Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by justinnap
  • Topic is favorited by 134 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 41 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7628B175-70E6-4633-A722-9FBC62D8F3E1 (resized).jpeg
D5FC6F78-A02D-44FE-B171-5254FBB1A029 (resized).jpeg
73B1E7F6-DE93-482D-8915-1B5E11048AC6 (resized).jpeg
08335E8C-ABAD-455A-B310-560AB0330F8A (resized).jpeg
Ball guide (resized).png
Brad Setter (resized).jpg
apice70gj__81012.1358283623.1280.1280 (resized).jpg
20180201_202209 (resized).jpg
20180201_202238 (resized).jpg
TOM # 9 (resized).jpg
TOM # 24 (resized).jpg
100_0113 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1717 (resized).JPG
IMG_1713 (resized).JPG
IMG_1716 (resized).JPG

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

Whomever tried this gave up after removing about 4 nails and leaving the rest partially pulled it is a bit more mangled than the pics show

20180201_202238 (resized).jpg
20180201_202209 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#52 10 months ago

Tacoo pointed out some flush cut nippers that don't need to be ground flush.

apice70gj__81012.1358283623.1280.1280 (resized).jpg

@ $13 where have you been all my life?

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/luthier-tools/pliers/fastcap-fret-cutters-flush-cutting-end-nips/

#53 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/luthier-tools/pliers/fastcap-fret-cutters-flush-cutting-end-nips/

Sure would have been handy yesterday before I ground mine down.

#54 10 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Found it on ebay for $15.29 shipped:

ebay.com link

1 month later
#55 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The next tool you will need is a pair of End Nipper Cutters.

The jaws come together with the perfect trajectory for removing Spiral Nails that are almost flush with the rail surface.

HF didn't have flush End Nipper Cutters and Lowe's/HD only have semi-flush. Where do you get these? (NM, I see the one on eBay from Forceflow. Will order it. I didn't finish reading this topic to the end)

I plan to use a Picture Framing Brad Setter to push the nails back in.

Something like this.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32117&cat=1,43293

Brad Setter (resized).jpg

1 week later
#56 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The first tool in any Rail removing arsenal is a Heavy Duty Scraper. We need a stiffer blade to wedge under the rail and raise the Spiral Nail up a millimeter, so we can pull it out.

Heavy Duty Scrapers have a flat and beveled side to the blade. For this job, the flat side goes against the cabinet, so we don't gouge the wood.

Is this the best tool for raising the nail up on these metal ball guides?

I've tried wiggling mine behind the guide and can't seem to budge the nail. I don't want to damage the metal guide.

This is what I'm working with. The donor game has good metal guides. I want to remove them from the donor game without damaging them so I can use them on this game.

Ball guide (resized).png

#57 9 months ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Is this the best tool for raising the nail up on these metal ball guides?
I've tried wiggling mine behind the guide and can't seem to budge the nail. I don't want to damage the metal guide.
This is what I'm working with. The donor game has good metal guides. I want to remove them from the donor game without damaging them so I can use them on this game.

If you absolutely can't get a scraper behind the guide, then remove the rail and drill off the head:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-side-rails-vids-guide#post-2409994

#58 9 months ago

Ouch ok. I'll try that as a last resort if I have to. I'm able to get the scraper behind the guide but wiggling it doesn't budge the nail. Maybe stick a piece of metal behind the scraper to protect the wood and wiggle the scraper a little more vigorously?

Thanks,
Bruce

#59 9 months ago

The scraper only needs to open up a millimeter of space for the cutters to grab the head, so it does not take much

It's so fast to drill it, don't waste any time fooling with a scraper if the nails are rusted stuck.

4 months later
#60 4 months ago

Any tips for removing the rest of the siderails and in particular the double sided tape?

I recently took the side rails off my Fish Tales and with the rails came a lot of cabinet wood. I also bent the rails in the process. Admittedly I wasn’t very careful because I was replacing the decals and the siderails anyway (and I had a new tube of wood filler), but I was thinking there’s got to be a better way. I used a hammer to hit the scraper up under the siderails and did a bit of pulling.

08335E8C-ABAD-455A-B310-560AB0330F8A (resized).jpeg
#61 4 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Any tips for removing the rest of the siderails and in particular the double sided tape?
I recently took the side rails off my Fish Tales and with the rails came a lot of cabinet wood. I also bent the rails in the process. Admittedly I wasn’t very careful because I was replacing the decals and the siderails anyway (and I had a new tube of wood filler), but I was thinking there’s got to be a better way. I used a hammer to hit the scraper up under the siderails and did a bit of pulling.
[quoted image]

Apply heat to soften up the tape... and make sure you aren't digging into the cabinet when scraping. Use less force.

2 months later
#62 46 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Apply heat to soften up the tape... and make sure you aren't digging into the cabinet when scraping. Use less force.

Absolutely. You don’t even need a heat gun...a blowdryer is something I commonly use. On the Hot setting gives off more than enough heat.

1 month later
#63 5 days ago

The side rails on our Gottlieb Swing-Along wrap around a piece of plywood making it impossible to slide a putty knife underneath to loosen the nails.
7628B175-70E6-4633-A722-9FBC62D8F3E1 (resized).jpeg

One solution mentioned here is to drill out the nails... I opted for another method that worked very well for me. I used the putty knife to loosen the nails at each end of the side rail and then created a long wedge which I tapped down the side of the rail. Once the nail was driven out a bit, I would remove the wedge, extract the nail and repeat for the next nail further in.
D5FC6F78-A02D-44FE-B171-5254FBB1A029 (resized).jpeg

The wedge was made from a thin plywood strip I had lying around. I mitered the end and wrapped the wedge in UHMW tape (mostly because I also had that lying around). I’m not sure the slick tape was really necessary, but it did make it easy to insert and remove the wedge.
73B1E7F6-DE93-482D-8915-1B5E11048AC6 (resized).jpeg

It doesn’t seem like there are many games with the wrap-around side rails, but thought I’d post this to document another option. Perhaps there is a circumstance when using the putty knife against the cabinet artwork is undesireable... the wedge method could be used to keep all the prying at the ends of the rail and underneath.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside