to go get a DMM with a diode setting. Even the $5 ones at harbor freight have it. If you own even one machine you'll need to be testing diodes eventually.

As far as continuity goes, you should get continuity from the - to each of the ~ sides, but only one way. It can get messed up by other stuff in the circuits though, so it's not 100% reliable if the bridge is still attached to the board.

Which fuse blew?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How was the knocker wire hacked into the coin door lockout exactly?
Either way, #1 is to go get a DMM with a diode setting. Even the $5 ones at harbor freight have it. If you own even one machine you'll need to be testing diodes eventually.
As far as continuity goes, you should get continuity from the - to each of the ~ sides, but only one way. It can get messed up by other stuff in the circuits though, so it's not 100% reliable if the bridge is still attached to the board.
Which fuse blew?

Yeah, I'll have to look in to getting one. I ordered new bridge rectifiers because they were cheap and I needed to get the varistor anyway. I don't know why my picture didn't attach, I'll try again. But to answer your question, it was the 5A F4 fuse that is on that same circuit as the varistor that shorted.

EBD (resized).jpgEBD (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Well, studied the wiring diagram some more and I think I understand better now. What the previous owner had done was connect the power and ground for the solenoid together. The positive wire was run in series to the coin door lockout solenoid, which had me confused at first.

Does anyone know why a direct short like that would blow the fuse and varistor? Is it because there is to much current flowing to ground and pops the fuse? In that case why the varistor also? In any case, I thought those were the only two issues so I replaced the varistor and fuse only to turn it on and blow both of them again. I'm in a little over my head on this one, can someone give me some pointers? Could the bridge, resistor, or transformer on that circuit have an issue also?

Thanks in advance

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Well, studied the wiring diagram some more and I think I understand better now. What the previous owner had done was connect the power and ground for the solenoid together. The positive wire was run in series to the coin door lockout solenoid, which had me confused at first.
Does anyone know why a direct short like that would blow the fuse and varistor? Is it because there is to much current flowing to ground and pops the fuse? In that case why the varistor also? In any case, I thought those were the only two issues so I replaced the varistor and fuse only to turn it on and blow both of them again. I'm in a little over my head on this one, can someone give me some pointers? Could the bridge, resistor, or transformer on that circuit have an issue also?
Thanks in advance

A direct short to ground would probably blow the transistor too. Are you testing with the other boards plugged in? I'd remove J1+3 from the rectifier board to rule other stuff out.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

A direct short to ground would probably blow the transistor too. Are you testing with the other boards plugged in? I'd remove J1+3 from the rectifier board to rule other stuff out.

The transistor may be blown, yes. I've had blown transistors before though and didn't pop a fuse or transistor. It must be something else that was brought on by this short. I only have one more varistor on hand, so I would like to troubleshoot or have good confidence before replacing it and trying again. Thanks for your input

#8 6 years ago

So if the varistor shorted, most likely it got to much voltage. I checked the green/orange feed from the transformer for the +43 vdc line and got about 53 volts AC. The varistor that blew is rated to 60 vAC, so I'm still at a loss for what is happening. Can someone give me some things to check? Should I replace the bridge rectifier? If so, can someone explain why one of those being bad would give me my symptoms?

#9 6 years ago

Varistors are designed to short high voltage transients that appear across them. If you've put a new varistor in and it's blown straight away, you have an overvoltage situation - possibly the solenoid voltage shorted to a higher voltage somewhere.

Do you have the mains side of the transformer jumpered for the correct wall power voltage?
The green knocker wire should go to pin 4 of J2 at the rectifier board.

Isolate everything (backbox/playfield/cabinet) off the rectifier board as @zajac mentioned. So with the machine OFF, disconnect J1, J2, J3 and J4 from the rectifier board. Remove the F5 fuse and cut out the blown varistor (don't replace it yet).

Power the machine ON. Do all the AC voltages coming from the transformer to the rectifier board measure within tolerance?
Still with F5 fuse removed, do you measure any voltage on the varistor side of the F5 fuse clip?

Post clear front and back pictures of the rectifier board.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

So if the varistor shorted, most likely it got to much voltage. I checked the green/orange feed from the transformer for the +43 vdc line and got about 53 volts AC. The varistor that blew is rated to 60 vAC, so I'm still at a loss for what is happening. Can someone give me some things to check? Should I replace the bridge rectifier? If so, can someone explain why one of those being bad would give me my symptoms?

