Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

396191-i.jpg
    2GY57_AS01.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Nylon acorn nuts can be a pretty tight fit on metal posts. I'm sure I'm not alone in having this happen: a GI bulb under a plastic goes out, you need to remove the acorn nuts to get to it, and some of them are so tight that they unscrew the metal posts from the playfield instead of coming loose themselves. Then the taut rubber pulls the now-loosened plastic post over, and you have to grab the metal post right under the plastics with needlenose pliers, possibly scratching your plastics, etc. etc., you get the idea. It's a big pain in the ass, just to replace a bulb. Short of barely tightening the acorn nuts, which to me is a bad idea as the plastics can now move around freely and risk getting scratched, anyone got a good solution for this?

#2 8 years ago

You can get rid of the acorn nuts and use the rubber nuts that don't thread on, they just stay on by friction. They will never bind on like the acorn nuts.

Also, you can get some of the really cheap stamped open ended wrenches. They are thin and easy slip under the playfield plastic so you can engage the nut to keep the screw from turning. They are much smoother and will not easily damage the playfield plastics like a needle nose pliers will.

#3 8 years ago

There's a Gottlieb gadget - basically a flat wrench stamped from sheet metal - available from pin part dealers.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=04100F2809422625D75C8855D70D7D24.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=post+wrench

I took a 1/4" wrench and ground the open end thinner.

IMG_0222.jpgIMG_0222.jpg

At left - an open end from Snap-On(about as thin as they come). At right - a wrench from Stanley after a trip to the grinder.

#4 8 years ago

I have had the same issue, a pain for sure. I have removed the screw completely and drilled out the existing hole and glued a wooden dowel in, let dry for 24 hours and drill in the center of the new dowel and reseat the original screw, clean and lube the threaded part and the acorn nut or use the nylon acorn nuts they seem to work better when the screw is set in tight? that's the best result I can offer.

#5 8 years ago

Change the bulb from the bottom.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

There's a Gottlieb gadget - basically a flat wrench stamped from sheet metal - available from pin part dealers.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=04100F2809422625D75C8855D70D7D24.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=post+wrench

I use this all the time. Basically, you use this to grip the post to keep it from moving, then use a nut driver or socket wrench on the nut.

#7 8 years ago

I think that Gottlieb wrench is the best bet, didn't know such a thing existing or I would have ordered one years ago. Looks like kinda thick sheet metal though, is it thin enough to fit and grip the hex part on a Williams post (which from what I've seen runs about 75% as thick as the hex of a Gottlieb post) ?

#8 8 years ago

The one I have came from PBResource. It's not sheet metal--it doesn't flex at all. I thought it might have been steel, but it's not magnetic. It's 3/32" thick, according to my digital calipers. I haven't had any trouble with it being too thick.

#9 8 years ago

I use the 1/4" and 5/16" open end ignition wrench set from Sears:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-standard-combination-ignition-wrench-set/p-00942319000P

They are smoothed surface so you won't scratch your plastics. Just slide the 1/4" one under the plastic to grab the screw then you use your 5/16" nutdriver to take off the nut.

Of course you could always switch over to using "Post Cap Rubbers" instead of acorn nuts.

#10 8 years ago

Seriously, welcome to pinball. At lerast every individual game has done this at one point or another, and *every* tech has run into this.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

IMG_0222.jpg
    At left - an open end from Snap-On(about as thin as they come). At right - a wrench from Stanley after a trip to the grinder.

Why not grind the Snap-On wrench? They can't cost much more then a Stanley or Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, China that is

#12 8 years ago

I slowly take all the screws out by giving each a few turns until the plastic with all the screws with the caps attached comes out. Then take some pliers and hold on to the screw while also using a nut driver to remove the nylon cap. Upon re-assembly tighten down all the screws and posts, put the plastic piece on and make sure to not tighten the nylon cap much - barely finger tight works perfect for taking it off again in the future.

#13 8 years ago

they arent really nuts, and dont unscrew. you often have to lift up under the screw with a screw driver as you turn. they suck, but look nice all shined up.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

use the rubber nuts that don't thread on

I like those, however I've had cases where they pop off in the middle of gameplay. It seemed isolated to one particular "acorn" so maybe its just a bad one.

#15 8 years ago

I hate those nylon nuts. When I remove them, I replace them with metal ones.

#16 8 years ago

I always just cut stuck nylon or hollow metal nuts off with end nippers.

Pinch into the nut vertically, just a bit from the bottom so you don't scratch the plastics.

You don't have to cut the nut all the way off, as soon as you relieve the pressure, it will turn normally.

Replace with rubber nut.

2GY57_AS01.jpg2GY57_AS01.jpg
    396191-i.jpg396191-i.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Just throw those damn useless things away go with the plastic ones. Damn gottlieb junk!! Lol

#18 8 years ago

There is no substitute for quality!

#19 8 years ago

It's a cost savings move. But how much are they really saving when the look is cheap on a $7,000 piece of equipment.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I always just cut stuck nylon or hollow metal nuts off with end nippers.
    Pinch into the nut vertically, just a bit from the bottom so you don't scratch the plastics.
    You don't have to cut the nut all the way off, as soon as you relieve the pressure, it will turn normally.
    Replace with rubber nut.

What is this rubber nut you are referring to? Nylon insert lock nut?

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

What is this rubber nut you are referring to?

White post cap rubbers:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=51

Black post cap rubbers:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=52

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

White post cap rubbers:
    Black post cap rubbers:

So they just push on and pull off? No tools required?

#23 8 years ago

Correct.

However, some would frown upon using the incorrect post caps for the game.

#24 8 years ago

Yup, easy as pie. Just push on or pull off.

At the large game route operator I worked at for many years, I used to order post cap rubbers by the thousands!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-super-tight-acorn-nuts-unscrews-metal-posts-instead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.