• Latest reply 4 years ago by schudel5
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A15646-Schematic (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

The opto board A-15646 on my BSD is acting up. All of a sudden the detector switch is changing state randomly, but at other times also works correctly. It doesn't appear connector related, and moving the board to another machine, behavior follows.

I know replacements are available, but it looks like a simple board. Has anyone fixed one of these? Anyone recognize the symptoms and what component it might be? I'll get replacement chips and try replacing those: I'm suspicious of U2 or U1.

A15646-Schematic (resized).JPGA15646-Schematic (resized).JPG

#2 4 years ago

Inductor L1 is heavy and prone to having the solder pads crack or legs break off due to vibration. Check that and reflow solder at L1 and see if that helps any.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. The board has obviously been worked on before: has a different inductor than the clean example I have in the other machine, and also has a bunch of hot glue around the base, so previous repairer was aware of that problem.

I pulled out the logic probe and monitored U1 output P1. It is always correct and changes accordingly to opto beam breaking, even when the change isn't detected in switch test, so it seems the problem is on the right half of the schematic. Maybe Q1 or U2. Of course trying more probing was futile as I couldn't get it to fail any further.

#4 4 years ago

Changing the 100uF caps saved my board...different sympthom though

#5 4 years ago

I decided to take a closer look at the inductor, but removing all the hot glue was a pain: is there a good way to do this? There was a pretty big solder blob inside, so looks like broken leg was probably reattached on the top side with that, also explains why it wasn't sitting flush to the board and had all that hot glue.

Does anyone have a broken board they replaced and don't need? I haven't found any one place that has all the suspect parts.

#6 4 years ago

Can anyone verify the inductor spec? Is it 10uH or 10 mH? Parts list says uH, schematic says mH. Part has no marking. I'm guessing it is probably 10mH as on the schematic.

There's other errors too, these should be:

R1 - 2.7k
R9 - 470
R12 - 0

#7 4 years ago

10mH

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-long-beam-opto-board-15646?hl=harig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.