Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221223_061502 (resized).jpg
20221223_054057 (resized).jpg
20221223_053252 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi All,
I am cleaning a playfield that has been waxed many years ago. There appears to be lots and lots of tiny "white" spots that I assume is dried wax.
Suggestions on how to remove?

Thanks in advance
Bob

#2 1 year ago

Pics? If it’s dried wax then you can use Novus 1&2 with a microfiber towel.

#3 1 year ago

The other possibility is paint loss down to the white layer.

#4 1 year ago

In the car community we say like removes like. What that means is typically fresh wax will remove dried wax, fresh polish will remove dried polish etc.

I’d try with some fresh carnuba wax, let it soak in a bit on the white spots to add some moisture back to the old wax and see what happens.

#5 1 year ago

Naptha is very good at dissolving old wax

#6 1 year ago

Great tips.
Thanks all.

Bob

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

In the car community we say like removes like. What that means is typically fresh wax will remove dried wax, fresh polish will remove dried polish etc.
I’d trie with some fresh carnival wax, let it soak in a bit on the white spots to add some moisture back to the old wax and see what happens.

Where would a person purchase some Carnival wax?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from generalgman:

Where would a person purchase some Carnival wax?

Next time the carnival is in or near your town just show up & ask 1 of the dudes waxing

#9 1 year ago

Willem Dafoe knows it's Carnuba wax not Carnival wax. No Toy Story 4 jokes please.

#10 1 year ago

Here is a picture of the dots I am trying to eliminate...

20221223_053252 (resized).jpg20221223_053252 (resized).jpg

20221223_054057 (resized).jpg20221223_054057 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

Man, that almost looks like the paint wearing off in tiny flakes. The pf looks better right up against the posts/rubbers. If it were dried wax, I'd think it would be extra built-up there, where the wax is harder to get off.

I like the idea of trying new wax or naptha and seeing if it changes things - that should tell you something.

#12 1 year ago

Looking close up, it appears that there are pinholes in the clear topcoat that filled with a wax that dried white. I just applied a coat of P21-S Carnuba, to a small area, and you can clearly see the difference. Thanks to all for suggesting the wax approach.

20221223_061502 (resized).jpg20221223_061502 (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago

Nice! I like that P21S stuff - use it on my machines.

#14 1 year ago

So the next mystery is whether you can get Carnuba wax at the Carnival ?

#15 1 year ago

Ha! I’m happy my “carnival” wax suggestion helped. Seems like I need to do a better job at proof reading before hitting send post.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

So the next mystery is whether you can get Carnuba wax at the Carnival ?

Nah, since Carnuba wax is derived from palms in Brazil, you don't get it at "the carnival" but at "Carnival" (pronounced with a Portuguese accent).

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Nice! I like that P21S stuff - use it on my machines.

P21S is all I use. I don’t let it dry completely, awesome stuff, no residue.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

P21S is all I use. I don’t let it dry completely, awesome stuff, no residue.

Yeah, that's what I love about it - no residue!

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Ha! I’m happy my “carnival” wax suggestion helped. Seems like I need to do a better job at proof reading before hitting send post.

Naw. That’s the nice thing about Pinside. You can make a comment and nice when everyone can have a chuckle.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-wax-dots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.