IMG_5018.JPG
ram.jpg
6264.jpg
6809.jpg
IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG
IMG_5018_edit.jpg
IMG_5024.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

This is a WPC-89 MPU originally out of an Indiana Jones. It came out of a customer's HS2. Not that it matters, they are 100% compatible if you change the game ROM.

Customer's complaint is the board won't boot. D19 and D21 are locked on. D20 doesn't flicker.

When D19 and D21 are locked on, this can often be a challenging board to troubleshoot.

As a reminder, the expected behavior of a WPC MPU during boot is

D19 - Blanking circuit indicator. Should turn on for about 1 second when power is applied, and stay off after.
D20 - Diagnostic LED. Should flash once D19 goes out every second or so.
D21 - Indicates +5 is present. Should always be on.

D20 also indicates errors.

1 flash = problem with ROM
2 flashes = problem with ram chip
3 flashes = problem with ASIC or security chip, if equipped.

My troubleshooting steps in this situation are as follows:

1) See how bad the board is locked up with a logic probe. Is the CPU running? Is there activity on the address and data lines?
2) Swap ROM, ASIC, Processor and see if they are the problem

This particular board had a tiny bit of corrosion on one terminal of the battery pack. Pretty common problem with WPCs. So, I decided to cut the battery pack out.

IMG_5024.JPGIMG_5024.JPG

This is why you can't just 'clean up' the board with a little vinegar when you see a fuzzy battery terminal. You need to remove the battery holder, neutralize the corrosion, and remove it. You're taking a board that can very likely be repaired with minimal expense, and turning it into a project that takes 5x as long to repair. If it gets very bad, it may not be economically repairable. But I'll get off my soap box.

This isn't keeping the board from booting. It might cause some switch matrix nightmares, but it's not keeping the board from booting.

Continuing my close looks... there are some repaired traces in the area between the memory chip and the ASIC. That could contribute...

IMG_5018_edit.jpgIMG_5018_edit.jpg

But, that's not it. They buzz out OK.

This had me take a closer look at the ASIC socket, though, as I noticed some of the pins looked a little funky.

IMG_4995.JPGIMG_4995.JPG

Up close

IMG_4996.JPGIMG_4996.JPG

But, again, I don't think that's causing the actual problem - although with the discolored pin, residue inside the socket, and a couple slightly mangled pins in the socket, I think it needs replaced - AFTER I get the board working.

So, I got my logic probe out, and my schematic.

If you're going to be working on WPC CPUs, you don't want some PDF schematic downloaded off the internet. Most of them have poor quality and are hard to read. Get the big fold out type like came with your game, if you don't have one. eBay is a good source for these! Yeah, I'm going to post some captures from a PDF of a few ICs, but that's because I'm not gonna break out a macro lens and take actual close-ups of these items.

In this case, I'm using a 16-9834.2 schematic manual, from January of 1995. This particular manual was revised a few times, get the latest version you can find.

I want to start by using my logic probe to check for activity on all address and data lines. Start with the CPU.

6809.jpg6809.jpg

A0-A15 are the address lines.
D0-D7 are the data lines.

In this case, they are all moving. Good sign.

So, I moved on to the 6264 (some have 62256 RAM chips, which are fine as long as you rejumper for them)

6264.jpg6264.jpg

Address line 2 isn't moving.

But, it was moving on the processor!

Looking at the schematic, address line 2 goes to quite a few ICs. After the ram chip, it goes to the ASIC. But before it gets to the ram chip, it goes to the ROM.

ram.jpgram.jpg

(yes, I see this is ram.jpg, should have been rom.jpg)

At the game ROM, there's no activity on A2 (pin 10).

So, I put my DMM on continuity test, and found that the CPU A2 (U4-10) was not connected to the ROM A2 (U6-10).

I have a good WPC CPU on the bench, and before I dig too deep, I always buzz out the connection on a working board, to make sure the schematic isn't lying to me. That happens sometimes.. and in this case, the schematic wasn't lying.

I decided to run a quick test, before I heated up the soldering iron. I used a pair of spring clips to temporarily connect U4-10 to U6-10, and it booted!

IMG_5016.JPGIMG_5016.JPG

So, I pulled the game ROM, and took a close look at the socket. It didn't look so hot, so I replaced it.

IMG_5018.JPGIMG_5018.JPG

I had hoped this would fix the problem, but it didn't. The trace was somehow compromised, so I had to run a jumper connecting U4-10 to U6-10.

IMG_5026.JPGIMG_5026.JPG

Now that the board is working, I will replace the ASIC socket, and then finally attack the corrosion. Why not do it all at once? Because if I break something, I want to know where to look

I think I'm going to build my sandblasting cabinet on Black Friday while everyone is out shopping... perhaps I'll bead blast this one to clean up the corrosion.

#3 9 years ago

So, what did it look like under the ASIC socket, you ask?

IMG_5028.JPGIMG_5028.JPGIMG_5029.JPGIMG_5029.JPGIMG_5034.JPGIMG_5034.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-log-ij-cpu-d19-d21-locked-on?tu=johnwartjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.