Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by REMPins
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00291.JPG
    DSC00293.JPG
    DSC00295.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    328641.jpg
    _jcr_content.jpg
    Spray Gun.jpg
    IMG_7919.JPG
    IMG_7918.JPG
    DSC01911.JPG
    image-385.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm thinking of getting an HVLP sprayer to repaint a cabinet, what SPECS and cup size should I look for ??? What kind of paint should be used ???

#2 9 years ago

I painted one with a touch up sprayer. You can drop the big coin and do automotive paints, or rock the Rustoleum 7777

#3 9 years ago

I do not think you need to spend too much on the sprayer-why not a cheapie from Harbor Freight. I favour automotive acrylic lacquer because it gives a great durable finish and you can get a good colour match from the local auto paint shop or self mix the colour required. I have also found automotive lacquer far easier to work with in terms of the end result than water based acrylics for cab touch ups.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I painted one with a touch up sprayer. You can drop the big coin and do automotive paints, or rock the Rustoleum 7777

LOL. The 7777 Satin black is the WPC magic formula

#5 9 years ago

Don't be afraid to use latex paint. Get a color wheel from porter or sherwin williams and give a try. So much easier to use, and adjust. I build and finish cabinetry for a living. I did a Centaur cabinet recently with latex, and cleared with lacquer. Turned out beautiful.
    Yes u can use $25 hvlp gun from harbor freight. Make sure u filter paint into gun and clean gun each time. 35 psi is perfect. image-385.jpgimage-385.jpg

#6 9 years ago

What cabinet are you trying to repaint? I did my Gorgar and used Krylon rattle cans. The result was great. Of course you only have basic colors to choose from.

DSC01911.JPGDSC01911.JPG
    #7 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I do not think you need to spend too much on the sprayer-why not a cheapie from Harbor Freight. I favour automotive acrylic lacquer because it gives a great durable finish and you can get a good colour match from the local auto paint shop or self mix the colour required. I have also found automotive lacquer far easier to work with in terms of the end result than water based acrylics for cab touch ups.

Where did you get the automotive paints needed ??

#8 9 years ago

I just use the black automotive lacquer stuff at the auto stores. It's on the shelf at a lot of auto parts stores.

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/

#9 9 years ago

Also no need for primer or clear with the above. If you use hvlp I guarantee you'll never bother with a rattle can again.

#10 9 years ago

I've done rattle and hvlp. turbo is 100% right.

#11 9 years ago

I've read quite a few blogs and most popular seam to be hvlp with lacquer, if not lacquer then enamel & acrylic but to stay away from latex. To clear coat is a personal choice.
    Never used spray (Rattle) can to paint a cabinet, it's been about 12-years since I did a cabinet and then I used a paint brush, it actually turned out great, http://www.rempinball.com/Jolly_Roger.htm, but up close and touching it you could see the finish wasn't completely smooth, because of the stencil I'll be creating painting by brush is not an option so I'll give hvly a try since I can get one pretty cheap and I'll check my local auto or paint store for the lacquer paint.
    Since I couldn't find any photos of the original stencil I'll be using a design I saw on the IPDB http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=big+league&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#261, with their help I was able to contact the owner of the game last year who was kind enough to sketch out the stencil.
    I have other projects going and are doing each one as time allows so if you are following this post I will be following up as I progress.

#12 9 years ago

Latex can be used. Some guns will asked to dilute it with varsol or equivalent by 25%.

#13 9 years ago

The stencils I received are on very thin paper, to preserve it I went to Kinko's to have copy's made, putting through the elongated feeder-copier would have damaged the stencil so I had to scan section by section on a flat-bed scanner, the benefit of the thin paper is that I was able to scan a mirror image by just flipping the paper over.

IMG_7918.JPGIMG_7918.JPG IMG_7919.JPGIMG_7919.JPG
    #14 9 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Also no need for primer or clear with the above. If you use hvlp I guarantee you'll never bother with a rattle can again.

