Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I am trying to remove the metal frame/trim from the bottom of a backglass. It has some rust. I tried the 'hanging' upside down position as posted here a while ago. It's been hanging from the metal for over 5 days with no movement. Before I squirt some sort of lube or oil to ;enetrate between the glass and the metal (glass side, of course) does anyone have another solution?? Thanks...

#2 7 years ago

I tried hanging a glass upside-down once, but found it didn't work for me either.

Goo gone helps (*not* goof off--that stuff is too harsh), especially if there is black friction tape installed. Let it soak for a while, then try to work off the lift trim by pulling on it a little at a time from one side and work your way down to the other.

You will probably lose some of the paint on the bottom edge, but it likely won't be seen because the front side of the lift trim is higher than the back side (which is pressed against the paint).

Then, depending upon the condition of the rest of the glass, you can use triple thick to seal the backglass.

Or, you can simply leave the trim as is and try to clean it in place as best you can.

#3 7 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that and get back here with results.

#4 7 years ago

Easy trick to remove the lift frame. Lay the glass on a table or large counter top. Hang the lift channel of the edge and GENTLY push the glass against the edge....the trim may remove some artwork so be careful.

#5 7 years ago

Link was NG. nothing to see here.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I tried hanging a glass upside-down once, but found it didn't work for me either.
    Goo gone helps (*not* goof off--that stuff is too harsh), especially if there is black friction tape installed. Let it soak for a while, then try to work off the lift trim by pulling on it a little at a time from one side and work your way down to the other.
    You will probably lose some of the paint on the bottom edge, but it likely won't be seen because the front side of the lift trim is higher than the back side (which is pressed against the paint).
    Then, depending upon the condition of the rest of the glass, you can use triple thick to seal the backglass.
    Or, you can simply leave the trim as is and try to clean it in place as best you can.

OK...Tried the hanging upside down..NG like I reported previously. Before trying Goo Gone, I soaked the channel with "Liquid Wrench" in hope of loosening the metal. I did forget to mention that the channel is badly rusted. So, using the Liquid sounded like it might work, especially before I try Goo Gone since the Goo would probably make it impossible for the Liquid to seep through. So, after days and days of soaking in Liguid, then trying to insert a razor in between the metal and the glass (glass side), then..soaking in Goo Gone for a few days it's still stuck on. I tried, gently, to use a rubber hammer on the metal with no luck at all. On the painted side, I couldn't even get the razor to penetrate between the glass and trim. So, before I use heat, any other suggestions??? Thanks..

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrooklynBaller:

OK...Tried the hanging upside down..NG like I reported previously. Before trying Goo Gone, I soaked the channel with "Liquid Wrench" in hope of loosening the metal. I did forget to mention that the channel is badly rusted. So, using the Liquid sounded like it might work, especially before I try Goo Gone since the Goo would probably make it impossible for the Liquid to seep through. So, after days and days of soaking in Liguid, then trying to insert a razor in between the metal and the glass (glass side), then..soaking in Goo Gone for a few days it's still stuck on. I tried, gently, to use a rubber hammer on the metal with no luck at all. On the painted side, I couldn't even get the razor to penetrate between the glass and trim. So, before I use heat, any other suggestions??? Thanks..

Also, I did use the Krylon triple thick paint and it seems to be holding nicely. I did about 6 back glasses so far.. Thanks for the info on that. part

1 year later
    #8 5 years ago

resurrecting this old thread because i found an effective way to remove the pieces. this was the typical situation of trim that absolutely will not budge. i grabbed my heat gun and got the metal pretty damn warm which softened the black, tape like material inside and whatever other gunk was in there. i was then able to fairly easily remove the trim with no worries of bending it.

#9 5 years ago

Just to add my 2 cents... I replaced two lift trims this past weekend. One was really rusted to the glass and one was not. I used an old post card to work the area between the glass and trim channel. I slid the card edge in carefully and then went back and forth slowly. Once I felt the trim start to loosen in the center (left to right) I just kept working the card back and forth. Eventually, I was able to maneuver the old trim and pull it off.

I was afraid to use heat, liquid or a blade.

I carefully cleaned the edge of the glass with some water on a cloth and then dried it immediately. I let the glass sit to make sure it was 100% dry and then I installed the new lift trim. I hope to never mess with these glasses and trims again.

2 weeks later
    #10 5 years ago

I had a '60s Bally that had a funky metal bar for the lift bar (looked like someone just made it himself) that I had to get off. It looks like it had some epoxy glue - not friction tape! I had 2 backboxes having around, so I put them about a half inch or so away from each other with a bunch of bubble wrap and towels draped between the backboxes, and then seated the backglass bottom bracket along the edge of one of the backboxes, and then just let it sit - for a year! It didn't fall off, but the adhesion did degrade so that I was able to take the lift bar off with a little pull.

2 years later
    #11 3 years ago

So I have a new solution to add to this thread! After closer inspection, I noticed crap between the metal and the glass that looked like rust, crud. So I put the glass, lift bar down on towels, and took Evaporust, and, using a spoon, poured Evaporust into the joint and ran it all along the edge until it was dripping out the end of the bar. Did it a couple times over the course of a day, then let it sit overnight. Next morning, a ligh tug on the bar lifting up, and it popped right off! Hell Yeah!!

#12 3 years ago

Block of wood lite tapping with hammer. They always come off. No problem

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-the-metal-lift-frame-from-the-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.