You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2665.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg
Aurora-20140306-00347.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Im looking to remove the warming resistors from my F14 Tomcat to prevent the flashers from remaining on all the time. I was going to desolder just one leg of each resistor and then shrink wrap it to prevent any shorts and allow a quick resolder in the event i ever sell the machine to someone who wants to go back to regular flasher bulbs in the future. Does that sound like an ok idea ?
My question is ... Can anyone tell me for certain if all the resistors underneath the playfield are for only the flashers ? Do i remove all of them or are certain ones for something else ? I counted 17 flashers on the field but there are 6 boards with 4 resistors on each board totaling 24 resistors . Some are 330 ohm and some are 4.7 ohm and are different lengths and wattage. Am i just miscounting the flashers or again , are some of them for something else ?

Also, have 4 flashers behind the backglass (transite) which has 1 board with 4 resistors. Photo attached. Do i clip all 4 resistors ?
Just dont want to screw anything up !

Any help would be much appreciated. Aurora-20140306-00347.jpgAurora-20140306-00347.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Sorry, i forgot to mention it was because i have LED flashers installed.

#6 10 years ago

yeah, sorry, meant to put the LED point in my original post

#8 10 years ago

Thanks Grumpy !!

#9 10 years ago

I just took a look and noticed that some of the boards have two ground wires attached (they are soldered onto the board at the same spot) and some have just one. Do i remove both ground wires on the boards with the two ?

#11 10 years ago

ok. thanks again

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

or just leave one standard in each group. The incandescent will eat the warming current and the LED's won't come on unless they are called

I dont want to leave any of the incandescents in as they look way to dull compared to the leds.

Quoted from newtoit:

The resistor boards have 28v going to them and removing them might cause the flashers to blow

Does anyone know if this is a possibility or am i good to go removing the ground wires.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

You only remove the 330 ohm resistors, the other ones are necessary for the flasher circuits to work properly.

So should i do this rather than remove the ground wires ?

#24 10 years ago

ok, i removed all ground wires and heat shrunk them. All led flashers are installed and working properly now.

Thanks everyone !!

#26 10 years ago

It was Grumpy, please understand my hestitance as im new to fixing thing and i got a lot of conflicting options and was just very nervous about making mistakes.
BTW. i also just changed my first flipper coils ever and everything is good!! Woohoo !! Im new to the pinball repair world and im loving it !!

Does anyone else get that amazing feeling when they do something outside of their comfort zone and it works out well and you feel really good !!!! just curious ?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Especially when you turn it on and there's no smoke or that burning plastic smell.

Exactly !!!!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

What kind of led flashers did you use? Been thinking of doing this for a while.

I used the premium leds from cointaker. My led flashers were direct replacements for the 89 bulbs.

Quoted from adaman25:

Maybe post a vid if you can.

Maybe someone else can do a vid as im already done with mine

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

Thanks. Did you do the 6 flashers that are all in a row at the top of the playfield? If so, are they too blinding because they point right at you?

Yep, did every single light in the machine. I think it looks great and nothing too blinding at all !

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

And in my machine, I did not. That way I did not have to remove warming resistors.

All comes down to personal choice !!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

I do notice that system 11 flashers just blast your eyes into the back of your head when they go off though.

Yep ! And i love it !!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-warming-resistors?tu=superbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.