IMG_0541a.jpg
IMG_0540a.jpg
IMG_0539a.jpg
IMG_0538a.jpg
IMG_0536a.jpg
IMG_0535a.jpg
IMG_0534a.jpg
IMG_0531a.jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Hi!

I just got a new pin, an OXO.
Morning I will fix,and try it.
I don't know nothing about the machine, looks good, and well-handled.
The fuses are good, and their values are right.
Any idea, before I will fire up the machine?
Any suggestion about it?
This will be my first EM project, so I will post all my problems, experiences here with pictures...

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Angyalpor:

This will be my first EM project,

Nice pin to start on Ems with.^
I would read this to get a better understanding on what and where to look for repair/servicing and to generally familiarize yourself with an em.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm <- This document is geared towards complete beginners. No experience is assumed, though basic electrical knowledge is helpful.

May want to post in the em hangout section in the future for more exposure to more em owners/tech help as more locate there in that section.

#3 10 years ago

Hm, thanks!

As I see, this will be a nice project...

#4 10 years ago

Sooo, here it is:

total.JPGtotal.JPG pf.JPGpf.JPG pfrear.JPGpfrear.JPG cabinet.JPGcabinet.JPG cabfront.JPGcabfront.JPG cabrear.JPGcabrear.JPG

#5 10 years ago

More...

pfbottom.JPGpfbottom.JPG opened.JPGopened.JPG head.JPGhead.JPG

#6 10 years ago

And my first experiences:

- when I fire up the machine, it's just buzzing, quietly. I need to push the left flipper or the start button, then it will light like a Christmas tree. Is that normal?

- the game starts, switches are working, lights too, the whole machine sounds like an old style cash machine. But it hasn't got sounds. In the cabinet I found a paper, what tells to me, how to adjust the switch, what located on the bottom right of the cabinet. But nothing goes into it.

- a few coil is so loud, buzzing. It can be a problem?

- both flippers are not working. I believe, it must be some central problem, because the coils and solderings are looks good.

I'm happy for all suggestions, advices!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Angyalpor:

I need to push the left flipper or the start button, then it will light like a Christmas tree. Is that normal?

I think this is normal. Some Williams EM's have a power save feature that shuts the lights off until a game is started or the left flipper is pushed.

Quoted from Angyalpor:

But it hasn't got sounds.

I'm not seeing the chime box in the photos. Is it removed? Looks like a rectangular box with three flat metal bars mounted across the top. Makes sound by coils underneath smacking the three bars.
(Edit: Just looked at the IPDB.org photos of OXO and your chime box assembly is missing. You will need to get one and re-install it.)

Quoted from Angyalpor:

a few coil is so loud, buzzing. It can be a problem?

Could be but hard to tell at this point.

Quoted from Angyalpor:

both flippers are not working.

Have you checked all the fuses with a meter? Checking by eye may not give correct results. If not, start there.

#8 10 years ago

Left flipper button does turn on the GI.

check the fuse or fuses under the playfield. There may be two. Pull them and check for continuity with a meter.

If the buzzing you hear is from the relays on the bottom board, the spring that connects to the latch piece is too tight. Check the section on coil buzzing on the pinrepair.com EM repair guide. That whole thing is a must read.

Oxo is a great pin, enjoy!

#9 10 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Then ok, it must be a power-save machine, exactly does, what You say.

Hm, I try to found the chime box. Where it should be exactly? I try to found pictures from it on the net.
Here is two pictures, one from the fuses (I found only these four piece, check the continuity with DMM, all are looks good. And next to the fuse holder there is that switch box, what is unused at the moment. And next to it, on the side of the cabinet there is a paper about the settings.

fuses.JPGfuses.JPG instruction.JPGinstruction.JPG

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Angyalpor:

Hm, I try to found the chime box. Where it should be exactly? I try to found pictures from it on the net.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1733&picno=11600

#11 10 years ago

Oh, I think I found the PLACE of the chime box...
Two screws on the side of the cabinet, next to that paper, what I show.
Looks like, I need to buy one...

#12 10 years ago

Yep, that is missing.
So, Now I only need to focus for the non-working flippers.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Angyalpor:

To screws on the side of the cabinet, next to that paper, what I show.
Looks like, I need to buy one...

More pics and info. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#chimes

#14 10 years ago

Thanks, now I see, that box is completely missing... Temporary the cash-machine sound stays.

And what can I do with the flippers? Looks like, the button works, because I can wake up the machine with it. Do You know any common problem, before I fire the flipper's coil manually wit a short wire, to check?

#15 10 years ago

File the Eos & flipper buttons removing corrosion for conductivity.

