leftslingshot (resized).png
received_2687452161551285 (resized).jpeg
6452212B-6F86-4781-B08B-FB335C1B3A75 (resized).jpeg
100_7062 (2) (resized).JPG
20211223_093052 (resized).jpg
20211027_194826 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hey everyone,

I tried my hand at air brushing certain sections of my Williams Cyclone playfield using frisket film after reading Vid's guide, etc. (see before and after pictures below). To my surprise, I think I did a decent job for a first timer as I am not an artist at all...I can barely draw a stick figure if you know what I mean. No matter how careful I was cutting the frisket film near the black lines with a ruler prior to air brushing, after removing the frisket film some of the black lines need some work. They don't look bad from afar, but close up I don't like how they look. Some of them have a little bit of overspray, etc.

I tried working on some of those black lines this morning with a medium point acrylic black paint pen. I tried using a ruler to keep my lines straight but the tip was too wide and thus made a mess. I am going to order some fine point acrylic paint pens figuring that might be a little better, but without the steady hands of a skilled artist I fear I will only get it to look so so, especially on the black circles. I've thought of putting frisket film down and cutting out the black lines, but that would be a job and yet still stand the risk of making more of a mess.

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, method on how to redraw those black lines and circles so they look decent?

Thank you for your help.

20211027_194826 (resized).jpg20211027_194826 (resized).jpg20211223_093052 (resized).jpg20211223_093052 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Some close up photos would be helpful. How smooth is that playfield? Texture might be the issue. Unless the surface is truly smooth and flat, frisket (or tape, or….) is going to bleed.

#3 2 years ago

I used these artist pens with great results.

100_7062 (2) (resized).JPG100_7062 (2) (resized).JPG
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Some close up photos would be helpful. How smooth is that playfield? Texture might be the issue. Unless the surface is truly smooth and flat, frisket (or tape, or….) is going to bleed.

I had to clean the living heck out of it after I took the mylar off to get all the glue off, so the playfield is pretty smooth. I will try to take some closeup pictures later and repost. Thank you.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

I used these artist pens with great results.
[quoted image]

Ok, I found those pens on Amazon. Are they acrylic? It does not say on Amazon. I am going to clearcoat the playfield after I am done painting so they need to be acrylic. Thank you.

#6 2 years ago

I tried using a circle template once in pursuit of a perfect circle lol. However, just like freehand if the pf isnt smooth you will get ink/paint bleeding under it.

6452212B-6F86-4781-B08B-FB335C1B3A75 (resized).jpeg6452212B-6F86-4781-B08B-FB335C1B3A75 (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

Ok, I found those pens on Amazon. Are they acrylic? It does not say on Amazon. I am going to clearcoat the playfield after I am done painting so they need to be acrylic. Thank you.

The only thing it says on the package is "India Ink". I cleared with varathane water polyurethane with no problem.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

The only thing it says on the package is "India Ink". I cleared with varathane water polyurethane with no problem.

I would be skeptical- Purchased some fine line pens with "Japanese Ink" which drew beautifully... and instantly melted away when hit with automotive clear.

Days of work gone.

#9 2 years ago

I had to clean the living heck out of it after I took the mylar off to get all the glue off, so the playfield is pretty smooth. I will try to take some closeup pictures later and repost. Thank you.

If you haven’t shot a lockdown coat of clear and sanded it smooth, the playfield might be too rough. Smooth = smooth like glass (or barely frosted glass in the case of lightly sanded fresh clear). Could also be that you’re not applying enough pressure to the edges of your stencils?

For circles and other inserts, I find nothing beats a vinyl cutter (like a Cameo) for cutting perfect keyline stencils.

#10 2 years ago

For Key Limes I like liner brushes from Michaels. They wont be in the cheap brush section there, but in the actual painting section, so they're easy to miss.
Plenty of diff'rent sizes to fit the many widths of lines

https://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-roma-tight-spot-brush/M10213656.html?dwvar_M10213656_size=0

#11 2 years ago

Decals might be worth considering, I have seen sets for other machines, once applied they have to be sealed before applying clear (Testors comes to mind).
Alternatively, If you use paint or inks that work for you but dissolve with clear try sealing it first, a bit of experimentation required.
I have used the decals with success on some inserts on a TZ I owned a long time ago, I just can't remember the products I used sorry.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I tried using a circle template once in pursuit of a perfect circle lol. However, just like freehand if the pf isnt smooth you will get ink/paint bleeding under it.
[quoted image]

I have that same circle stencil. It works to a certain degree...

1 week later
#13 2 years ago

I re-drew these black lines with a black "posca" acrylic paint pen. Then applied two component clearcoat. No problems.

received_2687452161551285 (resized).jpegreceived_2687452161551285 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I re-drew these black lines with a black "posca" acrylic paint pen. Then applied two component clearcoat. No problems.
[quoted image]

Where did you purchase your posca acrylic paint pen and what thickness was it?
Thank you.

#15 2 years ago

Sorry for the long delay on this. Here are some pictures of some of the black lines that I need to touch up. Most of these will be under plastics of course with bulbs around them, so people very likely won't notice, but I am just anal.

I am not very steady when using a small paint brush. And painting black lines next to white paint could make a mess, even if I can wipe it off with paper towel and water. For straight lines I was thinking I could put down frisket and using a metal ruler cut out the lines and paint them with a small brush, but I am not sure what to do with circles to get them nice.

Thanks for your suggestions.

leftslingshot (resized).pngleftslingshot (resized).pngspookhouse (resized).pngspookhouse (resized).png
#16 2 years ago

Is that a Comet you’re working on? If so, I’ve got a full set of Comet playfield cut files I made for my Cameo vinyl cutter a few years ago when I repainted much of my playfield. You’re welcome to them if they’d be helpful.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Is that a Comet you’re working on? If so, I’ve got a full set of Comet playfield cut files I made for my Cameo vinyl cutter a few years ago when I repainted much of my playfield. You’re welcome to them if they’d be helpful.

Thank you pinheadpierre, but that is Cyclone I am working on.

#18 2 years ago

Thank you pinheadpierre, but that is Cyclone I am working on.

Ah - the trio look very similar in closeups.

#19 2 years ago

Where did you purchase your posca acrylic paint pen and what thickness was it?
Thank you.

I used a .7 mm posca. Anywhere that sells artist supplies should have them.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I used a .7 mm posca. Anywhere that sells artist supplies should have them.

There are several .7mm tip posca markers and they appear to have different style tips.

Do you use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Posca-Extra-Marker-Black-PC1M-24/dp/B001B2OKIE/ref=sr_1_4

or a calibre tip one:
https://www.amazon.com/PC-1MR-Colour-Calibre-Surface-Plastic/dp/B00MWSVFDY/ref=sr_1_1

or something different?

Thank you.

#21 2 years ago

There are several .7mm tip posca markers and they appear to have different style tips.
Do you use this one:
amazon.com link »
or a calibre tip one:
amazon.com link »
or something different?
Thank you.

I think I have one of each. One for trace the lines and a fatter one for filling in

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repainting-black-lines-on-the-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.