You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2665.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg
Aurora-20140306-00347.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider patofnaud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 10 years ago

Sigh, so much confusing information...

Read this.. http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#flash

Then you have 2 choices if you wish to use LED flashers.
1. You remove the 330W resistor (lifting a leg is fine, remove the ground wire is fine) or,
2) You leave incandescent flasher in the backpanel and only do the upfacing ones on the playfield.

I did #2 to my F-14.

What is happening is that 330ohm resistor is causing a constant current drag to ground while the lamp is off. This in turn cause a small amount of voltage to be present at the point where the 2 resistors are tied to one leg of the bulb. This in turn causes the bulb to 'warm' or be in a state not off but not on enough for you to see it. That way when the logic says FLASH, the bulb is already half way there.

The resistor does not limit voltage and removing it will hurt nothing even with incandescent, however regular bulbs will ramp up and down and not be as flashy. Not what you want from a flasher.

The reason you have to take it out is the LED bulbs are either on or off, not warm, and that small voltage being placed at the mid point between the 2 resistors is causing LED bulbs to be ON.

The reason option #2 works is because for every flasher on the playfield, their is another 'paired' with it on the backpanel. And that 1 incandescent has enough load to pull that small amount of voltage the 330ohm resistor is causing down low enough that the net result is its LED partner stays off.

I use option 2 all the time, that way 0 mods to the machines wiring. It works on DE/Williams/Bally and any machines with 'paired' flashers.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

Did you do the 6 flashers that are all in a row at the top of the playfield? If so, are they too blinding because they point right at you?

And in my machine, I did not. That way I did not have to remove warming resistors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider patofnaud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-warming-resistors?tu=patofnaud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.