More info> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#flips

#16 10 years ago

Hm, thanks, I will read the page!

For the first sight, everything looks good, they move smoothly, if I move them manually...

#17 10 years ago

Hm, still no idea from me...
Should I check the continuity from the buttons to the coils cable-by-cable? Or try to fire the coils manually?

#18 10 years ago

Anybody idea for the non-working flippers?

#19 10 years ago

When you checked the fuses did you pull them out of holder to check? If not do so...best way to check them. Also check the fuse holders.

Not sure on that game, but if you have a jones plug going from coin door, check to make sure it is clean(male pins) and seated properly. Hopefully that will get you flippers. Good luck.

#20 10 years ago

Hi!

I take out the fuses, check them, and put back. Then I check the continuity wit the DMM, and all are "beeep". I check it on the fuse holders, not on the fuses, of course.

Hm, jones plug from coin door? That's not clean for me, what is that...

#21 10 years ago

the fuse holders on these williams are garbage ! I always replace the holders with a better type

#22 10 years ago

check the beep for just the fuses. sometimes they look good but are not and will still beep continuity in the fuse holder

jones plug from coin door is the wires that go from the door to the the inside of the cabinet. They can plug and unplug

-Jeff

#23 10 years ago

Yes, just as -Jeff(way2wyrd) wrote^^^

#24 10 years ago

Hm, do you think the cables from the coin door? Mean, they soldered to the door, and the other side of the cables? There should I check the connectors?

#25 10 years ago

Guys, You are the best.

I follow your advices, check the socket and the connector, what comes from the coin door. I unplug, it, check carefully, and...I found a broken leg.
I solder it (temporary, I think, I will replace the whole socket), and hallelujah, my flippers are alive!

So, a big thank You for everybody!

Now, I'm puzzled a bit, because a few coil is so loud in the machine. For example, the two flipper coils. If I keep pushed them, they are buzzing so loud. Seems the EOS switch is OK...
And, the top middle " O " in the machine, if I shoot it, it lights, but buzzing, humming so loud, and with time, it becomes more louder... But, if I shoot the " X " next to it, it quiets, but the lamp still lights, as it needs.
This can be the coil's problem, or contact?
I don't plan to make a camp fire from the pin...

socket.jpgsocket.jpg before.jpgbefore.jpg repaired.jpgrepaired.jpg

#26 10 years ago

Oh, and one more...

The counter reels are working, BUT. If I reach 990, and got 20 points, 10 comes instead of 1010. Means, the thousand reel is not moving. But, at end of the ball, when I get 1000 bonus, then the reel moves, and I get the thousand. All four players does that.

Any idea?

#27 10 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up and thanks. Glad you got it working.

Not so familiar w/Williams but some of my 2 cents that might help.

Flipper buzz...could be the coil stops are worn....or plunger/link/assembly etc. You wrote you checked EOS but make sure it's clean and gapped correctly.

For the 'O' buzz...I would check that relay and make sure contacts clean and switch(s)adjusted properly. Sometimes the armature(metal plate on 'top') can be a bit out of place on the relay so check that too. And yes...don't burn it up...yet. ; )

Not sure on the most recent problem. Are you saying all 4 players scores don't 'add' properly, or all 4 players DO score the bonus.?

Hopefully others will chime in. Good luck.

If not familiar w/the pin repair sites here are 2 great ones...and thanks to all of those who contributed to make them possible.

www.pinrepair.com

www.pinwiki.com

#28 10 years ago

Hi!

I mean, the second reel is hot moving during gameplay. Only moving, when it counts the bonus (then give 1000 points).
For example, during game I've got 2900 points, then I shoot the bumper for 100 points, and then I see 2000 on the reels instead of 3000...

#29 10 years ago

It sound like the carry over contacts on the 100's reel is not gapped correctly.

#30 10 years ago

Don't see this topic in the EM section, if moved there, more EM folks would see it. (moderator?)

#31 10 years ago

It should be some "central" problem, because all four player does this...

And yes,maybe the EM section would be better, than the technical help...

#32 10 years ago

I would have agreed with Garrett about the gabbing of the contacts on the 100's reel not being gapped correctly. However if it's a central problem there is probably a relay that is activated by this 100's reel which fires the 1000's relay whichever player is active. I don't have this game or schematics, but I'd look for a relay being activated which would activate the 1000's reel and then look for a dirty/mis-adjusted switch on that stack.

#33 10 years ago

I think Garrett is right on the 100 reel switches.

