(Topic ID: 155095)

Removing threaded metal post from playfield

By skov

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chuck (resized).JPG
    trr002_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

I've started restoring a Johnny Mnemonic playfield and came upon an issue with removing the threaded metal post. The one that are bolted on the back of the playfield.

I just can't seem to get them to move.

I've removed the bolts, tried forcing them up with a hammer from the bottom with some force, but they're just not moving. I'm worried that I'll splinter the wood topside if I apply to much force with a hammer or similar. This is the first time tearing apart a playfield I've come across this problem. Anybody have any advise on getting the post out without causing damage to the playfield?

#2 8 years ago

Stubborn ones i use my teethless multi grips, twist out slowly

trr002_(resized).JPGtrr002_(resized).JPG

#3 8 years ago

your posts have loc tight on the thread (glue) to stop them becoming loose.

Try heating your post from under the playfield on the t nut with a soldering iron. usually takes 2 minutes to soften the glue and then unscrew

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from jimjam:

your posts have loc tight on the thread (glue) to stop them becoming loose.
    Try heating your post from under the playfield on the t nut with a soldering iron. usually takes 2 minutes to soften the glue and then unscrew

I don't think they do. They're not using a t-nut but a regular bolt under the playfield, and the bolt comes off no problem. It's getting the bare post out of the playfield that's causing the problem. So unless the post i glued to the wood this is not the issue.

#5 8 years ago

Rather than tapping them out unscrew them, the threads have a tendency to lock it in place.

#6 8 years ago

If they are not screwed in but bolted then the topside dose not have flat sides to grip and unscrew. It will be round at the base.

You can put some tape on the vice grips to try and prevent scratching them up but pretty much you have two choices.

Tap it out like you are supposed to and hope you are not right about splintering the playfield. Or locking those vice grips on tight for a turn and pull and replace the post if you scratch it up.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for a magic cure, but I guess it just doing what I've tried and hope for the best

#8 8 years ago

You could try making the post 'cold'...ice pack/ice...air spray can upside down etc. The cold will make the metal shrink and just maybe make it easier for you to get out

10 months later
    #9 7 years ago

I'm running into the same issue here... painfully slow metal post removal. Seems bad to have to use vise-grips. One post took over 15 minutes to remove alone... slowly turning it 1/4 turn by 1/4 turn with pliers... how in the hell do you put the posts back in?

I'd rather use posts that have hex sides around the base so you can at least get a ratchet on it.

#10 7 years ago

Solution!

chuck (resized).JPGchuck (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

Wow! I am going to try this!

9 months later
    #12 6 years ago

Did you use the drill to remove, put back, or both?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-threaded-metal-post-from-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.