Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DocFinlay
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball Rental Contract 2.pdf (PDF preview)
    90145940_10158254408321926_4051858824057847808_n (resized).jpg
    DE73BFF8-C1D7-42FD-85D0-EBFC2C89D942.jpeg
    89722048_495326617828905_5828234001780834304_o (resized).jpg
    IMG_0166.PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RonSS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 4 years ago

I get the traditional costs for moving, set up, maintenance. I also understand that these machines are making NOTHING at the moment. What hasn't been mentioned is that in the past if you owned/rented a game MANY people would get the chance to flip it; not just family.

IMHO, I would think $150/mo would be a fair amount (rented to a Pinsider that probably won't mess your game up).

Of course, I would assume 2 month minimum, and travel within say 50 miles.

Either way, this is a good opportunity to break into the home vending market if your traditional locations are closed indefinitely.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

Renting a game for 150$ a month and you're saying MANY people beside family can flip it.
    If the game gets for example 500 plays, this means 350 games are not being paid if you normally have it set at 1$ game/play.
    So the game will wear out faster for earning less money....
    And 500 plays when being locked up for Corona is only around 16 games a day which is not a lot of play though.
    I'm an operator but at this rate I would rather have my game earning nothing instead of peanuts since it's not worth the trouble to move, wear out, potential damage to the game etc.
    Not to be negative but as a business it's difficult to turn a profit when renting pinball games.
    We've stopped renting less than 3 games at a time on the side of our operator business since it was not worth the time.

I was implying that NOT as many people would be playing it, but admittedly, I phrased my original post poorly. My thoughts were as you mentioned. Previously there would have been 500 games a month, now, likely 250. Or whatever numbers apply.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Yes. But the math is different for everyone and it depends how much you need the money. There is a cost/benefit analysis for every bit of paid work, for every person. Their current financial situation and employment status matters, but you can't just universally state that anything is better than nothing. There are plenty of people who lost their jobs recently, but will all of them shovel horse poop for minimum wage? Of course not.
    The other math involved is that if someone is thinking about renting out, say, a Metallica for $150 a month (plus free moving, installation, repair, and upkeep)...they could also sell the machine for $4k and that would earn more money than 26 months of renting out that machine.

This is up to four hours of driving, 3-4 hours of physically taxing setup and take down, and up to 3 hours of extra work each time something goes wrong with the game (which hopefully it won't!). If $300 sounds like a good price for that amount of work - you should absolutely offer this service to people! You'll havapplyy of takers.
    (I think you'll earn between $20-$50 an hour for your time on a 2 month minimum rental, before expenses, and each rental represents a $4,000 pinball machine).
    For people who have games sitting idle on location right now, there is another factor: timing. Bars are closed here for at least 30 days. If half of my machines have been rented out and the bars re-open, then what? Rent a box truck and drive all over the state coordinating game pickups and collecting $150 from each person?
    The maximum price at which most people would pay to rent a game for their home and minimum price at which most people would be willing to do what it takes to operate a game in a residential house are just too far apart to make this a common service. I wish it were different! But unfortunately, it is what it is.
    To the people who think that $250-$500 a month is way too high, I ask you this: how much would you charge to breakdown, move (across town), and setup a game in a new location (with steps) where you won't have any moving assistance from the customer...and then pick it up one month later? Let's pretend it's not even your game and you won't have to do any maintenance or communicating during that month.

I'm not in the vendor business, and I'm not attempting to tell anyone how to do their job. I'm merely stating what I think would be fair as a homebound, no visitors rental plan.

Again, given the current state of affairs, if someone were possibly going to be in a tight situation, I'd think they'd suck it up. If they're not, then I absolutely get it, not worth your time.

I did try to stipulate close range (50 miles) and a "trusted" renter. Not trying to be argumentative.

All good.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Not to mention if you pull the game out of the location. That is an empty spot. While they are sitting there with nothing to do and thinking. What if they think that spot is better used for something else, and they don't want the game back ?
    Or if you have a contract with the location, you may not be able to remove it.
    LTG : )

Another good point. Pros and Cons to all sides.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RonSS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rental?tu=RonSS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.