For better clarity for all of us, lets all call the reels by the digit position they represent. Each set of score reels has one stationary "0" on the right. Then four more from right to left. "10's" "100's" "1,000's" and "10,000's"

There are three pairs of switches on each score reel that tell the game what position the reel is in. The "9" position switch is probably out of adjustment on the "100's" reel. This is why it does not tell the "1,000's" reel to add one when the "100's" reel rolls from 9 to 0.

Steve Fury has created a great animation to show how this works and I can never find it when I need it. Hopefully he will chime in here soon.

I'm a little late to this party so sorry if this has been addressed:
I bet the playfield switch for the "O" is getting stuck. Is this a rollover button on the playfield? Make sure it moves smoothly.

#34 10 years ago

Hm, than I try to check the reels, and the relay...
I've got the schematics for the machine, but the EM world is totally new for me.

#35 10 years ago

If you play a 2-player game, does it score correctly on the 1000 point reel for player two?

If so, look closely at the small switches on player two 100 point reel. Operate the reel manually and watch the switches closely to see how they change state at different reel positions. There are three positions. One position when the number 9 is displayed, One position when the number 0 is displayed and one position when numbers 1-8 are displayed.

Now compare this to the 100 point reel for player one and I bet you will see a difference. Also, look for loose wires while you are there. If you do not see a difference in how the switches change state and there are no broken wires, then carefully clean the switch contacts on "player one" 100 point reel.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I'm a little late to this party so sorry if this has been addressed:
I bet the playfield switch for the "O" is getting stuck. Is this a rollover button on the playfield? Make sure it moves smoothly.

Thanks!
I will check the switch! It's a simple rollover.
When I first fire up the machine, then a few switches, solenoids are not working, and with time they come back to life... This pin rests a lot, so I know, I need to clean seriously for sure...

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

If you play a 2-player game, does it score correctly on the 1000 point reel for player two?

Hm, I not remember, I tried it or not...
With one player for sure it does this, after that I try the four player game, and I see this issue on each player's scores...

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Angyalpor:

Hm, I not remember, I tried it or not...
With one player for sure it does this, after that I try the four player game, and I see this issue on each player's scores...

This is new information. Check your player stepper unit for broken wires.

#39 10 years ago

Yeah, that kinda threw me for a loop Pafasa. Angyalpor aluded to this right after my post. I've never had a Williams game and wasn't sure how the scoring logic was routed. But all the manufacturers are similar in design. Unless there is a really odd coincidence that someone misadjusted all four 100's rollover switches. Don't expect that's the issue but you never know.

What else would cause player 1-4 to have the same carry over problem on the just the 1K reel?

It's an interesting problem to say the least.

Angyalpor, can you take a video of what the games is doing?

#40 10 years ago

Hm, that is the easiest. Tomorrow I will make a video from it!
And thanks for all!

#41 10 years ago

For the 1000 point reel not incrementing when the 100 point reel rolls past 9 to 0, Check for loose wires and switch adjustments at the 100 point relay, the 1000 point relay and the player unit.

Schematics are on IPDB.org

u2sean, sorry I missed your post about the score issue. I also missed OP's post about it happening on all four players.

#42 10 years ago

Hi!

Here is a small video from it.
I manually scores 500points for both players. As You can see, the 1000reel just moves at the end of ball. After that I touch the middle top "O" 's switch, You can hear the buzzing. After it, I touch the switch next to it, and the buzzing ends.
These strange sounds comes from the flipper coils, too...

And I realize another problem. I put credits to the game, try to start the game. If I push the start button, the game resets, and starts. But, from the ball 2. If I push the start again, then the one player game starts, but with ball 1, as normal. When I push the start at the third time, then the game adds the player 2, and go on.
Maybe there is some connection with these two issues...?

reelback.jpgreelback.jpg

#43 10 years ago

So, any idea, where I should find the problem?

#44 10 years ago

Did you find any loose wires on those three units I mentioned?

#45 10 years ago

There are some people here on the forum that would be great help with this, but the thread is in the wrong sub-forum. These guys are just not seeing this. If it were in the EM Hangout, I know of a couple guys who can read the schematics very well. I feel like I am guessing at anything beyond what I have already recommended.

Contact a moderator and ask them to move the thread.

#46 10 years ago

I check the backbox, I did not found loose wires...
Tomorrow I will clean the pinball, I hope, few problem will be solved with it...buzzing coils, for example...

#47 10 years ago

No, Not "Remove", "move"

#48 10 years ago

Right

#49 10 years ago

I have contacted a couple others too about this thread. Lets get this game working!

#50 10 years ago

A big "Thanks!" for You!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-an-em-oxo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.