IMG_0541a.jpg
IMG_0540a.jpg
IMG_0539a.jpg
IMG_0538a.jpg
IMG_0536a.jpg
IMG_0535a.jpg
IMG_0534a.jpg
IMG_0531a.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Angyalpor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi!

I just got a new pin, an OXO.
Morning I will fix,and try it.
I don't know nothing about the machine, looks good, and well-handled.
The fuses are good, and their values are right.
Any idea, before I will fire up the machine?
Any suggestion about it?
This will be my first EM project, so I will post all my problems, experiences here with pictures...

#3 10 years ago

Hm, thanks!

As I see, this will be a nice project...

#4 10 years ago

Sooo, here it is:

total.JPGtotal.JPG pf.JPGpf.JPG pfrear.JPGpfrear.JPG cabinet.JPGcabinet.JPG cabfront.JPGcabfront.JPG cabrear.JPGcabrear.JPG

#5 10 years ago

More...

pfbottom.JPGpfbottom.JPG opened.JPGopened.JPG head.JPGhead.JPG

#6 10 years ago

And my first experiences:

- when I fire up the machine, it's just buzzing, quietly. I need to push the left flipper or the start button, then it will light like a Christmas tree. Is that normal?

- the game starts, switches are working, lights too, the whole machine sounds like an old style cash machine. But it hasn't got sounds. In the cabinet I found a paper, what tells to me, how to adjust the switch, what located on the bottom right of the cabinet. But nothing goes into it.

- a few coil is so loud, buzzing. It can be a problem?

- both flippers are not working. I believe, it must be some central problem, because the coils and solderings are looks good.

I'm happy for all suggestions, advices!

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Then ok, it must be a power-save machine, exactly does, what You say.

Hm, I try to found the chime box. Where it should be exactly? I try to found pictures from it on the net.
Here is two pictures, one from the fuses (I found only these four piece, check the continuity with DMM, all are looks good. And next to the fuse holder there is that switch box, what is unused at the moment. And next to it, on the side of the cabinet there is a paper about the settings.

fuses.JPGfuses.JPG instruction.JPGinstruction.JPG

#11 10 years ago

Oh, I think I found the PLACE of the chime box...
Two screws on the side of the cabinet, next to that paper, what I show.
Looks like, I need to buy one...

#12 10 years ago

Yep, that is missing.
So, Now I only need to focus for the non-working flippers.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks, now I see, that box is completely missing... Temporary the cash-machine sound stays.

And what can I do with the flippers? Looks like, the button works, because I can wake up the machine with it. Do You know any common problem, before I fire the flipper's coil manually wit a short wire, to check?

#16 10 years ago

Hm, thanks, I will read the page!

For the first sight, everything looks good, they move smoothly, if I move them manually...

#17 10 years ago

Hm, still no idea from me...
Should I check the continuity from the buttons to the coils cable-by-cable? Or try to fire the coils manually?

#18 10 years ago

Anybody idea for the non-working flippers?

#20 10 years ago

Hi!

I take out the fuses, check them, and put back. Then I check the continuity wit the DMM, and all are "beeep". I check it on the fuse holders, not on the fuses, of course.

Hm, jones plug from coin door? That's not clean for me, what is that...

#24 10 years ago

Hm, do you think the cables from the coin door? Mean, they soldered to the door, and the other side of the cables? There should I check the connectors?

#25 10 years ago

Guys, You are the best.

I follow your advices, check the socket and the connector, what comes from the coin door. I unplug, it, check carefully, and...I found a broken leg.
I solder it (temporary, I think, I will replace the whole socket), and hallelujah, my flippers are alive!

So, a big thank You for everybody!

Now, I'm puzzled a bit, because a few coil is so loud in the machine. For example, the two flipper coils. If I keep pushed them, they are buzzing so loud. Seems the EOS switch is OK...
And, the top middle " O " in the machine, if I shoot it, it lights, but buzzing, humming so loud, and with time, it becomes more louder... But, if I shoot the " X " next to it, it quiets, but the lamp still lights, as it needs.
This can be the coil's problem, or contact?
I don't plan to make a camp fire from the pin...

socket.jpgsocket.jpg before.jpgbefore.jpg repaired.jpgrepaired.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Oh, and one more...

