Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by cooldan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi I have been asked to rent a standard WOZ for a corporate event... It will be a 4 day rental - 2 transport, 2 for event... The machine I have is brand new out of the box - basically my showroom game for now - but it is perfect. I obviously have concerns even entertaining the option given this is a $ 8,000 machine and it's going somewhere with no pinball people there to appreciate it - that a scratch makes a difference, no one to help fix it if there are any mechanical issues, etc... I don't expect any problems, it's going to place where professionals will be using it in a business environment so it won't be abused. I assume mostly adults too... I have my own event I need the game for the next day - so that is a concern too - if something happens, even if fixable, with the lack of time to repair I might have to open up another game to use - hence devaluing a 2nd machine otherwise I would keep in the box... I want to be fair but leaning towards just saying no out of concern - looking for a dollar figure that might be enough to get me to do it - but also want to be fair. I have told them that the fact they want this particular machine is the issue and an older pinball would be much cheaper than what I might expect...So if you were approached to do the same - again keeping in mind it's a brand new WOZ - how much would you want ?
Thanks for your opinions...
Joe

#2 9 years ago

Tough spot. Essentially you are routing this game, if even for a short time, so nicks and such should be expected. While you are the only one that knows the magic number to make you feel better, to start the conversation I will say $1800 (just throwing it out, smarter folks will comment I am sure). Your set up and travel time, and a few hundred bucks a day to cover going from a new machine to not so new. I would also ensure you get paid if the machine is working or not. Just my two cents...

#3 9 years ago

They are lucky buggers to get a new machine to rent like that.
I know nothing about rental of equipment like this, but maybe you can treat it like a car rental. Show them the cabinet, take pictures of it etc and explain you allow a certain amount of wear and tear, but not gouges etc.
As far as price, how much do they charge for those bouncy houses? I am thinking $1800 is maybe a but high, but then again you are transporting it. My thought it $1000. That comes out to $250 a day. Are they prepared to pay something like that?

I guess you have to ask yourself, what will you do with this machine after you get it back. Its now used and cant be sold as new. Would you take a $1000 hit trying to sell it?

#4 9 years ago

Here are my thoughts o. It. Being that it is already out of the box it has already depreciated, how much? Not sure, in your showroom are customers playing the pins? If so I'd consider it to be lightly routed. Technically it is not NIB or HUO if it has been unboxed, set up, and played. What does a lightly routed WOZ sell for? If say around $6000-$6200. So Id say rent it for $1800-$2000 (one week min rate charge) get it back look it over charge for any extra damage (like a rental car) and sell the pin for around $6k make your $8k total on the machine and a fellow pinsider looking for a deal on a woz happy as could be (ps if you go this route I would like to be that pinsides lol )

#5 9 years ago

I would be looking at around 1500 but also I would be insisting on a deposit in the event something does happen to it. The fact that this will be in a place with "professionals" could potentially get you one or two sales as well!!!

#6 9 years ago

yup, immediate thought was $500/day + transport cost and deposit.

#7 9 years ago

The numbers thrown around so far seem reasonable. I used to work in corporate events, and there was always a ton of money. I'd quote high, they'll either accept or they won't. And if they don't, would you really want to kill yourself and risk damage to the machine for less? So I wouldn't lose sleep if they didn't go for it.

#8 9 years ago

I charge $100-$300 to rent games for the day depending on the game value and who's renting it. I usually charge $100 per classic vid, and around $200-$300 for new Sterns, or a newer vid like Guitar Hero. I would definitely charge more than usual for a brand new WOZ.

#9 9 years ago

$2,000-$2,250 for a 4 day rental

#10 9 years ago

Agree with the ballpark prices. But also definitely make sure you get a hefty deposit basically to cover the entire cost of the machine.

Also, be sure to check on insurance. As paranoid as it may be, what happens if the machine falls on someone and breaks their leg or something....

