(Topic ID: 246290)

Repainting cabinet with automotive paint

By Technomancer20

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I am working with a friend to try and restore an Earthshaker machine of his and had a question about using automotive paint for the cabinet. Do you need to use a clear coat after using a paint like this: Sherwin-Williams ATX Basecoat 135 Intermix. This paint gets mixed with a reducer before going into the paint gun. We are going to try to blend the new paint into the existing paint as what needs repainting is the rear of the cabinet, the part where the backbox sits, and just a little bit below the backbox where the hinges may have rubbed after one got bent.

Also, if it does need a clear coat afterwards, it doesn't seems like the Earthshaker machine is all that shiny, is there a specific kind of clear coat needed to get a not so shiny finish on the cabinet?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Technomancer20:

I am working with a friend to try and restore an Earthshaker machine of his and had a question about using automotive paint for the cabinet. Do you need to use a clear coat after using a paint like this: Sherwin-Williams ATX Basecoat 135 Intermix. This paint gets mixed with a reducer before going into the paint gun. We are going to try to blend the new paint into the existing paint as what needs repainting is the rear of the cabinet, the part where the backbox sits, and just a little bit below the backbox where the hinges may have rubbed after one got bent.
Also, if it does need a clear coat afterwards, it doesn't seems like the Earthshaker machine is all that shiny, is there a specific kind of clear coat needed to get a not so shiny finish on the cabinet?

If you're trying to save the artwork then have him touch it up and call it a day. However, if your buddy is an auto body shop guy, he could sand that cabinet down in a heartbeat, shoot it with paint, apply new decals and then have your buddy shoot clear over that. Mirco doesnt make radcals for this machine but the gloss looks super sharp! Best way to emulate that is clear gloss on top

#3 4 years ago

Sorry duplicate post

#4 4 years ago

We currently have the damaged areas stripped and primed. We got some color matched auto paint from Sherwin-Williams to paint it with but we were holding off as a friend of mine who used to do car painting mention that primers with a reducers usually need a clear coat afterwards. I know clear coats can be pretty shiny but there was mention of using a retarder (I assume that is the right term) to make the clear more of a matte finish which is what i assume the cabinet has instead of a high gloss finish like most clears offer. If anyone has more details on the topic, that would be great.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Technomancer20:

We currently have the damaged areas stripped and primed. We got some color matched auto paint from Sherwin-Williams to paint it with but we were holding off as a friend of mine who used to do car painting mention that primers with a reducers usually need a clear coat afterwards. I know clear coats can be pretty shiny but there was mention of using a retarder (I assume that is the right term) to make the clear more of a matte finish which is what i assume the cabinet has instead of a high gloss finish like most clears offer. If anyone has more details on the topic, that would be great.

Most paint systems have a matte clear . Something you put in the clear to make it a matte finish or a separate product. I don’t know about sherwin Williams but with some paint systems you can put a small amount of hardener in the base and it will have a matte finish .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repainting-cabinet-with-automotive-paint?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.