The counter reels are working, BUT. If I reach 990, and got 20 points, 10 comes instead of 1010. Means, the thousand reel is not moving. But, at end of the ball, when I get 1000 bonus, then the reel moves, and I get the thousand. All four players does that.

Any idea?

#28 10 years ago

Hi!

I mean, the second reel is hot moving during gameplay. Only moving, when it counts the bonus (then give 1000 points).
For example, during game I've got 2900 points, then I shoot the bumper for 100 points, and then I see 2000 on the reels instead of 3000...

#31 10 years ago

It should be some "central" problem, because all four player does this...

And yes,maybe the EM section would be better, than the technical help...

#34 10 years ago

Hm, than I try to check the reels, and the relay...
I've got the schematics for the machine, but the EM world is totally new for me.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I'm a little late to this party so sorry if this has been addressed:
I bet the playfield switch for the "O" is getting stuck. Is this a rollover button on the playfield? Make sure it moves smoothly.

Thanks!
I will check the switch! It's a simple rollover.
When I first fire up the machine, then a few switches, solenoids are not working, and with time they come back to life... This pin rests a lot, so I know, I need to clean seriously for sure...

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

If you play a 2-player game, does it score correctly on the 1000 point reel for player two?

Hm, I not remember, I tried it or not...
With one player for sure it does this, after that I try the four player game, and I see this issue on each player's scores...

#40 10 years ago

Hm, that is the easiest. Tomorrow I will make a video from it!
And thanks for all!

#42 10 years ago

Hi!

Here is a small video from it.
I manually scores 500points for both players. As You can see, the 1000reel just moves at the end of ball. After that I touch the middle top "O" 's switch, You can hear the buzzing. After it, I touch the switch next to it, and the buzzing ends.
These strange sounds comes from the flipper coils, too...

And I realize another problem. I put credits to the game, try to start the game. If I push the start button, the game resets, and starts. But, from the ball 2. If I push the start again, then the one player game starts, but with ball 1, as normal. When I push the start at the third time, then the game adds the player 2, and go on.
Maybe there is some connection with these two issues...?

reelback.jpgreelback.jpg

#43 10 years ago

So, any idea, where I should find the problem?

#46 10 years ago

I check the backbox, I did not found loose wires...
Tomorrow I will clean the pinball, I hope, few problem will be solved with it...buzzing coils, for example...

#48 10 years ago

Right

#50 10 years ago

A big "Thanks!" for You!

#58 10 years ago

Hi!

First, thanks for the move of the thread!

I found funny issues, after I check the machine.
As I wrote last time, starting the game is difficult. For example I start a 3player game, wit 5balls each.
If I lit the extra ball switch, and shoot it, it remains lit. If the next player comes, it still lit. I believe, this is not the original rule...

Maybe this, and the game starting issue effects the reel-problem?

Everything is working, coils, kick-out holes, switches, slingshots... Only the scoring, and the rules are bad on the machine...

#64 10 years ago

Oh, thank You for all the answers!

Morning I will clean the pinball, all switches, and then we will see, what happens...
I will write here immediately after then.

#65 10 years ago

Mi!

My I ask, what is a good way to clean these long-rested EMs?
Morning I plan to clean it, please tell me, what is the best solution for it.
(vacuum cleaner carefully for sure, but after, for the switches, electronic parts? )

#68 10 years ago

These switches are not gold-plated, like on my '84 Bally? There the manual says, forbidden to use a file, because it can hurt the surface. Just can use a business card, or something...

#70 10 years ago

Thanks!

Hm, that will be a nice job, with a thousands of switches...

#73 10 years ago

Hm, Stepper units are mostly in the head? And the big piece under the playfield?

#81 10 years ago

Hi!

Oh, thanks, You will be my big help here!
Hm, interesting Your opinion about the design...funny, but when I clean the glass (it was extremely dirty), then I thinking on same things... The girls...all are them has luscious faces, with big breasts(especially the girl on the playfield. ).

