(Topic ID: 296920)

Repair advice for B/W eddy boards? Specifically TOM.

By harryhoudini

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

generic_proximity_sensor.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Seems like these are fairly unobtanium. The part listing at pinball life confuses me (https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-eddy-sensor-board-assembly.html) as the part number specificity doesn't match up with the TOM manual so I'm not sure if that is a replacement part for what is in my game and then it's only for the outlanes. At $38 bucks a pop I thought I'd check into any information on repairing. Seems like the pinbits auto board isn't usually in stock, although I emailed.

The left outlane board on my is flaky and hard to get adjusted and then isn't capable of sensing the ball through the playfield (but will sense it when pulled out of the playfield and held very close).

I found a few threads on repair, specifically on replacing the TDA0161DP chip which I'm capable of but unsure if any of the other components need to be replaced. I'd guess the pot probably needs to be replaced as well. Do I do this on working boards as well (assuming they will eventually need it)?

Any input or advice?

#5 2 years ago

Thanks, I'll see if I can source all of those parts somewhere.

I am waiting to hear back from pinbits on the auto-eddy boards. I would definitely rather go that route.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Make sure you have the correct board. The same board (electrically) has different components when used for "area" (trunk) or "focused" (outlane). It is likely that the correct board is in place but it does not hurt to verify.
Repairing your board is going to be cheaper than replacing it. It may require a little bit of leg work to find components, patience waiting for the components and appropriate equipment to perform the repair.
If you are unable to locate an automatically configuring board I have an untested reproduction that I made for a person who has been having trouble with the Star Trek TNG outlane that should work. If anything you could try it if you want.
Point #2 in post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/10#post-6308140 shows the board.

Thanks Victor

I am going to attempt to repair. I'll pull one and grab the chip and pot and reflow the connectors as those sound like the common issues. I'll let you know if I don't get any success there.

#11 2 years ago

Ah awesome, thanks! I found the chips on ebay (seemed like those were the hardest to come by) so I grabbed a few of those. I did not switch boards, I'll do that to confirm. I hate to rebuild the whole thing if most of the components are ok so I guess I'll start with the chip and go from there. Easy enough to test. Maybe I'll grab some pots (they have some on ebay) too.

1 month later
#12 2 years ago

Replaced the chip, LED still on 100%. Checked all solder points, nothing looks bad. Tested it on the other side of the game, same result. Waiting on the pot to be delivered so I can replace that next. I socketed the chip as well and tested a different one so pretty sure it isn't the chip.

#14 2 years ago

Cool, thanks. I'll definitely hit Victor up if it ends up that I replace them.

I have the ones from Tangles in AUS in my cart (auto adjustment ones) as well, but was hoping I might be able to repair this one, even just for the fun of it. Plus I'd order 3 from Tangles if I needed just one so not so cheap and quick. It would have been much more fun but I guess I lost the smaller tip for my Hakko FR301 so it was a lot of desoldering braid to get it clean enough to solder in the socket. I probably pulled out a through hole as well but I don't think it was needed as the traces are single sided and this one was on the bottom, I think. Tip is on order along with some more drill bits as I broke the 1.3mm one, doh.

#18 2 years ago

Well, not the chip and not the pot. Almost seems like at this point I should just replace all the capacitors and diodes. I was going to order 3 of the Tangles boards and call it a day but now they are out of stock.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Board is ready to be sent tomorrow.
[quoted image]

Many thanks!! Still going to mess around with this bad one. I'm on a mission!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-advice-for-b-w-eddy-boards-specifically-tom?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.