Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7DD274D5-A6EC-4260-8A10-C29E3355065A (resized).jpeg
997C9194-073B-45B9-8E17-9E806048DED3 (resized).jpeg
0950C1C2-1E8A-4EE5-B06B-EFD33F598AF8 (resized).png
70B6FAC7-B486-4706-B4B5-CACEB3BB11C7 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

What’s the safe way to remove these plastics? I saw a fancy tool you can buy on the internet, but will a regular crescent wrench work? Do you need two wrenches?

This is a 1980 Gottlieb spidey

70B6FAC7-B486-4706-B4B5-CACEB3BB11C7 (resized).jpeg70B6FAC7-B486-4706-B4B5-CACEB3BB11C7 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

You could use a wrench, or socket. It doesn't take much to get them loose.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PBEarwood:

You could use a wrench, or socket. It doesn't take much to get them loose.

Okay thanks, I'll give it a whirl!

#4 4 years ago

If the metal post starts turning inside the plastic post, you will need a second tool to grab the metal post. Unless you are ok with removing the whole post assembly.

A thin crescent wrench (spanner) works. Sounds like you were referring to this tool (which is available at pinballresource for $4). Needle nose pliers might also work if it is not on too tight.
0950C1C2-1E8A-4EE5-B06B-EFD33F598AF8 (resized).png0950C1C2-1E8A-4EE5-B06B-EFD33F598AF8 (resized).png

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

If the metal post starts turning inside the plastic post, you will need a second tool to grab the metal post. Unless you are ok with removing the whole post assembly.
A thin crescent wrench (spanner) works. Sounds like you were referring to this tool (which is available at pinballresource for $4). Needle nose pliers might also work if it is not on too tight.
[quoted image]

Yah, thats what I saw!
Definitely looks like a useful tool, I was just hoping to switch out some bulbs this weekend and hate waiting around for shipping. I'll have to see what kind of thin wrenches I can find locally.

#6 4 years ago

its basically just a divot repair tool used when golfing

#7 4 years ago

pair of needlenose usually work, on both ends, no special tools needed. then throw those metal nuts in the trash. nothing but junk and a hassle.
get the plastic ones.

#8 4 years ago

Buy a cheap 1/4 wrench and grind it a little thinner on a bench grinder. That's what I use. Works great

#9 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips, good news is I got the plastics off, but my goal is to change the lightbulb but I can’t figure out how to remove the bulb. It doesn’t seem to want to unscrew from the top of the play field, maybe it’s just stubborn but I feel like I’ll break the bulb if I try turning to hard.

Under the play field puzzles me because it looks like even if I unscrew the one screw that attaches the socket, the metal wire is still stapled so it doesn’t look like it would move very much?

What’s the actual procedure to remove these bulbs, is it from topside or from underneath the Pf?

7DD274D5-A6EC-4260-8A10-C29E3355065A (resized).jpeg7DD274D5-A6EC-4260-8A10-C29E3355065A (resized).jpeg997C9194-073B-45B9-8E17-9E806048DED3 (resized).jpeg997C9194-073B-45B9-8E17-9E806048DED3 (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago

push down and turn counterclockwise , you should also change the rubber , it looks original and is cracked and yellowed

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

push down and turn counterclockwise , you should also change the rubber , it looks original and is cracked and yellowed

Oh! Pushing down was the secret, thanks!
Yep, rubbers are on my list shipping stinks from the US so I haven’t ordered those yet.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

Oh! Pushing down was the secret, thanks!
Yep, rubbers are on my list shipping stinks from the US so I haven’t ordered those yet.

Where are you located?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Where are you located?

I’m in Canada too, suppose I should update my profile location.

#14 4 years ago

where exactly ? you might be able to have stuff shipped from Player one

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

where exactly ? you might be able to have stuff shipped from Player one

Outside of Kingston, ON.
I’ve ordered a few things from player one before, I’ll have to see if I can figure out what sizes of rubber I need because I don’t think they sell the kits.

#16 4 years ago

i think this is what you need https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/151 , it gives you what sizes your game has and how many ,

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

i think this is what you need https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/151 , it gives you what sizes your game has and how many ,

Wow thanks!

#18 4 years ago

let me see if i have enough of the rubbers to put this kit together , i can save you on shipping , canada post has free shipping on tuesday in oct for small bus accounts which is what i have , give me a few days , mike

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

I would not use titan rings.
Use original white rubber.

#20 4 years ago

yes that's what i would use white reg. rubbers , i just sent the titan post just for sizing

1 month later
#21 4 years ago

I know this is old post now, but I bought a rubber kit for mine at Marco. I also bought a buncha white barrel caps to replace the metal acorns. I think it makes the machine look brighter and cleaner and I never liked the feel of those caps tightening and loosening and you won’t need something to hold the post if the metal cap gets stuck. They’ll probably dry up and need to be replaced eventually but should be fine for many years. I kept the originals all in a bag for the diehards that want original parts if I ever sell it (not!). I also needed to replace a few screw posts in the process so good to order some of those too. If you’re ordering parts get yourself a new shooter rod spring too... highest tension (“red” one).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.