Hm, where can I found the BI and EB relays? But, if I remember well, they are labelled?

#82 10 years ago

Hm, I just didn't found the Ball Index relax... :S
Where should I search it?

#84 10 years ago

First I study the pin (informations from the net, and check the pin carefully, try to understand, how and WHY works ).
At this weekend my family was here, so I haven't got much time for it. Tomorrow will be the DM concert here, in Budapest, so day after tomorrow I will start to do it seriously.

8 months later
#144 10 years ago

Hi!

I opened this thread before, but just now I can start to repair the machine.
Now, It's on the living room. First, a fast cleaning, because it's sooo dirty.
After all, it's working, with a few issues, I try to fix them soon.
The machine looks like originally arrive to Germany, but actually this machine bought from Holland. I think, this machine doesn't runs too much, what do You think? I attach a few pictures from it. The counter, the slingshot rubber (with an original U.S.A. text on it), the playfield... It worn a little, and as I see, it's original, nobody try to repair before.
First I plan to clean it totally, then repair it. New rubbers, posts, bulbs, flippers, playfield plastics. When it works 100%, then I try to make a repro backglass, and maybe repaint the cabinet, make the chromes shine.
Any suggestions?

And here are the pictures:
IMG_0524a.jpgIMG_0524a.jpg

IMG_0526a.jpgIMG_0526a.jpg

IMG_0527a.jpgIMG_0527a.jpg

IMG_0531a.jpgIMG_0531a.jpg

IMG_0540a.jpgIMG_0540a.jpg

IMG_0556a.jpgIMG_0556a.jpg

IMG_0557a.jpgIMG_0557a.jpg

IMG_0534a.jpgIMG_0534a.jpg IMG_0535a.jpgIMG_0535a.jpg IMG_0536a.jpgIMG_0536a.jpg IMG_0538a.jpgIMG_0538a.jpg IMG_0539a.jpgIMG_0539a.jpg IMG_0541a.jpgIMG_0541a.jpg IMG_0548a.jpgIMG_0548a.jpg
#145 10 years ago

Oh, and I forgot, my chime unit is missing... :S

#147 10 years ago

Thanks the informations!

The counter is on 04243, maybe it's not counting, morning I will check. Anybody has got a chime unit?

#149 10 years ago

So, I take out the main board to clean it properly, and the cabinet below it. Lot cleaner, then I thought, but I will wash it.

IMG_0598.JPGIMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPGIMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPGIMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPGIMG_0601.JPG

And yes, the counter is wrong, I play a few games, and it's still on 04203...

#150 10 years ago

Morning I will go to the hardware shop for a few things about the cleaning-project.

The questions:

- the switches can be cleaned like the other pins? Just put a name card between the gaps?
- on the manual I read: "Can turn display lights on by pressing left flipper button." It's OK. But, this? "Machine can still be shut off by tapping bottom of cabinet" ?!?
- I will disassemble the mechanical parts, like start button, cabinet door, bumpers, clean them like on the other pins.
- I plan to clean the board by high pressure air, and a fine brush. Any other idea?
- I attach a photo, what it that metal stick? It has got on both sides...

Because this is my first EM repair, so, any suggestions are welcome.

Million thanks.

IMG_0609.JPGIMG_0609.JPG

#152 10 years ago

Thanks for the answers.

Where should be that "lamp-off" switch...?

#154 10 years ago

Hm, my on-off switch is working perfectly, that is OK.
Now I check the board, there is a "Kick-off switch".
But there is no hole there, just need to kick the bottom of the cabinet to turn it off?

#156 10 years ago

Wow.

Sure I will never kick my machines at home (I not repair them to slowly kick them to pieces), but I try to fix them 100% original. If it has got that switch, then in need to work.
But thanks a lot, one more strange thing, what I know from the EM world.
Tomorrow the biiig cleaning will begins!

#159 10 years ago

Whoooa, thanks for the link!

Today I clean it, now, it hasn't got a bad smell, and the first success: After I put everything together, it still works!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Angyalpor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-an-em-oxo?tu=Angyalpor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.