The results are THAT much better? I literally just got an air compressor and was thinking of getting a HVLP gun since they cost next to nothing... well, in comparison to everything else I've purchased that is.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from boris_37:

The results are THAT much better?

yes.

#16 9 years ago

I second that. I will never go back to rattle cans. HVLP is the way to go. I bought a cheapie touch up for the stenciling and was very pleased. Even if you use the cheapie gun once it's worth it.

i use a larger siphon gun for the base coat. I also use the same siphon gun for webbing when needed.

#17 9 years ago

I used latex paint when I did my Whirlwind and although I'm happy with the amount of gloss when I was done, it's not very durable. No one sells oil-based paints anymore.

So automotive acrylics seem to be the way to go?

#18 9 years ago

Rustoleum 7777 is legit

#19 9 years ago

I bought one of these a few years back.

http://www.rockler.com/hvlp-spray-system?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CPro97ixoMMCFdcUgQodDRcA9A

I've used it on a non-pinball related projects as well as 4 cabinet repaints so far. I don't think it's designed for 2 part automotive clear but I've used it with both oil and latex primer, color and Minwax urethane. I'm really happy with the way it works.

As far as which paint to use? You're going to get a lot of opinions on this. I personally like the way oil based paint flows. However at the paint store, I was told there are stricter regulations on oil based paint so you have less color options than with latex paint. Well in NJ anyway. So which paint you use may depend on what color you are painting. On my Paragon cabinet, I used latex because they couldn't match the yellow correctly in oil. On my Space Invaders cabinet I used oil as red and black are common and the grey is close to that of a primer.

Rattle cans are fine for small jobs but an HVLP gun will give you much better control and finish quality, not to mention color options.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I just use the black automotive lacquer stuff at the auto stores. It's on the shelf at a lot of auto parts stores.
    https://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/

Thanks for this link.

How does this stuff mix?
    What's the typical cost/qt?

It also says it "must be clearcoated" and lists that as a separate step, but your post seems to state otherwise?

#21 9 years ago

The colors used on the cabinets i am familiar are not simple reds or blues that u will find in a rattle can.
    Latex paints are easy to adjust, and spray very well when thinned a bit. You can decide what gloss you want on finish when you choose the clear lacquer (which u can find in an aerosol can if you want). I use Mohawk brand.

#22 9 years ago

you can get huge variety of colors in rattle can.. there's a decent number of companies that make paint for graffiti artists, as well as different nozzles etc. a cheap hvlp gun still trumps it.

#23 9 years ago

Eday has these HVLP gravity feed sprayers all day long! I paid 9.99 for mine and shipping was free. It's made by White Tools, has a Bulldog on the package. Be ready to move when you start spraying, the high volume is no joke!

I mix my paint to be as thick as milk, it works good.

#24 9 years ago

A friend found a brand new Sunco spray gun in his closet he'd forgotten about and just gave me.
    Now to get the paint, I'm thing a white paint & primer mix for the base coat and since the actual red and green are undefined I'll take what ever they have on the shelf.
    Now about the type of paint...... acrylic/enamel or auto lacquer ??? .... hmm

Spray Gun.jpgSpray Gun.jpg
    #25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Thanks for this link.
    How does this stuff mix?
    What's the typical cost/qt?
    It also says it "must be clearcoated" and lists that as a separate step, but your post seems to state otherwise?

I have not mixed this stuff and have only used the jet black for cabinets when doing decal applications.

The cost is about $20-25/qt. depending if you buy online or in a store.

Yes for applying decals and normal black painting of a cabinet/head, no clear looks great and is durable direct to wood. If I were doing a stencil cab I would considering doing clear coat after.

The statement on the website saying "must be clearcoated" is in regards to automotive applications to protect the paint from outside (roads/weather) environment.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from REMPins:

Where did you get the automotive paints needed ??

In Australia (and I assume the US) we have specialty auto paint outlets. I use an outlet called VG Auto Paints & Tools

http://www.vgautopaints.com.au/ (lots of good tips on site)

and where an old timer does all the colour matching and mixing. I normally take in the cabinet head and he matches the colours exactly. Also more recently I have started mixing the acrylic lacquer for cabinet touch ups and am amazed at results. I will not be going back to using water based acrylics.

