Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by royalguard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I live in Central Connecticut and am desperately seeking an EM repair person to help on my beloved Royal Guard. Immediate issue is that the playfield lights suddenly went out (can see a flicker but that's it) even though backglass lights are fine. I know my limitations (changing rubbers and bulbs), but much more would be making a bad situation worse.

Would love to find someone willing to do the repair in house. Will obviously pay a fair price for expert help. The guy I bought the machine from was excellent, but has now moved out of state. Thanks for any suggestions on good EM repair people.

#2 2 years ago

Did you smack the side of the game really hard? Lol that usually works. Dad taught me that trick on old tube tv's when vertical and horizontal was messing up.

Seriously, I hope you find a repair person. Most likely a sticky contact and game not returning to home.

#3 2 years ago

Ha ha....and yeah, after laughing at your post, I did give it a smack. Hey, you never know. Sticky contact makes sense as the "Final ball in play" light stays on. Have no idea what sticky contact that might be, but hey, it's a start.
    I do like this pin and if I find someone good, I might just invest a few bucks and go through wiring, clean up sockets and throw some new flippers on it....

Thanks for the yuks, and the suggestion.

#4 2 years ago

Bump in hopes you find someone to help. In the meantime, you may want to post a tech thread describing your issue on the EM tech forum here. They might be able to walk you through a bit of troubleshooting. It might be an easy fix if you're lucky...

Good luck!

#5 2 years ago

If I lived in CT still I'd help you out, I'll look at the Royal Guard schematic at the store today, first thing you could do is pull the male jones plug that goes up to the play field and clean with a scotch brite pad and alcohol. Flat bar with a bunch of wires going to a wire harness. Let dry then replug it back in. See if there is a change. If you need more help PM me.

#6 2 years ago

Check the fuse clip for the playfield lighting,fuse could be bad or just loose. This is in front by the tilt bob.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from pintoys:

Check the fuse clip for the playfield lighting,fuse could be bad or just loose. This is in front by the tilt bob.

I would place my money on what pintoys says.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks all for your suggestions and assistance- I'll give a shot today on the pintoys recommendation as that is the easiest for this technically challenged pinlover.

#9 2 years ago

OK, guys. Making headway. Good news/bad news. Replaced the fuse (BussmanAGC10) Lit up like a Christmas tree. Played two games and blew again. Suggestions?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from royalguard:

OK, guys. Making headway. Good news/bad news. Replaced the fuse (BussmanAGC10) Lit up like a Christmas tree. Played two games and blew again. Suggestions?

Seems like something is not letting loose and holding current for too long and blowing that fuse. I am sure pintoys will work with you more. These old games are fun, but the contact points need love, otherwise they will stick together and blammo, blown fuse.

#11 2 years ago

A few suggestions:

- Get a set of circuit breakers to stand in for the fuse that's blowing.
    - If you can start and play a game, activate playfield features one at a time by hand to see if you can identify what event blows the fuse. It could be a short caused when some device moves.
    - Ask your questions in the EM Tech forum. You'll likely get more EM eyes on them there.

/Mark

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from royalguard:

Replaced the fuse (BussmanAGC10) Lit up like a Christmas tree. Played two games and blew again. Suggestions?

Quoted from MarkG:

Get a set of circuit breakers to stand in for the fuse that's blowing.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Electrical_short_troubleshooting_Fuse_helper

#13 2 years ago

Replace fuse or use circuit breaker. Take all bulbs out of the Playfield. Replace bulbs one at a time and see which one blows circuit..That socket is likely bad or is touching something it shorts with...

#14 2 years ago

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Removed bulbs and replaced yet none seemed to blow the fuse. Fired machine back up and it has been problem free since (played a couple dozen games). Really appreciate all of the help and tips. Truly a wonderful forum with some great tips for the "mechanically challenged "

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-assistance-needed-on-1968-gottlieb-royal-guard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.