(Topic ID: 234562)

repair particleboard flaking along edges

By miatawnt2b

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am working on a Midway Slugger and I have it pretty much working 100%. It is in really nice shape for its age, and while the paint is chipped and worn I really want to keep it in working playable condition without restoring it. (I won't say "original playable" because there are mismatched and new coils, and some reproduction pieces)

Anyhow, There are some areas of the cabinet that have probably seen moisture at one time or another. There is some rotting (more like dry rot rather than moisture soaked) of the lower cabinet on the back at the very bottom. (think of where you would grab the back to lift it). The upper cabinet is made of particleboard, and it is starting to chip away around the lock where people would slightly pry to open the back door. It's very brittle and every time I open the door some falls away.

I am wondering what the right way to preserve this would be. I have thought about epoxy resin brushed over the edge of the bottom cabinet to hold the plywood together and keep it from further delamination. That seems like the strongest repair, and it is unseen except if you look under the cabinet. The particle board is another story. Even very thin resin used on fiberglass isn't going to soak into the particleboard and hold things together well IMO. So I am wondering what else I could use. I thought of Mod Podge, or some sort of thinned PVA wood glue brushed onto the chipping area. This would soak into the particleboard and hold it together I think.

I figured I'd ask here to see if there is another method I may not be thinking of.
    What say you?

-J

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-particleboard-flaking-along-edges and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.