1 month later
    #27 9 years ago

i used benjamin moore's "acrylic blended latex" base for my cab repaint and it turned out great. the local hardware store tinted it for me and i think i used a semi gloss. i ran it thru my airless sprayer that i use for home projects. i didn't thin it but i did add some floetrol to it but that's not necessary. a great thing about water base paints is cleanup with water-no solvents to have to buy, store, and deal with.
    at the time i didn't have a compressor nor an HVLP sprayer and i was considering getting an HVLP setup but that wouldn't work for other painting projects hence the airless sprayer.
    _jcr_content.jpg_jcr_content.jpg
    328641.jpg328641.jpg

#28 9 years ago

I tried using Latex paint for a cabinet I did this past summer. My fairly cheap HVLP gun required some thinning to get it to spray. The base white went on okay after much fiddling and spraying multiple thin coats. When I started using the stencils the results were terrible, I had bleed under the stencils no matter what I did. In the end I switched to rattle cans (basically automotive lacquer) and it worked great with the same stencils. So the viscosity of the paint matters a lot.

For reference, I live in Canada and my favourite automotive paint supplier can no longer sell lacquer or enamel car paints. I have to get the urethane based dangerous paints now or nothing. They used to mix custom colours for me and put it in a spray can. But for some reason hardware store spray cans are exactly what I want but I have to use the colours they sell.

#29 9 years ago

I've used rattle can for most of what I've done with good results. You just gotta clear it so it doesn't peel off.

#30 9 years ago

hi all-if you want factory like results its best to use lacquer,thats what most older machines had on the cabinets.much less time was taken than most people think when they did this.brass stencils used,not much care for over-spray.you can in fact do a fantastic job with spray cans..don't mix brands unless you have to.i made paint color samples by spraying on thin piece of tin masked off so I can match to cabinet color..look close at your cabinet you will see most manufacturers did not put on primer coat.i heavily suggest this is done to seal old paint and new paint needs something to bite into..i was doing this type of thing long before I paint pinball machines.flames on cars..hot nut machines,goofy stuff to learn to paint..i posted just a few photos to show you you can paint cabinets.rifle arcades,or anything else if you take the time to investigate and prepare what paint,color to use...p.s. theses stencils you see on my monster gun were cut out from cereal boxes,perfect thickness.dont be afraid to try and remember this was not painted first time with the time and care you will take.good luckDSC00299.JPGDSC00299.JPGDSC00295.JPGDSC00295.JPGDSC00293.JPGDSC00293.JPGDSC00291.JPGDSC00291.JPG

#31 9 years ago

Interesting topic.

I use auto paint premixed and have it put in a rattle can. I don't follow the remarks that a HVLP sprayer is much better. For quality and ease how can it be anything but the same?

However, I will have to agree it will be less cost after the investment in equipment and that is an important consideration. I must reconsider this cost trade off with 4 games needing cabinet paints this year. If you have one game a year to cabinet paint the cans are better way cost wise.

Steve J.

9 months later
    #32 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I have it put in a rattle can

Who does this ???

#33 8 years ago

www.autopaint-touchup.com phone 800-660-7778...

#34 8 years ago

Do It Best Hardware sells a product for putting paint in the plastic equivalent of a rattle can.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Do It Best Hardware sells a product for putting paint in the plastic equivalent of a rattle can.

Do you have a link to THAT product ??

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from REMPins:

Who does this ???

I match the color with a Pantone swatch booklet. And take to a auto paint shop locally called AJ Foyt. They will mix perfectly put in a cans.

Since I had a few games to paint I have bought off craigslist a larger compressor and spray with a HVLP set up now.

2 weeks later
    #38 8 years ago

Can you spray water based semi gloss enamel over oil based semi gloss enamel or is it the other way around ??

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repaint-a-cabinet-with-hvlp-sprayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.