Silly thing, but the easiest thing would probably be to sell them the machine with an agreed buyback price contingent on any damages. That way it's their machine, they own it, it's their responsibility/liability. You are off the hook for everything.
And when the event is over, you assess the machine and buy it back from them.

#11 9 years ago

Offer them lease to own. They'll buy it in the end.

#12 9 years ago

$500 per day of play plus $200-$250 for delivery. Just put in a damage waiver that they are responsible for damage that is outside normal wear and tear. Emphasize that this is an 8k game and if they damage it, they would be responsible. Minor scratches are to be expected but dings, dents or gouges would be extra. I would consider putting some temporary mylar over the flipper buttons and let it go.

#13 9 years ago

Get close to $2000 total. That pays for 1/4 of the machine and you could probably get over $6000 if you sell it after the event. Hope it's in good care at the event.

#14 9 years ago

it would be high or not happening to me. they could possibly trash it!

be sure to beer proof it as well! and throw on some cab protectors if not already installed.

I would rent it but would want to get paid and I would have some clause in case you come back and its laying on its side.

#15 9 years ago

I would just say no. Unless you are in the business of renting out games, it just doesn't make sense. There is too much risk for the reward you will get. I understand exposing game to people may make one of them all of a sudden want to buy one (in your business, that is a nice thing). But the risk of game damage is too high. I wouldn't send my HUO WOZ out to an event for any amount of money less than replacement cost of the game. If you did it with one you are already routing? Sure, but a brand new one? Nah.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

it would be high or not happening to me. they could possibly trash it!
be sure to beer proof it as well! and throw on some cab protectors if not already installed.
I would rent it but would want to get paid and I would have some clause in case you come back and its laying on its side.

I would think the client wanting to rent a WOZ is probably a higher class person. Unless its going to some hippy commune where they are doing LSD for 4 days and watching the WOZ movie all geeked up on ludes.

#17 9 years ago

$250 per day, $300 at most.

$500 a day? Really?

Koz

#18 9 years ago

Your local "Rent-All" charges 10% of the item cost per day for any motorized item.

ie: An $800 tile saw rents for $80 a day, An $1800 curber runs $180 a day.....plus delivery if needed.

You pay for every day the machine is not in their shop, whether you are using it or not.

You need to make at least that much, because any stuck ball is going to cost you another trek out there.

I'd say $1600 is where you need to be.

Remember to make sure you advertise your name, phone number and price of the game on the apron "This game can be yours for $6500!" . You would rather sell it to some rich corporate guy than drag it back to the shop.

#19 9 years ago

I work for a large pharmaceutical company and stuff like this is common. It's almost an open checkbook. Now, saying this is an $8000 machine is incorrect. As a dealer you obviously paid much less. You could rent it for $500 a day and make out like a bandit when you go to sell it as a used machine for $7000. I would explain to your contact that the minute you take it out of the box and place it on route the value will drop by at least $1000. Assuming that the market cap for this company is in the billions they will have no problem spending two grand on something like this.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Your local "Rent-All" charges 10% of the item cost per day for any motorized item.
ie: An $800 tile saw rents for $80 a day, An $1800 curber runs $180 a day.....plus delivery if needed.
You pay for every day the machine is not in their shop, whether you are using it or not.
You need to make at least that much, because any stuck ball is going to cost you another trek out there.
I'd say $1600 is where you need to be.
Remember to make sure you advertise your name, phone number and price of the game on the apron "This game can be yours for $6500!" . You would rather sell it to some rich corporate guy than drag it back to the shop.

Great thought! I wouldn't be surprised if this game being on location led to a sale!

#21 9 years ago

Wow... First off thank you for all the replies there are a lot of great comments, concerns, and some I didn't think of. I had thought of a damage deposit, but not insurance on the game or liability as well for it's use (falling on someone, etc...).

I was also extremely surprised at the amount of money you guys were telling me to ask... I didn't want to say what I was thinking so I could get your opinions... The rental is 2 days use, 2 days it would be in travel... so to me I was thinking 2 days use... I was thinking like $ 400 for the whole time and then upped it to $ 500 just to make it worth it. I couldn't imagine charging $ 2,000... If that was possible I'd be renting them full time, not selling ! lol...