The varistor across the ac lugs of the solenoid bridge is 100v, a 60v one might go bang.

off hand i think mov 14d101k is a good part number for the -18 rectifier, probably so for the -54 too. 14d = diameter 14mm, 101k = 100v.

#11 6 years ago

A Littelfuse version would be part number V100ZA15P.
This has a nominial varistor voltage (firing voltage) of 100V.
And maximum continuous DC voltage of 60VAC or 81VDC.
The Bourns 14D101K is the same part but different manufacturer.
Sounds like the MOV you are using with the 60VAC rating is the correct part.

Is the MOV really going bad? If so - what happens to it? When these go - they typically toastify themselves in the process. MOVs don't care about shorts - but they do care about an excessive voltage. It takes a higher than normal voltage into that circuit to trigger the MOV. But it sounds like you have a short and not an excessive voltage.
If you replaced the bridge and the fuse blows - you have another issue. Bad 25 ohm resistor? To me - this sounds more likely to be a wiring problem.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Varistors are designed to short high voltage transients that appear across them. If you've put a new varistor in and it's blown straight away, you have an overvoltage situation - possibly the solenoid voltage shorted to a higher voltage somewhere.
Do you have the mains side of the transformer jumpered for the correct wall power voltage?
The green knocker wire should go to pin 4 of J2 at the rectifier board.
Isolate everything (backbox/playfield/cabinet) off the rectifier board as @zajac mentioned. So with the machine OFF, disconnect J1, J2, J3 and J4 from the rectifier board. Remove the F5 fuse and cut out the blown varistor (don't replace it yet).
Power the machine ON. Do all the AC voltages coming from the transformer to the rectifier board measure within tolerance?
Still with F5 fuse removed, do you measure any voltage on the varistor side of the F5 fuse clip?
Post clear front and back pictures of the rectifier board.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I put a new fuse and varistor in and it immediately blew both of them. The varistor didn't visually appear bad, but when I test resistance it's a dead short. I verified this isn't normal with a new varistor. Keep in mind that the voltages all checked out after I rebuilt the board and didn't have an issue until I activated the knocker hack in the solenoid test.

I checked voltages while troubleshooting this issue initially when it shorted, I was getting 0 volts for the 43 vdc feed as expected due to the blown fuse. I'm assuming that when you said f5, you actually meant the fuse for the 43 volt feed, which is f4. I'll remove that fuse and varistor and check those voltages tonight along with taking pictures of the front and back of the boards. I'll also check out the resistor in the circuit.

One thing I noted before that I still find strange is that when I do the diode test on both bridges, I get very strange readings. I want to try a different multimeter because mine is difficult to understand. I checked a diode on the bench and those readings made sense, but not the bridge readings. I think I'll check one of my other games and compare. Both bridges had the same strange readings though and the 5 volt feed seems ok.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The varistor across the ac lugs of the solenoid bridge is 100v, a 60v one might go bang.
off hand i think mov 14d101k is a good part number for the -18 rectifier, probably so for the -54 too. 14d = diameter 14mm, 101k = 100v.

The part number for the varistor I'm using is

V100ZA15P

It's from gpe which maybe explains why he is sticking up for it, haha. As he said, it's rated for 60vac or 81 vdc.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

The part number for the varistor I'm using is
V100ZA15P
It's from gpe which maybe explains why he is sticking up for it, haha. As he said, it's rated for 60vac or 81 vdc.

That part is fine. V100 would be indicating 100v. A15p probably diameter 15mm.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I'm assuming that when you said f5, you actually meant the fuse for the 43 volt feed, which is f4.

Ughh, sorry you're right. I meant fuse F4.

Quoted from PinballTilt:

One thing I noted before that I still find strange is that when I do the diode test on both bridges, I get very strange readings.

Can you elaborate on what was strange with the readings?

How do you have the knocker connected right now? Green 43V wire from the rectifier board J2 pin 4 soldered to the knocker coil where the banded side of the diode is? and Black/White wire from the SDB J2 pin 5 connected to the other side of the knocker coil?
Is the diode on the knocker coil still good? The green 43V wire also goes to the coin lockout coil (banded diode side).

#16 6 years ago

Sorry I haven't responded until now. One of the comments mentioned checking the wiring because of the weird issues I am having. I didn't do that at first because I believed the seller and the voltages seemed to check out when I tested it. Well...i should have known with how shoddy the hacks on this game are to check closer.

