(Topic ID: 25901)

Removing rails from a restored AFM

By hank35

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

With the exception of two small dings from the head coming down on the rails, this machine is close to collector quality. With that said, I would like to remove the rails but fear cabinet or decal damage. Is there a safe way to remove the rails without high risk of damaging the cabinet or artwork?

Thanks in advance.

#3 11 years ago

Excellent thread. Thanks.

#4 11 years ago

I still don't see how that thread "flossing " would work. I wanted to chime in on this thread earlier. But I'm not qualified to answer the question. I would have major concerns about damaging the artwork.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I still don't see how that thread "flossing " would work. I wanted to chime in on this thread earlier. But I'm not qualified to answer the question. I would have major concerns about damaging the artwork.

With using dental floss; how so?

The whole theory is to slide the floss under the stainless and slice upward thus slicing the double-sided tape.

Some guy on RGP swears by the method; and apparently, it's an old car-guy trick to successfully remove badges.

My theory is to improve upon the idea: by ripping a bandsaw blade in half (which is thinner than a putty knife) and slicing upwards--thus removing any risk to the original screening, and ripping through the tape in no time.

I'll post my final results in the thread.

#6 11 years ago

Having powder coated all my rails, they're very easy to remove. It takes me about 2 minutes to get a side rail off. The rail is garbage after. The rail is held on by the front bolt, sometimes a back screw or nail, and double sided tape.

1) remove the front screw
2) fold down the back board and remove the back screw or nail of it exists
3) get a long flat blade screw driver and start at the front.
4) Jam the screw driver in under the rail ripping the tape. Gently and slowly pry outward. You should never hear splintering wood. If you do, stop and go slower. Jam the screw driver in and pry gently letting the tape separate from the rail or the cabinet on each place you jam. You should jam it in every two inches or so and should not have to pry very hard

The rail will come off all bent leaving some tape on the cabinet. This tape can help you secure the new rail on. You definitely do not need so much tape as they uses before. Pinballlife sells new rails and tape. I put about 5 2" strips of tape on the new rail and stick it on with the screw in front and one in back that has a shallow enough head to clear the bracket when the cabinet folds down.

It's actually a much scarier sounding task than it is.

#7 11 years ago

Just for laughs I opened this thread hoping to see the infamous blow torch method.
I believe it was in the BR GRG. Priceless.

Just playing BR that is funny $*It

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 21.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-rails-from-a-restored-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.