View topic image gallery

image-747.jpg
image-13.jpg
image-967.jpg
image-789.jpg
image-419.jpg
image-763.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Does anyone have any advice on the easiest way to remove the stock siderails on a late-model Stern (TSPP). I'm trying to install the rails with flipper guards.

There's a bolt with no head nearest the flipper buttons, I'm not really sure how to remove this one as it seems to be screwed through the wood. Any suggestions?

#2 10 years ago

The bolt by the flipper you need to take the nut off on the inside of the cabinet.

#3 10 years ago

Take the lock down off.
Take the glass out.
Unscrew the nut inside the cap on the end of that bolt.
Unscrew the other security torx screws and tilt the head forward removing the philips head that may be hiding under the hindge (my id4 did)

You may have to flair the edges on the lock down for it to fit right.
Good luck ,,,much easier than a Williams.

#4 10 years ago

I've got the nut off the bolt nearest the flipper, but it doesn't seem to want to pop out. I've even tried prying the current siderail a bit to free it up, but it seems to be pretty well set in the cab..

#5 10 years ago

I changed the siderails on my TSPP to the ones with the flipper button guards before I sold it.

Yes, remove the lockdown bar and playfield glass, undo the nuts on both sides of the cabinet near where the lockdown bar fits and remove the bolts through the siderails. The bolts can be quite tight in the cabinet. Try replacing the nut back onto the bolt a few threads and gently tapping it to free it off.

As has been said, you need to do the same at the other end of the siderails. You'll need to unlock the backbox and tilt it forward enough to remove the bolts past the backbox brackets. There are also two screws along the length of the siderails that need to be removed. The siderails should then come off fairly easily. Don't forget they have been in place since the machine was built, up to nine years ago.

I really need to do this on my LOTR, as the cabinet is just starting to wear around the flipper buttons.

2 years later
#6 8 years ago

Bump from the dead since this thread just helped me out.

I just changed mine tonight and noticed one change from the tips above. On my Mustang Stern uses a 7/16 nut on the inside by the flipper and a 3/8 nut on the rear bolt by the hinge. That plus the two phillips screws In the middle is all it takes.

First I removed the glass, then folded down the back box. Then I removed the two rear nuts and bolts and folded the back box up. I then did the flipper nuts and bolts, followed by the side screws so I was in a good position to hold the rail so it didn't pivot or slide down and scratch the cab. I put on the new Stern side rails, and started in the middle with the two screws. Then I continued in reverse with the back box and glass being last. Easy peasy.

Here's some pics.

image-13.jpg

image-763.jpg

image-789.jpg

image-419.jpg

Don't forget to reattach the ground braid on both sides. Also consider a small hammer to tap out the bolts at the front and rear.

image-967.jpg

image-747.jpg

4 years later
#7 4 years ago

Is this still solid advice?

Need to change out the rails on my TSPP to the nuclear side rails.

#8 4 years ago

Wow....someone took the time to post pics. Yeah this is as good as it gets!

3 years later
#9 7 months ago

I just finished my DP... ,pro. Back pin was 1/2 hole off.... that's BS....! 4 dang holes to drill and they screw it up. One side was fine, so I just left it out.

Thanks for the help guy's

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!