I'm attaching a picture of what I found when I investigated j1 for the transformer. I don't fully understand what exactly this setup would do to my voltages, but at the very least it needs corrected. They have the jumpers way wrong and are feeding voltage to the 100 volt, 115 volt, and 120 volt inputs to the transformer. There was also no common jumper for the transformer.

I'm also attaching the pictures of both sides of the rectifier board. Nothing jumped out at me and everything looks to be soldered properly. I did find that the positive and negative for the knocker were still connected and perhaps the mpu was still stuck in the test mode for the knocker, causing the fuse to blow again. Not sure on why the varistor went also.

I checked for voltage on the other side of the f4 fuse and found none when the fuse was pulled. So I'm going to fix the jumpers for the transformer and isolate the knocker wires before replacing the varistor and fuse. While replacing the fuse I'll also check the resistor in that circuit and investigate the bridge rectifier farther.

20170917_181904 (resized).jpg20170917_181904 (resized).jpg

20170918_215200 (resized).jpg20170918_215200 (resized).jpg

20170918_213915 (resized).jpg20170918_213915 (resized).jpg

20170917_182527 (resized).jpg20170917_182527 (resized).jpg

20170917_181957 (resized).jpg20170917_181957 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

That picture of the Black-White wire connected to the Green wire is a dead short of the knocker drive circuit and will certainly blow the F4 fuse when the game wants to activate the knocker. Disconnect them and tape them separately for the moment so they don't short/touch anything. It doesn't quite explain why the Varistor shorted..
You very likely also have a shorted Q3 drive transistor on the SDB for the knocker too.

The two Green wires should be connected together, and the second Green wire goes to the coin lockout coil. Make sure there's no funny business going on there with the wiring too.

The J1 transformer cable is configured for 115VAC at the moment. The transformer has two input windings and they are wired in parallel for low voltage countries. I would leave it for the now and deal with it later if you want.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

That picture of the Black-White wire connected to the Green wire is a dead short of the knocker drive circuit and will certainly blow the F4 fuse when the game wants to activate the knocker. Disconnect them and tape them separately for the moment so they don't short/touch anything. It doesn't quite explain why the Varistor shorted..
You very likely also have a shorted Q3 drive transistor on the SDB for the knocker too.
The two Green wires should be connected together, and the second Green wire goes to the coin lockout coil. Make sure there's no funny business going on there with the wiring too.
The J1 transformer cable is configured for 115VAC at the moment. The transformer has two input windings and they are wired in parallel for low voltage countries. I would leave it for the now and deal with it later if you want.

Interesting. So the common jumper isn't necessary then? The way I pictured the transformer input side was a bunch of tabs at varying number of turns and you fees the power to the right location. It looked to me like the current setup has the line voltage going to several of those tabs instead if just the 115v one. I haven't verified this with continuity though.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

So the common jumper isn't necessary then?

The common jumper is neccessary for US 115/120V power and is part of what connects the two primary windings together in parallel (countries with 220/240V AC input have the two primary windings connected in series). You also currently have the two 115VAC winding taps connected together to complete the parallel winding connection.

The schematic picture below shows how the J1 connector is wired per input voltage.
The picture underneath shows the pin numbering on the connector.
To change to 120V, you need to remove the wire from pin3 and install it in pin 4 and remove the wire from pin 10 and install it in pin 11. Hope this kind of makes sense.

PS-54_Schem.jpgPS-54_Schem.jpg
PS-54a.jpgPS-54a.jpg

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The common jumper is neccessary for US 115/120V power and is part of what connects the two primary windings together in parallel (countries with 220/240V AC input have the two primary windings connected in series). You also currently have the two 115VAC windings connected together to complete the parallel winding connection.
The schematic picture below shows how the J1 connector is wired per input voltage.
The picture underneath shows the pin numbering on the connector.
To change to 120V, you need to remove the wire from pin3 and install it in pin 4 and remove the wire from pin 10 and install it in pin 11. Hope this kind of makes sense.

Thank you very much. I was actually numbering the connector differently which is why I drew my picture the way I did. I was going left to right from top down. That makes more sense now

#21 6 years ago

If you have a magnifying glass, you can see the numbers next to the holes on the connector.

2 weeks later
#22 6 years ago

The game is working again. I replaced the varistor and fuse again after removing that short. Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-questions-as-2518-54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.