Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So somebody in my firepower’s past thought it would be good to spray thick black spray paint on the rear of the backglass, I assume to mask fine scratches. From the picture side there’s no flaked art, no gouges, nothing. I’m not really sure what the purpose was but since no light will shine through I want to at a minimum thin it without damaging art. Ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Going at it chemically will likely damage the original artwork, unless you find something that is slow to react. If you wanted to test, I might paint a test surface with some acrylic paint, let it cure, then spray it with black spray paint, then test some of the usual chemicals. Alcohol, Goo gone, naphtha, goof off (contains some acetone), mineral spirits, and possibly even going as harsh as acetone. There's also various motsenbocker's products, but I haven't had great success with that on spray painted cabinets. Note that it would be best to apply the chemical to a paper towel or cotton rag, and not directly on the paint.

Sanding with very fine grit sandpaper might be a possible approach, but the original paint is not quite leveled to the same height, so you might end up sanding through the original masking and paint.

Mayfair amusement might have replacements in stock, though I'm guessing one would be just under the $300 mark.

#3 4 years ago

Eweweweh… yuck.
Others with more experience might have better suggestions...

But someone thought it would be a good idea to spray paint an old pacman cabinet … probably to disguise it for another game:
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=646667&postcount=16
Anyway; Believe it or not I had marginal success removing the spray paint with

xylene.

I'd defiantly test is sparingly before committing... and I'd wait for others to chime in on less solventy type solutions. I have no idea what this stuff would do to BG paint. Like said; use the solvent on a rag and work sparingly on the BG... dont' apply directly to the air as you risk getting the solvent between the glass and the art where it'll definably soften and/or break the surface tension between the glass and art - leading to flaking down the road.

#4 4 years ago

carefully test spray on oven cleaner, (not the environmentally friendly one)

#5 4 years ago

Don't know how to get it off but I know how it gets on there - it's an old operator trick. The thinking was artwork even though marred with the paint looks better than bare bulbs and flaking ink. Locations demanded nice looking machines and usually when 2-3 years had passed and the game was no longer in the A locations they got rotated to the B and C locations - operators are masters of psychology - they had all their locations convinced they were the "A" locations....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-spray-paint-from-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.