But, that said, I do realize some corporate entities do have deep pockets, but I didn't want to gouge them or anything of the sort, just wanted to be fair, but I really felt it wasn't worth it at any price I'd be comfortable asking. As you all stated, if some goof rips the decals, then all bets are off and I've got zero to show for the risk.

I'll throw a number out to them between $ 500 and $ 750 or so and I'll let everyone know how it goes... Thanks to everyone that posted - they all were helpful.

Joe

#22 9 years ago

I'd go a bit higher still, up to $1k and they cover transpo. But do what feels right--kinda depends on the company too. Will they be setting it up themselves?

#23 9 years ago

+ 1 go higher! they will negotiate to the number they were thinking

#24 9 years ago

The 1500+ amounts are way out of the ball park for a rental. I was once asked to provide 6 machines at an one day event here in town that gets 40k+ guests (which pay a min of $45 to attend) and I asked for $150 for each machine and they said $900 was to much and they didn't need them.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

The 1500+ amounts are way out of the ball park for a rental. I was once asked to provide 6 machines at an one day event here in town that gets 40k+ guests (which pay a min of $45 to attend) and I asked for $150 for each machine and they said $900 was to much and they didn't need them.

Whatever less-than-150-a-day price they wanted to pay is ludicrous. I wouldn't even move 12 machines (6 in, 6 out) belonging to someone else for $900.

#26 9 years ago

What if, God forbid, the thing falls off the truck or is stolen or some tragic event that causes you to not get the pin back or its damaged badly. Who will pay for that?

#27 9 years ago

$100.00 delivery
$100.00 Pick-up
$100.00 for each day there (4 days)
= $600.00
This is what I have charged before.
Also, get some paperwork signed.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

and they said $900 was to much and they didn't need them.

That was exactly it, they DID NOT NEED THEM.

We are not talking about dragging a 30 year old, routed game to their function.

We are talking about a brand new, the most expensive game you can buy, WOZ.

Here is what the pros charge to rent some used games (don't forget to add $100 delivery and then $100 pick up for each game):

MODEL - 1 DAY - 2 DAYS - WEEKEND - 1 WEEK

C.S.I. $575 $670 $725 $850
Batman $575 $670 $725 $850
Indiana Jones $575 $670 $725 $850
Spiderman $575 $670 $725 $850
Simpsons Pinball Party $575 $670 $725 $850
Wheel of Fortune $575 $670 $725 $850
Family Guy $575 $670 $725 $850
Pirates of the Caribbean $575 $670 $725 $850
The Sopranos $575 $670 $725 $850
World Poker Tour $575 $670 $725 $850

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here is what the pros charge to rent some used games (don't forget to add $100 delivery and then $100 pick up for each game):
MODEL - 1 DAY - 2 DAYS - WEEKEND - 1 WEEK
C.S.I. $575 $670 $725 $850
Batman $575 $670 $725 $850
Indiana Jones $575 $670 $725 $850
spiderman $575 $670 $725 $850
Simpsons Pinball Party $575 $670 $725 $850
Wheel of Fortune $575 $670 $725 $850
Family Guy $575 $670 $725 $850
Pirates of the Caribbean $575 $670 $725 $850
The Sopranos $575 $670 $725 $850
World Poker Tour $575 $670 $725 $850

so, 575/670/725/850???

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

so, 575/670/725/850???

Yes, obviously.

#31 9 years ago

Pinside does not support [tabs] or allow more than single spacing.

I have no idea how to post a table and keep the formatting, lol.

#32 9 years ago

When dealing with corp events, I always applied a "cream" mentality. I collected the cream from the best paying events, and left the rest. I'd work half as much for twice the money.

Now I even work less than that .

#33 9 years ago

$5 tops, WOZ is crap

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rent-a-woz-how-much-to-charge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.