Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fixed.JPG
    NoStartButton.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from zapdbf:

"If a modification is required to fix a problem, then it is not a fix but a design change and that does not end in a quality result."

So.... just to name a few, removing batteries from the board, using molex/trifurcon's instead of IDC for constant voltage connectors, replacing the mosfets for Stern Whitestar flipper driver transistors when they blow with IRL540s, and many other things.... this doesn't end in a quality, better than original result...?

There are lots of changes in design, done at the repair level, and further implemented throughout further versions of the board sets in pinball.

Sorry, I disagree with your statement. Things you pointed out are considered hacks by most (ie bypassing connectors). I agree with this, if you meant it this way:

"If a hack is required to fix a problem, then it is not a fix but a hack, which means you are a hack for hacking over doing it the right way, and that does not end in a quality result over the accepted modification."

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Personally I think this is a worthwhile discussion, and don't let the naysayers bother you (there are plenty of them on Pinside).

Quoted from zapdbf:

if you don't agree fine. my point was to help people in there attempt at repairing an issue.
    not to pat myself on the back, just trying to give back a little. I was hoping that my long career and the trials I went through would help somebody else and make it easier for them. if you are unsure how to proceed in a repair don't modify it to fix it.
    that is all I have to say about it.
    sorry I even tried.

But what you are saying is liking stating Clay's Guides, for example is a bunch of hacks for the global collection of repairs and upgrades that should be done. It's like saying repairing the ground issues in a Gottlieb System 1 or 80 is not a good end result. Sorry, there are many, many things in pinball that were not good ideas, and the consensus on modifications to make them stronger and reliable are good, solid ideas for the most part.

You mention the Sys1 ground in your first post. I just don't understand how you can state that does not end in a quality end result over leaving it original. I mean, what is your belief then for overcoming that very serious issue for that system?

Again, you mentioned a straight wire avoiding a connector, and I would label that a "hack" by slang definition, something that while it improves the connectivity, creates a further issue in removal down the line.

Maybe I'm missing your point, because I don't want anyone to think that they should not complete the mods that have been raised here, or other standards in pinball repair in maintenance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-philosophy?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.