View topic image gallery

IMG_1551 done (resized).JPG
IMG_1365 (resized).JPG
IMG_1351 (resized).JPG
IMG_1366 (resized).JPG
IMG_1344 (resized).JPG
IMG_1367 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I'm about to swap out a SAM playfield and just quickly wanted to get some guidance on doing this.

How many connectors roughly am I removing? What's the best way to approach this.

And once disconnected, how do I get the pf out of the cabinet without taking all the paint with me!

Thanks in advance

#2 5 years ago

Unless I missed something somewhere, one cable has to be pulled all the way back to the coin door! Maybe for an interlock switch? It's a pain in the bee hind.

#3 5 years ago

Do I have to disconnect everything on the boards?

#4 5 years ago

I don't think you have pull all the board connectors. When you slide the field out you will see the bundle that has to come with it. You may have to clip a few zip-ties to get it all sorted.

#5 5 years ago

Hi Damien

I have done this before. Hope that this helps.

You have to pull almost all of the plugs off of the two boards and separate a lot of the cables in the bottom of the cabinet. It takes about 10-14 hours total in and out if you work slow and careful. I took pictures, wrote notes and marked everything I could. It went back together smoothly and works perfectly.

First you will need to get as much access as possible to the inner cabinet behind the playfield. If your game has only service posts, you can set something up outside of the game to support the posts well beyond the cabinet. I used a sawhorse with a 4x4 on top.

IMG_1367 (resized).JPGIMG_1367 (resized).JPG

The boards look like this to start. I took very detailed photos of each plug so there was no confusion when it went back together. Also you will probably have to weave the harness together to make it look professional, so photos will help there as well.

IMG_1344 (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPG

Once you have the boards stripped, it will look like this. Couple of tips. The connectors are challenging to unplug. I found that a thin piece of styrene plastic slipped in under the locking tabs made it much easier to get them to release. Also since you are working and touching the boards (you may even have to unscrew the left side board to get the cables out) you may want to follow some static discharge practices/wear a static discharge wristband etc.

IMG_1366 (resized).JPGIMG_1366 (resized).JPG

You will then want to start disconnecting the cables in the bottom of the cabinet. I numbered and cataloged everything.

IMG_1351 (resized).JPGIMG_1351 (resized).JPG

Finally, you will be able to pile the giant bundle of wires you will have attached to the playfield up on the playfield. Like this. One person can lift it straight up and out, but it is a lot easier if you have an assistant.

IMG_1365 (resized).JPGIMG_1365 (resized).JPG

Basically reverse the process to install. Here is what my boards look like after reinstallation and weaving the harness.

IMG_1551 done (resized).JPGIMG_1551 done (resized).JPG

Hope that helps and good luck!

#6 5 years ago

The connectors are different sizes with different keys so labeling everything is probably not needed.

I lift the PF out first with everything still attached. I tilt the PF up, rest my forearms on the side rails with my hands clinching the PF. With my hands only I rock the PF off the hooks and lift the PF straight out. I then set the front of the PF down on the floor and lean the back on the side of the machine. Then I remove all the plugs. My first one I pulled after I took all the wires off the boards and a wire caught and I was stuck with a PF half out with no help. I hope you have some decent upper body strength, if not grab a friend.

#7 5 years ago

Oh wow, there's more involved in this then I had anticipated.

A friend of mine has GBLE and I remember it being pretty simple. Guessing that Spike wasn't this involved.

I'll have to figure out a time to do this. I was hoptit was just a matter of taking out a couple of large connectors and pulling the pf out.

Alright... Challenge accepted

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from 1quartershort:

It takes about 10-14 hours total in and out if you work slow and careful.

Holy cow...10-14 hrs.?! It took me
About 20 min. to get my GB playfield out and I am no pinball tech. I guess some things have improved with Spike.

#9 5 years ago

It took me about an hour to do SMVE. You can detail where everything goes, but I feel it’s unnecessary. Take pictures of each board in the head and you should be all set. Anything that has a molex connector will be easy to match by the wire colors and different size connectors

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

A friend of mine has GBLE and I remember it being pretty simple. Guessing that Spike wasn't this involved.

SPIKE is MUCH easier to pull the playfield. Those games take 5 minutes, and that is being generous.

Quoted from 1quartershort:

It takes about 10-14 hours total in and out if you work slow and careful.

That seems like a really long time to me. That's almost 2 days of work just to pull a playfield out of a game and toss in a new one. Unless the new playfield was unpopulated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-sam-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.